Proposal: Mon-Jets; Price for Laine + 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price has had a very good career to-date, he's now setup to retire in Montreal.

Let's just leave at that. The Jets are not giving up Laine or Ehlers for a 30yr old Price. If the Habs want to rebuild and start by trading a Price target someone else then the Jets, we have no interest. If you want to rebuild with Price, great congrats.

Fair assessment. See what happens in Montreal when we start 1-3 with a tough schedule? Some of the Fan base think we can rebuild easily and be the next Oilers or Leafs in 5 years. I give you my player and you are forced to give me this player type thinking.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
You wouldn't get Ehlers alone for Price. Get a grip.

Price has value for maybe 2-3 years,(if you are comfortable paying a goalie that ridiculous amount of $$, which few are)... after which
when his plays slows down he becomes one of the- if not THE- worst contract in the league.

I can see many teams not wanting to take him for anything more than a very cheap price, and probably teams who wouldn't want him for free at that lofty cap hit.

It's not because he's not good, it's because he's way too damn expensive with most of his best years already behind him.

Price contract carries a huge risk to be an unmoveable, long term anchor. Not sure why MTL fans don't want to acknowledge this. I guess it's easier to pretend he has some huge trade value, which is a laugh.

Ha ha, good luck than to the Jets if they think that they can get into the playoffs, or anywhere near a cup, with average goaltending and shakey defence the way the team is currently constructed. Price likely gets Winnipeg to a cup final.

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
Ha ha, good luck than to the Jets if they think that they can get into the playoffs, or anywhere near a cup, with average goaltending and shakey defence the way the team is currently constructed. Price likely gets Winnipeg to a cup final.

It's a horrible deal, why are you crying so much about it!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Fair assessment. See what happens in Montreal when we start 1-3 with a tough schedule? Some of the Fan base think we can rebuild easily and be the next Oilers or Leafs in 5 years. I give you my player and you are forced to give me this player type thinking.

We know about tough schedules in Oct as well, everyone around the team/media were predicting a tough start for the Jets in Oct. Add to that a poor couple first games and we had a tank thread on our forum after game 1 haha. Some fans need to chill, a season is a 82 game marathon not a 5 game sprint. One only needs to make the playoffs then anything can happen.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We know about tough schedules in Oct as well, everyone around the team/media were predicting a tough start for the Jets in Oct. Add to that a poor couple first games and we had a tank thread on our forum after game 1 haha. Some fans need to chill, a season is a 82 game marathon not a 5 game sprint. One only needs to make the playoffs then anything can happen.

Totally agree and I have said the same thing over and over with some of our Habs fan base and I get roasted for it. Some Habs fans are talking fits about our start and how Bergevin has left so much Cap Space. When we start 1-3.... along comes the Price trade proposals. I actually find it interesting to see what value Price would have on the trade market. We all remember what we got for Roy right? When was the last time a elite level goalie was traded like this?

broc

Dec 20, 2010

Lol. Typical fanboy answer when told nobody is interested in overpaying for an enormously contract goalie with his best years behind him. "Hahaha! Your team sucks anyway".

We need a head coach and goalie coach more than anything else. Actually I would like our head office cleaned out mostly. Why don't you go offer Carey Price even for Nico Hishier, or Jack Eichel, or Nolan Patrick even. Try getting Pastrnak. None of the fans of those teams would trade those guys straight up for Price either. Let alone ADD to them! You are stuck.

And it's kinda ironic to say Price is going to lead any team to the Cup, when all through his best years- of which he maybe has a few left- he didn't get the Habs to the Cup or even the finals either. And that was when he had a manageable cap hit to allow for more on-ice talent around him! So why some Habs fans are telling people he's practically going to make someone else's team a Cup contender... it makes no sense.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
You are delusional to think there would not be interest from teams like the Jets, Sabres, Flyers, NYI to acquire Price. Yes, Price has a big contract but he is one of the best goaltenders in the world and might bring a Cup to your city. GM's would seriously try to figure out how to take on that contract and the Habs might possibly absorb salary if the deal was right.
I assure you in any scenario that Price is moved the Habs will be 100% retaining salary. No other way he gets moved. Any goalie with a caphit of over $7mil per year is a very hard sell in any scenario, let alone a goalie signed with a caphit of over $10mil for what will be twilight of his career. There isn't a single team, not even the teams weakest in net, that will move anything substantial for Price.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Lol. Typical fanboy answer when told nobody is interested in overpaying for an enormously contract goalie with his best years behind him. "Hahaha! Your team sucks anyway".

We need a head coach and goalie coach more than anything else. Actually I would like our head office cleaned out mostly. Why don't you go offer Carey Price even for Nico Hishier, or Jack Eichel, or Nolan Patrick even. Try getting Pastrnak. None of the fans of those teams would trade those guys straight up for Price either. Let alone ADD to them! You are stuck.

And it's kinda ironic to say Price is going to lead any team to the Cup, when all through his best years- of which he maybe has a few left- he didn't get the Habs to the Cup or even the finals either. And that was when he had a manageable cap hit to allow for more on-ice talent around him! So why some Habs fans are telling people he's practically going to make someone else's team a Cup contender... it makes no sense.

Buffalo and Philly and Jersy don't have as good a team as Winnipeg, and Boston has Rask.
The point is Price gets the Jets much closer to a cup than he would other teams.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
ZWAaO.gif

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
LOL.

Only way Price is dealt is for cap space. No way he returns anything significant.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
This trade makes the Peg better on the ice and gets them in the playoffs but they don't touch it with a 100 meter pole.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The Winnipeg Jets lack the cap space to do this trade. Fort that reason (among many others that, for some reason, are filtered), I'm asking if some kind soul would lock this thread ASAP.

Now I am not saying the Jets should do this trade but you guys should stop using this lame ass excuse. Laine projects to be nearly 10 mil a year, how much is Mason? So long as the Habs take Mason back you are actually saving money in 2 years time.

It is an interesting proposal from the point of view of what is Price worth. You look at the Schneider trade and he went for a high first. You look at the Stephan trade he also went for a high first. I have to think Price is worth more than that.

This trade might have made sense right after Laine was drafted but his value is way too high now.

My guess is Laine is a Jet for at least the next 8-10 years. Other than trading him for an elite D/ #1C if the Jets had some career ending injury problems on their blue line or to Scheifele, maybe then they would move him and that is still a big if.

If the Habs want to trade Price my advice would be not to bother trying to get a Laine, Eichel or Matthews type player. You probably would have to settle for a 1rst a prospect and a goalie back.

Reactions: La Fierte du Quebec
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad