Proposal: Mon-Jets; Price for Laine + 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, no trade. They are all first line centers. Laine isn't in that category. He's being used as a second line winger with 13 minutes of ice time per night. And not only do the Jets get to keep their first line in tact, they even keep their second line center too. Laine may be used more in the future, but for the purposes of this year, the Jets can contend now if they acquire Price for their second line winger.

Scheifele is a different matter. I would keep Scheifele considering his age, position, skills, versatility, multi-dimensional abilities, and the fact he is their best player. Though he would be second to Price, after this trade.

Yes, I agree that Laine is currently a bit below the other three guys I mentioned in terms of value because of the C argument, but he's still got as much trade value as almost anyone in the league. He's not the type of player you sacrifice for the short term. And one game at 13:41 of ice time does not all of a sudden make him a 13 minute a night player. He's averaging 16 minutes this year and 17+ last year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
no doubt it would blow a hole in both teams, while filling their biggest one.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Yes, I agree that Laine is currently a bit below the other three guys I mentioned in terms of value because of the C argument, but he's still got as much trade value as almost anyone in the league. He's not the type of player you sacrifice for the short term. And one game at 13:41 of ice time does not all of a sudden make him a 13 minute a night player. He's averaging 16 minutes this year and 17+ last year.

Obviously I would prefer to acquire Price and keep Laine at the same time. But if I know I have a chance to contend this very year, then out of Scheifele/Ehlers/Wheeler/Laine, I keep the first three because then you can keep the Jets' first line intact, and also keep the team's three most statistically productive point scorers.

If you want to take a shot at the cup this year, trade Laine for Price, no questions asked. If you want to contend in the future instead, then think about it more. You still get 5-8 years of great Price.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, no trade. They are all first line centers. Laine isn't in that category. He's being used as a second line winger with 13 minutes of ice time per night. And not only do the Jets get to keep their first line in tact, they even keep their second line center too. Laine may be used more in the future, but for the purposes of this year, the Jets can contend now if they acquire Price for their second line winger.

I always find it interesting when very secure Leafs fans who don't care about Laine spend several hours/day on the Jets board in the Laine thread talking about Laine and then over here in the trade thread telling us to trade away Laine. The Laine obsession is a bit creepy.

If you want Price and don't think young RFA wingers have value, ship both Marner and Nylander to the Habs for him. Andersen looks very shakey this year - could maybe turn you guys into a contender?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I always find it interesting when Leafs fans who don't care about Laine spend several hours/day on the Jets board in the Laine thread talking about Laine and then over here in the trade thread telling us to trade away Laine. The Laine obsession is a bit creepy.

If you want Price and don't think young RFA wingers have value, ship both Marner and Nylander to the Habs for him. Andersen looks very shaky this year - could maybe turn you guys into a contender?

Do you not think it makes sense to trade a second line winger playing limited minutes for the world's best goalie if you want to contend this year? It's something to at the very least consider. The Jets have goaltending problems and it isn't just going away if you ignore it. You can't cover the sky with your hand.

I also like the Jets (especially Ehlers, but still the team as a whole), as I do many other teams, like the Maple Leafs and Canadiens and 28 other teams. Just because I am a fan of both the Jets and Canadiens doesn't mean I can't be objective for both teams. I'm just happening to speak from a Jets perspective here because they are the ones that would benefit from the Price trade to contender status.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Obviously I would prefer to acquire Price and keep Laine at the same time. But if I know I have a chance to contend this very year, then out of Scheifele/Ehlers/Wheeler/Laine, I keep the first three because then you can keep the Jets' first line intact, and also keep the team's three most statistically productive point scorers.

If you want to take a shot at the cup this year, trade Laine for Price, no questions asked. If you want to contend in the future instead, then think about it more. You still get 5-8 years of great Price.

Laine can quite easily replace Wheeler on that 1st line you want to keep intact.

As much as I like Wheeler, he is coming upon UFA status and I'd much rather keep Laine as in the near future Wheeler could be gone too.

Besides, Price wouldn't be god like on a team with no concept of how to properly defend consistently.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Laine can quite easily replace Wheeler on that 1st line you want to keep intact.

As much as I like Wheeler, he is coming upon UFA status and I'd much rather keep Laine as in the near future Wheeler could be gone too.

Besides, Price wouldn't be god like on a team with no concept of how to properly defend consistently.

In 5 years, yes, Winnipeg should prefer Laine to Wheeler. For this year? The Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler line is just too good. One of the best in the league. I wouldn't break that up.

The Oilers, Maple Leafs, Hurricanes, Flyers and a bunch of teams will only get stronger in the coming years. The old guard of the Blackhawks, Kings and perhaps even Penguins are declining. There is an opening, and the Stanley Cup is just screaming for a taker. This is the perfect time to try and contend. Winnipeg doesn't have any other holes except in goal. It's the bad goaltending that also makes the defence look bad.

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
In exchange for a world class game-breaking goalie with perhaps 8 years of great play left in him, all Winnipeg does is give up its second line winger in Laine.

You misspelled "Historically bad playoff goalie"

Price stands 44th all-time in career playoff GP. Of those 44 goalies, only 5 were unable to lead a team past the conference finals.

Mike Liut
Felix Potvin
Evgeni Nabokov
Curtis Joseph
Carry Price

Of those 5 goalies with the least playoff success, only Carey Price has a worse SV% and GAA in the playoffs than in the regular season.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Would the Jets have a better chance at contending in the short term if they had Price instead of Laine? Yes.

That said, the Jets have a young team and don’t need to sell out their premier young asset for an aging veteran. Price will be effective in the short-term, but he is a depreciating asset that will not sustain his performance in the long-term.

Laine, on the other hand, is an appreciating asset. He already made a large impact as an 18 year old in a very busy season. What will he accomplish in the future? Excited to see his goal totals.

Salary cap is a real thing. The contract the Habs gave Price was silly and will be awful as Price ages. It’s a brutal contract for the Jets to take on when they have a long-term window and a brutal contract for the Habs who should have been rebuilding.

I don’t know what the heck the Habs franchise plan actually is - looks like a mess to me. Good luck unloading those types of contracts. Chevy is smart enough to get good value for the $ he spends (see Schiefele and Ehlers contract).

I won’t hold this silly thread against Hab fans in general. Everyone has crazy zealots who make preposterous claims.

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
WPG's in dire need of a good goalie. Schiefele considers Price one of the 5 toughest players he's ever faced, lol. I'm sure the future WPG captain would be hella excited to acquire a world-class goaltender like Price. It would also take WPG out of the **** they're in, and finally be able to contend. Maybe Trouba will want to stay with a winning WPG team.

Laine's not even a center. He's a great goalscorer, but I'm not sure his intelligence is the best out there... See for yourselves:

Ha. Yeah, that could be a problem.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Yes I've called him out before, even told him once to leave a thread. He has some legit posts, but how he does it in every single thread is not good.

So yes we see it, but can't stop it either. TBH there are posters like him (or multi) from both fan bases. Both fan bases would be best suited by ignoring all of them, things would go much smoother

I think my ignore list may have been reset when the site switched formats. Seeing lots of people I thought I had blocked.

I agree, there are many more, and plenty from my own fanbase, I don't pretend otherwise. There's one in particular who tries to say Matthews >\= McDavid (clearly false, which I consider no insult to Matthews) at every opportunity.

Glad to know you recognize them for what they are

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I wonder if Dallas would be a better option for Price. They are in a win now mode and don't have great goaltending.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Price is not going to get any main roster players off the Jets. If anything were to ever happen it would be picks and prospects, isn't that the point of a rebuild?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I wonder if Dallas would be a better option for Price. They are in a win now mode and don't have great goaltending.

Did you forget they signed Bishop? I somehow doubt they want to carry almost 16M in just goalie salaries

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Do you not think it makes sense to trade a second line winger playing limited minutes for the world's best goalie if you want to contend this year? It's something to at the very least consider. The Jets have goaltending problems and it isn't just going away if you ignore it. You can't cover the sky with your hand.

I also like the Jets (especially Ehlers, but still the team as a whole), as I do many other teams, like the Maple Leafs and Canadiens and 28 other teams. Just because I am a fan of both the Jets and Canadiens doesn't mean I can't be objective for both teams. I'm just happening to speak from a Jets perspective here because they are the ones that would benefit from the Price trade to contender status.
leaf fan calling Laine a 2nd line winger. There's really only one purpose why you even post in this thread that you think saying "i also like the jets" masks.
How insecure are you about your team? truly amazing. I don't think I'd even call you a fan at this point.

Last edited:

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

Nobody is ignoring anything. We know that Leafs fans like you and the Winter Soldier parody account - adults who have invested a lot of time and energy over the past year criticizing the rival of their favorite teenage player - always have what is best for the Jets near and dear to your hearts. And so we gave that thought experiment as much time and credibility as it deserved.

In fact, it was such a tremendous idea that we wondered why the Leafs wouldn't package together their much worse and older 2nd line winger (Marner) and occassional 4th line winger (Nylander) to the Habs for Price to deal with their significant goaltending issues. I'm asking this as a Leafs fan who really wants to see the Leafs win the Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->