Proposal: Mon-Jets; Price for Laine + 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
when montreal blows up their team in a year or two price will be good to have to come up to the cap floor.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
WPG's in dire need of a good goalie. Schiefele considers Price one of the 5 toughest players he's ever faced, lol. I'm sure the future WPG captain would be hella excited to acquire a world-class goaltender like Price. It would also take WPG out of the shit they're in, and finally be able to contend. Maybe Trouba will want to stay with a winning WPG team.

Laine's not even a center. He's a great goalscorer, but I'm not sure his intelligence is the best out there... See for yourselves:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
WPG's in dire need of a good goalie. Schiefele considers Price one of the 5 toughest players he's ever faced, lol. I'm sure the future WPG captain would be hella excited to acquire a world-class goaltender like Price. It would also take WPG out of the **** they're in, and finally be able to contend. Maybe Trouba will want to stay with a winning WPG team.

Laine's not even a center. He's a great goalscorer, but I'm not sure his intelligence is the best out there... See for yourselves:

You do not have the assets to acquire Laine. We do not have the cap space to acquire Price. Let this thread die.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
You do not have the assets to acquire Laine. We do not have the cap space to acquire Price. Let this thread die.
I personally don't care about acquiring Laine, I just want a rebuild to happen. Price = playoffs. We don't have the players to step up in the playoffs, so our chances die with Price. Trade Price to a team that needs to contend (has the players and is 1 goalie away from being prime contenders), helps both teams out, since MTL needs to fully rebuild & the other team will be instant contenders. Without Price, Habs are a bottom-3 team (proven time and time again). Everyone keeps saying "oh but he's just turned 30..." If there's any goalie in the league right now who can play with 40 without a problem of regressing, it's Price. He plays more of a mental game than a physical one.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
WPG's in dire need of a good goalie. Schiefele considers Price one of the 5 toughest players he's ever faced, lol. I'm sure the future WPG captain would be hella excited to acquire a world-class goaltender like Price. It would also take WPG out of the **** they're in, and finally be able to contend. Maybe Trouba will want to stay with a winning WPG team.

You just seem bitter that our high draft pick isn't playing on the 4th line like yours.

Also, if we are cherrypicking plays, I don't want a goalie who can't use his stick

Reactions: Snowman

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I was waiting for someone to post vid of Hab goalies blowing easy saves. Multi from the greatest Habs goalie arguably ever Roy....blowing easy saves, hot dogging on save then scores on himself. The guys post is so silly not worth quoting.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I personally don't care about acquiring Laine, I just want a rebuild to happen. Price = playoffs. We don't have the players to step up in the playoffs, so our chances die with Price. Trade Price to a team that needs to contend (has the players and is 1 goalie away from being prime contenders), helps both teams out, since MTL needs to fully rebuild & the other team will be instant contenders. Without Price, Habs are a bottom-3 team (proven time and time again). Everyone keeps saying "oh but he's just turned 30..." If there's any goalie in the league right now who can play with 40 without a problem of regressing, it's Price. He plays more of a mental game.
And that team is not the Jets. Case closed.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
You just seem bitter that our high draft pick isn't playing on the 4th line like yours.
If Laine had scored on his own goal here, he'd be demoted and brought back to juniors. Unfortunately Galchenyuk isn't French-Canadian, so the coaches aren't as lenient with him as they are with the others.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
One really has to wonder the kind of thought process that goes into a proposal like this.

I mean, first, you start out by offering the Jets a player for which they don't have anything even distantly resembling the cap space in years going forward, particularly because of extensions for Ehlers and Little. You then ask for Laine in the return - an extremely valuable goal-scoring asset that the Jets badly need on an ELC, and yet is yet another scoring winger for a Habs team that desperately needs a center. And then you ask for a 1st on top of it, as though Price is so much of a superlegend generational guy that the Jets have to pay for the privilege.

It's hideously g-dawful for the Jets, the adds are on the wrong side, and it doesn't actually solve Montreal's most glaring problem.

How does one come up with this nonsense? What mental malpractice is necessary to develop this stuff?

It's just a proposal, dude.

Holy shit.

An enormously stupid one, but still.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
I was waiting for someone to post vid of Hab goalies blowing easy saves. Multi from the greatest Habs goalie arguably ever Roy....blowing easy saves, hot dogging on save then scores on himself. The guys post is so silly not worth quoting.
Laine does not get you in the playoffs, Price does. That's the big difference people are avoiding. Winnipeg should have been a prime contender for years now, but they keep wasting their time trying to find a goalie who could do the job. Throw Price in your net, and off you go flying to the playoffs. You have the team to go all the way - Laine alone won't make a difference - it's not like he's a playmaking center. He's useless other than scoring goals. But what will scoring goals do your team if you have a goalie who gets scored on nonstop? Wait 2 years and then have to pay Laine 10m++? Keep drafting picks and hope they are the "difference makers"? Price is the best goalie in the league, sure he's overpaid, but he's get your Jets to the Finals. Stop pretending as if Laine is that important to your team, because he's really not. He's just a really great sniper. I'd rather have a player like Bergeron or Getzlaf over Laine any day (and it's laughable how people think Laine has more value than Matthews/Scheifele, etc) - and if I was contending, I'd want Price on my team before I'd get 2 Laines.

Last edited:

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
I think management would just be happy that someone in a Montreal jersey finally scored a goal.
Judging how MTL's management mismanaged other players who went on to thrive with other teams (like Andrighetto lately, who was in and out of the lineup), they should maybe just fire themselves & give the job to someone competent. Any competent coach would try Galchenyuk with Drouin, or give him another "chance" at Center, since it's where Galchenyuk's been his most productive. Unfortunately every excuse in the world is thrown about how Galchenyuk sucks one way or another, and look: Habs still can't find a way to score a goal with their messiah, Drouin.

Instead of locking up players like Radulov, who drove the play & was our best Playoff performer last season, they let him walk only to sign dinosaurs like Alzner, Streit, Morrow, etc. That alone should tell everyone how much MTL's management f***ing sucks, lol.

That said, I do agree that Laine + 1st is a little much for Price. Laine for Price is more like it, considering the age difference, but meh. I just want Price out so we can rebuild, not because Laine would be our "savior" - which he won't be. (Yes, Laine would be our best player, but at 10m+ in 2 years, and not a center, that's gonna be rou-rou-roughhhh).

Last edited:

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Judging how MTL's management mismanaged other players who went on to thrive with other teams (like Andrighetto lately, who was in and out of the lineup), they should maybe just fire themselves & give the job to someone competent. Any competent coach would try Galchenyuk with Drouin, or give him another "chance" at Center, since it's where Galchenyuk's been his most productive. Unfortunately every excuse in the world is thrown about how Galchenyuk sucks one way or another, and look: Habs still can't find a way to score a goal with their messiah, Drouin.

Instead of locking up players like Radulov, who drove the play & was our best Playoff performer last season, they let him walk only to sign dinosaurs like Alzner, Streit, Morrow, etc. That alone should tell everyone how much MTL's management ****ing sucks, lol.

I am so confused. You're contradicting yourself here.

In the post above the one I am quoting you say: "Laine alone won't make a difference - it's not like he's a playmaking center. He's useless other than scoring goals."

Laine is not a playmaking center so he won't make a difference.

Then in this post I quoted you say: "Instead of locking up players like Radulov, who drove the play & was our best Playoff performer last season"

Well.....Radulov isn't a playmaking center....and he had less points that Laine last year. How is it that you can't win with a goalscoring winger yet your best player who you absolutely believe should have been re-signed, is lower scoring winger?

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
I am so confused. You're contradicting yourself here.

In the post above the one I am quoting you say: "Laine alone won't make a difference - it's not like he's a playmaking center. He's useless other than scoring goals."

Laine is not a playmaking center so he won't make a difference.

Then in this post I quoted you say: "Instead of locking up players like Radulov, who drove the play & was our best Playoff performer last season"

Well.....Radulov isn't a playmaking center....and he had less points that Laine last year. How is it that you can't win with a goalscoring winger yet your best player who you absolutely believe should have been re-signed, is lower scoring winger?
No, I'm not contradicting myself at all. If MTL added Laine to its roster, without losing Price: we would have a better chance in the playoffs, sure, since our biggest weakness = scoring goals. Also, Radulov drove the play, he was more of a playmaker than a goalscorer (like Laine/Pacioretty, etc) - and was the only one who produced for us in the playoffs. What I'm saying is that Price can carry a team to the playoffs alone (he has done so more than several times with an abysmal MTL team), but Laine won't be able to. Centers like Bergeron/Getzlaf help their teams tremendously because of their playmaking abilities and excellent defensive coverage, etc, but if they have a shitty goalie in the back, they could only go so far - imagine someone like Laine, lol... Goalies aren't hard to find, true, but we're not talking about just any goalie.. Price is in a class of his own. He's worth a lot more than a one-dimensional goalscorer like Laine. Sure, Laine's super exciting to watch, but he's not really a playmaker, and can't win games on his own. WPG would be in a far, far better state with Price than with Laine (they also have the 2 centers they need to go far in Scheifele and Little). I understand the age difference is concerning to some, but goalies have a longer lifespan (especially one like Price who's more mental than physical in his game).

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
No, I'm not contradicting myself at all. If MTL added Laine to its roster, without losing Price: we would have a better chance in the playoffs, sure, since our biggest weakness = scoring goals. Also, Radulov drove the play, he was more of a playmaker than a goalscorer (like Laine/Pacioretty, etc). What I'm saying is that Price can carry a team to the playoffs alone (he has done so more than several times with an abysmal MTL team), but Laine won't be able to. Centers like Bergeron/Getzlaf help their teams tremendously because of their playmaking abilities and excellent defensive coverage, etc, but if they have a ****ty goalie in the back, they could only go so far. Goalies aren't hard to find, true, but we're not talking about just any goalie.. Price is in a class of his own. He's worth a lot more than a one-dimensional goalscorer like Laine. Sure, Laine's super exciting to watch, but he's not really a playmaker, and can't win games on his own. WPG would be in a far, far better state with Price than with Laine (they also have the 2 centers they need to go far in Scheifele and Little). I understand the age difference is concerning to some, but goalies have a longer lifespan (especially one like Price who's more mental than physical in his game).

I don't think you've actually watched Laine play lol.

Yes he is primarily a goal scorer but he's good at driving the play and can make some excellent passes.

I mean just look at this:

or my personal favorite

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
I don't think you've actually watched Laine play lol.

Yes he is primarily a goal scorer but he's good at driving the play and can make some excellent passes.

I mean just look at this:

I love watching Laine. He's got some shades of Lemieux in him (with his stick handling, etc), and that was a sick, sick pass. But he's not a playmaking center, he's an exceptional, though one-dimensional, goalscorer in my eyes. I think if Price were 5 years younger, and signed to a slightly better contract, I'm sure lots of WPG fans would be down for it. You gotta give to receive, and Price is a league of his own goaltending-wise. Laine is exceptional too, which is why I've never said "ewwwwww" at this deal or anything. For a contending team that lacks a goalie, I take Price any day over Laine, but in MTL's case (where they need a rebuild), I'd do Laine for Price.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I love watching Laine. He's got some shades of Lemieux in him (with his stick handling, etc), and that was a sick, sick pass. But he's not a playmaking center, he's an exceptional, though one-dimensional, goalscorer in my eyes. I think if Price were 5 years younger, and signed to a slightly better contract, I'm sure lots of WPG fans would be down for it.

Plus he's 19. To fit him into a box and say that that is all he will be is just not right.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Laine does not get you in the playoffs, Price does. That's the big difference people are avoiding. Winnipeg should have been a prime contender for years now, but they keep wasting their time trying to find a goalie who could do the job. Throw Price in your net, and off you go flying to the playoffs. You have the team to go all the way - Laine alone won't make a difference - it's not like he's a playmaking center. He's useless other than scoring goals. But what will scoring goals do your team if you have a goalie who gets scored on nonstop? Wait 2 years and then have to pay Laine 10m++? Keep drafting picks and hope they are the "difference makers"? Price is the best goalie in the league, sure he's overpaid, but he's get your Jets to the Finals. Stop pretending as if Laine is that important to your team, because he's really not. He's just a really great sniper. I'd rather have a player like Bergeron or Getzlaf over Laine any day (and it's laughable how people think Laine has more value than Matthews/Scheifele, etc) - and if I was contending, I'd want Price on my team before I'd get 2 Laines.

Literally no thinks on our forum AM is worth more then Laine, if they do it's very few and their wrong. AM was the best rookie last year no questions asked.

No one in the nhl trades a 19 yr old Laine for a 32 yr old Getzaf or a 32 yr old Bergeron dude give your head a shake. Just like no one trades a 19 yr old Laine on his ELC for a 30 yr Price on a massive boat anchor contract.

The goal is not short term success (where your argument holds some merit), its long term success. Laine will be scoring crap loads of goals long after Price, Getzaf and Bergeron are retired.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Plus he's 19. To fit him into a box and say that that is all he will be is just not right.
He will get better with time, for sure. But his mold is that of a goalscorer/sniper. Pacioretty was the same, though obviously nowhere near as good as Laine who's truly exceptional.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I'm a fan of both team and I can tell you I don't like it from a WPG POV. If I were Bergevin I'd be all over this, but if I'm Winnipeg I wont event do it one for one. We need a good goaltender but not at the expense of our arguably best and youngest forward.

Reactions: loyaltotheend
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad