Speculation: Molson Has Met Privately With Patrick Roy Recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
What you mean to say is that you've been following hockey long enough to know that an education hasn't traditionally been highly valued.

That is true, but if your eyes are still open you can easily see that the NHL is quickly moving towards managers who know something besides hockey. A GM and/or President have to be concerned about the NHLPA, the CBA, the salary cap, advanced stats and any number of things that haven't traditionally been in hockey.

I'm honestly astonished that anyone can claim educated people aren't a necessity in any endeavor. You brought up Yzerman. Fine. Do you knowknow who is his Ass. GM? A guy who's a lawyer, a cap expert, a CBA expert, a financial expert, a successful GM in his own right and surprise!!! He also knows about hockey.

The league is slow to appreciate the necessity for experience and knowledge outside of hockey. Seems like a lot of fans are slow as well.

You seriously believe people are complaining about Bergevin for no reason? By "you people" you mean fans who are tired of watching a hack simultaneously demolish the team's roster and reputation?

He's by far the worst GM I've seen in Montreal. He's inept and arrogant. He's a dinosaur clinging to ideas of a game that doesn't exist any more. And his team after 6 years on the job is a bottom dwelling embarrassment.

It's worth pointing out that the level of education matters less then the person's intelligence. There are plenty of people who have a university degree who aren't particularly bright, and lots of people who dropout who are intelligent. You don't need to go to school to learn how to negotiate contracts, or to read/understand the CBA or understand how the cap works, etc... You can learn all these things outside of school.

Bergevin's problem isn't that he doesn't have a degree, it's that he seems incapable of learning anything new. He's never learnt from his mistakes or from looking around the league. He's stuck believing the things he believed 20+ years ago because that's what he believed as a player.

I also have a hard time believing that Bergevin couldn't get a degree if he actually put in the work. It's not that difficult, you can get through on hard work without being particularly intelligent.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What you mean to say is that you've been following hockey long enough to know that an education hasn't traditionally been highly valued.

That is true, but if your eyes are still open you can easily see that the NHL is quickly moving towards managers who know something besides hockey. A GM and/or President have to be concerned about the NHLPA, the CBA, the salary cap, advanced stats and any number of things that haven't traditionally been in hockey.

I'm honestly astonished that anyone can claim educated people aren't a necessity in any endeavor. You brought up Yzerman. Fine. Do you knowknow who is his Ass. GM? A guy who's a lawyer, a cap expert, a CBA expert, a financial expert, a successful GM in his own right and surprise!!! He also knows about hockey.

The league is slow to appreciate the necessity for experience and knowledge outside of hockey. Seems like a lot of fans are slow as well.

You seriously believe people are complaining about Bergevin for no reason? By "you people" you mean fans who are tired of watching a hack simultaneously demolish the team's roster and reputation?

He's by far the worst GM I've seen in Montreal. He's inept and arrogant. He's a dinosaur clinging to ideas of a game that doesn't exist any more. And his team after 6 years on the job is a bottom dwelling embarrassment.

Congrats on a well-thought out post that describes how hockey is managed in the current NHL, not several decades ago.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's worth pointing out that the level of education matters less then the person's intelligence. There are plenty of people who have a university degree who aren't particularly bright, and lots of people who dropout who are intelligent. You don't need to go to school to learn how to negotiate contracts, or to read/understand the CBA or understand how the cap works, etc... You can learn all these things outside of school.

Bergevin's problem isn't that he doesn't have a degree, it's that he seems incapable of learning anything new. He's never learnt from his mistakes or from looking around the league. He's stuck believing the things he believed 20+ years ago because that's what he believed as a player.

I also have a hard time believing that Bergevin couldn't get a degree if he actually put in the work. It's not that difficult, you can get through on hard work without being particularly intelligent.

I never thought Bergevin's problem specifically was a lack of education. He is just not a smart man. I want his replacement to be educated if it's a good match for the reasons I explained earlier.

We have a perfect opportunity to woo Julien BrisBois to replace Bergevin. Since Molson has made it a necessity to hire bilingual management, BrisBois is the ideal candidate. There aren't many like him regardless of language, and if we screw up by keeping Bergevin well after his expiry date, it will likely be another parade of unworthy, incompetent, backwards thinking men who will keep the Canadiens in the Dark Ages far into the future.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
maybe for president because he nows how to bring a winning culture, but I don't think he is a good DG. I saw hi work in the Q with the Ramparts and when he was in the Q he was not In my 5 best DG ! Jérome Mésonero, Martin Mondou, Steve Ahem, Alexandre Rouleau, Gilles Bouchard where better then him

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anything that gets rid of Bergevin

Even if it takes Roy as prez, I'm willing to take that risk
No man. No.
If we get rid of Bergevin and then Roy swoops in, we aren't going to fire Roy next year or the following one. We are looking at another 3-5 years with him and he isn't going to be all that much better.
I rather keep Bergevin for another year, fire him then and hire an actual competent replacement.
No point in firing this turd just to lock us in for another 3-5 years of crap.

Reactions: Peanut

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Julien Brisebois
Martin Brodeur
Dean Lombardi
Paul Fenton
Bill Zitto
Joel Bouchard
Warren Rychel
Bill Guerin
Tom Fitzgerald
Martin Madden Jr

these are 10 names that will be better options for DG

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Julien Brisebois
Martin Brodeur
Dean Lombardi
Paul Fenton
Bill Zitto
Joel Bouchard
Warren Rychel
Bill Guerin
Tom Fitzgerald
Martin Madden Jr

Like it or not Molson isn't hiring anyone who doesn't speak French.

Reactions: Habs Icing

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
I also think the french thing could be avoided if he hires a French president for example in a year or two if he hires Brodeur(Example) as President then a well known english gm could fly because you have Brodeur satisfying the Language factor .

For as many times a GM speaks lol The President could be there as well

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I also think the french thing could be avoided if he hires a French president for example in a year or two if he hires Brodeur(Example) as President then a well known english gm could fly because you have Brodeur satisfying the Language factor .

For as many times a GM speaks lol The President could be there as well

I think that as long as naming a francophone in a President capacity and making it part of his job for him to be available to the French speaking media, it's going to provide the team with more latitude to hire the best available GM candidate, which fortunately for Montreal, happens to include Julien BriseBois.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I never thought Bergevin's problem specifically was a lack of education. He is just not a smart man. I want his replacement to be educated if it's a good match for the reasons I explained earlier.

We have a perfect opportunity to woo Julien BrisBois to replace Bergevin. Since Molson has made it a necessity to hire bilingual management, BrisBois is the ideal candidate. There aren't many like him regardless of language, and if we screw up by keeping Bergevin well after his expiry date, it will likely be another parade of unworthy, incompetent, backwards thinking men who will keep the Canadiens in the Dark Ages far into the future.

Unless we get Dahlin and Tavares, I'm resigned to the fact that we won't contend next year. With a little luck and Price standing on his head we could squeak into the playoffs and Bergevin is brought back yet again. So I really hope, if we don't get Dahlin and Tavares, that we have another year just as miserable as this one. Bergevin has to go for us to have any hope of building a successful team.

For me the tank continues the 1st game of the season next year: on gagne rien pour Julien (Brisebois).

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Very very interesting to hear he met with Roy.

I know Molson is the face of the ownership group, he does have a board to report to....in the last 3 seasons we have had what, 2-3 home dates in the playoffs...that's alot of lost revenue. Is Molson getting pressure from his board? Or just the fans? The media seem to scared to ask any tough questions...

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
A good president is not about knowing the product at hand. You have folks under you for that. A good president is all about image, vision and putting in place the right pieces. Its macromanagement, not micro.

You see a lot of presidents move from company to company with great success, yet in different fields.

Pierre Boivin was a solid president, after a very disturbed period in the franchise history. The brand grew so much that he made a fortune for Gillet. I believe he got a very good bonus when George sold to Geoff. And rightly so.
Gillette, Boivin and Gainey gave the Habs their identity and respectability back.

Molson hired, Bergevin and Therrien..........I mean wow...

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Julien Brisebois
Martin Brodeur
Dean Lombardi
Paul Fenton
Bill Zitto
Joel Bouchard
Warren Rychel
Bill Guerin
Tom Fitzgerald
Martin Madden Jr

Haha Warren.

If you liked golden boy Drouin you'll love diamond boy Kerby. Team strategy pass the puck to Kerby.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Not everybody
Absolutely not everybody.

Gaines was one of the best minds in hockey until he lost his daughter. He had made some great moves, and had the Habs in a good spot. He had everyone’s respect and wasn’t afraid of the French or English media. After he lost his daughter he wasn’t the same. And who could blame him?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Unless we get Dahlin and Tavares, I'm resigned to the fact that we won't contend next year. With a little luck and Price standing on his head we could squeak into the playoffs and Bergevin is brought back yet again. So I really hope, if we don't get Dahlin and Tavares, that we have another year just as miserable as this one. Bergevin has to go for us to have any hope of building a successful team.

For me the tank continues the 1st game of the season next year: on gagne rien pour Julien (Brisebois).
I don't think we would contend even with them. It's not like the rest of the East is going to stand still or worsen while we improve.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Absolutely not everybody.

Gaines was one of the best minds in hockey until he lost his daughter. He had made some great moves, and had the Habs in a good spot. He had everyone’s respect and wasn’t afraid of the French or English media. After he lost his daughter he wasn’t the same. And who could blame him?

He had also lost his wife to cancer a few years before.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I really don't mind if Roy got a job in the organization to be honest.
I see him as team President
I don't want anything to do with him coaching or being the GM of this team

Reactions: Kimota
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad