Speculation: Molson Has Met Privately With Patrick Roy Recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I am not one to jump on the bandwagon for McGuire but it seem to me that taking a gamble on Bergevin to turn this thing around is a gamble Molson shouldn't be taking.He has done enough damage already.I would give McGuire a chance.How much worse can this team get?We are a lottery team for crying out loud.

I agree on Bergevin; he shouldn't have gotten that ridiculous extension. I don't see how you'd want McGuire in his role when there are highly experienced and educated candidates. Julien BrisBois would my choice over McGuire 100% of the time.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didn't mean to imply that your excellent piece was an endorsement of any kind. There's little doubt that in the traditional type of hockey fraternity, McGuire stands out as non-traditional, which is not a negative thing in itself, but in an old-boys macho environment, a "geek" would be fodder for ridicule and bias.

It's unfortunate that hockey is slow to escape the anti-intellectual atmosphere where self-proclaimed "fighters" get more latitude and respect than genuine thinkers.

I think McGuire is more in line with where the game is going, in terms of management profiles -- you're seeing more and more highly educated individuals acceding to positions of authority.

However, I'd argue that it's not what McGuire says as a broadcaster during games, most of it soundbytes packaged to fit limited time slots and made on-the-fly. I would challenge anyone to put out as much air time as McGuire does and not find contradictions. The examples given about how he says he's favoring one guy over another and is proven wrong pale in comparison to the ones he gets right. And in the end, it's all about batting average and prevailing over the most substantive decisions with more consistency than not. It's not about the time he said something about a particular player. Or about imputing to him assertions he's never made, like the one involving the Habs and Oilers and what he'd do if he were the Oilers and how a ton of Hab fans refer to the supposition to mean what he'd do if he were the Habs.

My contention with him is how he's not been involved within management and has not done his classes from within and spent any time in a GM's office. He would have made a fine assistant in my view, had he stuck to it and invested himself in that capacity, for a significant time. Him coming from the broadcast booth now would put him at a clear disadvantage. There is no sense drumming up pieces about who he allegedly was in 1994, one just needs to look at the path he's chosen and where he's at now. And now and probably for the rest of his career, he's a broadcaster, a good one at that and doesn't deserve any bashing for it.

Nor does he deserve to be exorcised for any consideration someone may give him as a GM candidate in a hypothetical -- you can't blame the guy for throwing his name into a hat whenever a team is canvassing for a new GM, but so what. He's done well for himself and even if he's never hired by an NHL team again, he's been influential in his own way, possibly way more than some GMs, certainly a ton more than a lame-ass nepotist like Bergevin will ever be.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
They are really someone who want Pierre McGuire ??

Yes, i can tell you right now he won’t be wearing purple pants, ever. Will never grow a homelles beard and won’t walk out of a conference meeting holding a plant in front of him.

He would of definitly have kept Subban and probably never drafted Price.

Reactions: LarryO

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yes, i can tell you right now he won’t be wearing purple pants, ever. Will never grow a homelles beard and won’t walk out of a conference meeting holding a plant in front of him.

He would of definitly have kept Subban and probably never drafted Price.

he will talk about Weber long stick, be creepy with the journalists ? he as 0 experience in this domain, he's not in the league since 25 years ...

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd love to give McGuire the chance to put his money where his mouth is and I doubt he could do any worse than the buffoon who occupies the GM's office now, or the buffoon who preceded the current buffoon. My only worry is his health as he is currently battling cancer. But from what he's said the prognosis is good and he's still a relatively young man. I'd sooner hire him than another empty suit like Brisebois, who I think is overrated simply because he's the next available francophone.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I'd love to give McGuire the chance to put his money where his mouth is and I doubt he could do any worse than the buffoon who occupies the GM's office now, or the buffoon who preceded the current buffoon. My only worry is his health as he is currently battling cancer. But from what he's said the prognosis is good and he's still a relatively young man. I'd sooner hire him than another empty suit like Brisebois, who I think is overrated simply because he's the next available francophone.

Agreed
And I don't really care what other people / fans around the league would think about the move
He knows what is needed here and I'm sure he would try to build it
He would also be a lot more active around the media and let fans know what's the plan and things they are working on. Not like the salam we have now

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

It appears you know absolutely nothing about the resume of Julien BrisBois. I'd highly recommend you do some research before calling him an empty suit. He's quite likely the best candidate of any language and your preference of McGuire to him is pure comedy.

Honestly, that's as embarrassing and ignorant a take as I've read here for a very long time.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I know plenty about Brisebois. I'm not that impressed with him. He's too much the type of guy that the Habs always hire. They need a paradigm shift, not a tweak. I want a revolution and I want it to be messy. It's what this franchise needs.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I know plenty about Brisebois. I'm not that impressed with him. He's too much the type of guy that the Habs always hire. They need a paradigm shift, not a tweak. I want a revolution and I want it to be messy. It's what this franchise needs.

BriseBois is the antithesis of the kind of guy the Habs usually hire. If you want messy, perhaps McGuire is the best candidate.

If you want a modern, intelligent, educated man who's also a perennial winner, you take BriseBois every time.

You haven't made a single valid point, or even tried to, to support your skewed and misguided dislike of BrisBois.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014

Roy is the man. If anyone can throw out the language nonesene and drive the media nuts, it's Roy.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Your idea of paradigm shift is to replace a generally old school hockey lifer with significant connections to the media with a generally old school hockey lifer with significant connections to the media?

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
I don't dislike him (although his last name gives me bad flashbacks of #43/#71) but he doesn't overly impress me. He's a number cruncher. I don't see any evidence of genius.

Agreed but if we are looking for someone "out of the box", and a shit disturber with the press, he is it. Every one else is to much into being PC with the media.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Your idea of paradigm shift is to replace a generally old school hockey lifer with significant connections to the media with a generally old school hockey lifer with significant connections to the media?
I don't think McGuire was ever or is now "old school" and he would certainly be a departure from the types of GM's the Habs usually hire. It's pretty much the reason why I don't think he'll ever actually be hired. He doesn't fit the profile. McGuire is more "Subbanesque" than "Weberish" and we all know where Habs' management and ownership come down on that topic.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't think McGuire was ever or is now "old school" and he would certainly be a departure from the types of GM's the Habs usually hire. It's pretty much the reason why I don't think he'll ever actually be hired. He doesn't fit the profile. McGuire is more "Subbanesque" than "Weberish" and we all know where Habs' management and ownership come down on that topic.

McGuire also has had plenty of takes where he lines up with the more old school player. He just personally likes Subban.

He also was willing to trade Subban to get #1OA in 2012. He doesn't like using new stats at all to help decision making processes and he loves guys like Alzner and Gudbranson. He's old school.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not everybody

Maybe hate is a strong word but the ship was going off the rail and most fans were losing their minds and couldn't stand him. There were things like putting BGL on the first line and so forth that were mind boggling. It reminded me a lot of what is happening here. Feels like GMs around here start to do solid things earlier in their mandate then crawl under the pressure and do stupid stuff 5 years in their run. Instead of being better and better they keep getting worse.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
McGuire also has had plenty of takes where he lines up with the more old school player. He just personally likes Subban.

He also was willing to trade Subban to get #1OA in 2012. He doesn't like using new stats at all to help decision making processes and he loves guys like Alzner and Gudbranson. He's old school.

I think McGuire would be great at assembling a scouting staff and system. I think he also has some appreciation for accumulating picks and prospects. I wouldn’t want him actually making decisions on the information though, because I agree that he is old school.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
Molson clearly has no b...s, how can he still trust and have faith in Bergevin after what he did during his 6 years as GM?

What we need is a Vince McMahon type owner, who won’t be afraid to say it out loud if things are bad...

Vince: Hey Marc
you-re-fired_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This won't surprise anyone but no one else is saying it as directly and overtly as Luc Gélinas just did:

Questionné sur les rumeurs qui planent sur l'arrivée possible de Patrick Roy dans un palier de direction chez le Canadien, Luc Gélinas de RDS a été assez clair pour dire qu'il ne pensait pas que ce serait possible, détectant une incompatibilité flagrante entre les deux hommes.

«C'est clair que les deux ne peuvent pas travailler ensemble» a d'abord laissé tomber Gélinas tout en ajoutant «pour moi c'est impossible que Patrick Roy et Marc Bergevin travaillent ensemble, à cause de Marc Bergevin«.

«Pour travailler avec Marc Bergevin, pour être un allier à Marc Bergevin, il faut que tu sois un yes man...ça c'est mon opinion» a conclu Gélinas, qui côtoie beaucoup de monde granvitant dans l'entourage du CH au cours d'une saison.

Clip is here, but my laptop won't load it: RadioEGO.com - «Pour travailler avec Marc Bergevin, il faut que tu sois un yes man» —Luc Gélinas

Basic premise: To work with Marc Bergevin, you need to be his ally, you need to be a yes-man. Roy and Bergevin will never be able to work together for that reason, as there is a major incompatibility between the two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad