Speculation: Molson Has Met Privately With Patrick Roy Recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
This won't surprise anyone but no one else is saying it as directly and overtly as Luc Gélinas just did:

Questionné sur les rumeurs qui planent sur l'arrivée possible de Patrick Roy dans un palier de direction chez le Canadien, Luc Gélinas de RDS a été assez clair pour dire qu'il ne pensait pas que ce serait possible, détectant une incompatibilité flagrante entre les deux hommes.

«C'est clair que les deux ne peuvent pas travailler ensemble» a d'abord laissé tomber Gélinas tout en ajoutant «pour moi c'est impossible que Patrick Roy et Marc Bergevin travaillent ensemble, à cause de Marc Bergevin«.

«Pour travailler avec Marc Bergevin, pour être un allier à Marc Bergevin, il faut que tu sois un yes man...ça c'est mon opinion» a conclu Gélinas, qui côtoie beaucoup de monde granvitant dans l'entourage du CH au cours d'une saison.

Clip is here, but my laptop won't load it: RadioEGO.com - «Pour travailler avec Marc Bergevin, il faut que tu sois un yes man» —Luc Gélinas

Basic premise: To work with Marc Bergevin, you need to be his ally, you need to be a yes-man. Roy and Bergevin will never be able to work together for that reason, as there is a major incompatibility between the two.

I'm sure this comes as no surprise to most regular posters here. There may still be a few who will dispute it.

Thanks for posting this.

Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
This won't surprise anyone but no one else is saying it as directly and overtly as Luc Gélinas just did:

Questionné sur les rumeurs qui planent sur l'arrivée possible de Patrick Roy dans un palier de direction chez le Canadien, Luc Gélinas de RDS a été assez clair pour dire qu'il ne pensait pas que ce serait possible, détectant une incompatibilité flagrante entre les deux hommes.

«C'est clair que les deux ne peuvent pas travailler ensemble» a d'abord laissé tomber Gélinas tout en ajoutant «pour moi c'est impossible que Patrick Roy et Marc Bergevin travaillent ensemble, à cause de Marc Bergevin«.

«Pour travailler avec Marc Bergevin, pour être un allier à Marc Bergevin, il faut que tu sois un yes man...ça c'est mon opinion» a conclu Gélinas, qui côtoie beaucoup de monde granvitant dans l'entourage du CH au cours d'une saison.

Clip is here, but my laptop won't load it: RadioEGO.com - «Pour travailler avec Marc Bergevin, il faut que tu sois un yes man» —Luc Gélinas

Basic premise: To work with Marc Bergevin, you need to be his ally, you need to be a yes-man. Roy and Bergevin will never be able to work together for that reason, as there is a major incompatibility between the two.

Luc fesse dans le dash! Great quote.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Luc fesse dans le dash! Great quote.

Gélinas has always been one of the few to say what he thinks. I remember couple of days before Turgeon was traded there was a rumor he was going to be traded for Corson. Gélinas was laughing out loud at this rumor on RDS. When the trade happened every **** journalists was saying it was great trade because of kirktr and everything. Baron was suddenly an awesome dman like Benn was last summer. I could not believe it. Gélinas was kind of dumbing down on his opinion the previous week about it being a laughable trade but you could clearly see he was not comfortable with this trade at all.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Maybe... juuust maybe, Molsac finally realized he got conned and is now manoeuvering to get Roy on top of Bergevin to drive him to resign so he doesnt have to own up on the rest of the contract.

Epic hockey melodrama :popcorn:

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Maybe... juuust maybe, Molsac finally realized he got conned and is now manoeuvering to get Roy on top of Bergevin to drive him to resign so he doesnt have to own up on the rest of the contract.

Epic hockey melodrama :popcorn:

Molsac- good one :laugh:. I have my doubts about Roy due to his temperament but at least it will be entertaining, perhaps it will end up in fisticuffs with Roy winning in a TKO. :towel:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I really hope they bring in Patrick Roy and give him carte-blanche.Let him coach and GM if he wants.I know most people wouldn't like that, but if anyone deserves a chance, it's Roy.His Colorado stint was not good, but I think he deserves another chance.I trust him to bring a burning will to win and do what is necessary to get it done.I fully support his candidature.

I hear Carbo's name was also mentionned.Not sure how I feel about that, but anyone would be better than Bergevin.I know many disliked Carbo as a coach, but the main point I remember from his reign is that we had the most entertaining season since the early 90s (07-08).

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I really hope they bring in Patrick Roy and give him carte-blanche.Let him coach and GM if he wants.I know most people wouldn't like that, but if anyone deserves a chance, it's Roy.His Colorado stint was not good, but I think he deserves another chance.I trust him to bring a burning will to win and do what is necessary to get it done.I fully support his candidature.

I hear Carbo's name was also mentionned.Not sure how I feel about that, but anyone would be better than Bergevin.I know many disliked Carbo as a coach, but the main point I remember from his reign is that we had the most entertaining season since the early 90s (07-08).

Didn't he have a burning will to win back in Colorado? And why does he deserve a chance after abandoning the Canadiens because his ego couldn't handle the embarrassment of the blow out against Detroit? Corey made the mistake with siding with Tremblay but Roy brought it on himself.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Didn't he have a burning will to win back in Colorado? And why does he deserve a chance after abandoning the Canadiens because his ego couldn't handle the embarrassment of the blow out against Detroit? Corey made the mistake with siding with Tremblay but Roy brought it on himself.

You cannot win every time.

I really don't care about Roy's ego.He deserves his ego, he's the greatest goalie of all-time and arguably the greatest playoff player ever.And to be honest, I think the ego thing is overblown.For what I know most people enjoy working/playing with Roy.The way you talk about him is if he was some sort of cancer which is nonesense.Tremblay was a rookie coach, ex-role player from a dynasty.I like Tremblay, but what he did to Roy was unacceptable.

Maybe Roy abandoned the Canadiens, but the Canadiens abandoned Roy, like they abandoned Lafleur before him.But Roy also brought the two last Stanley Cups to Montreal, and that's wayyyyy more than enough to compensate for how his Montreal career ended.

It's not like there's a lot of grandiose candidates around.Dean Lombardi would be a decent choice, but who else? Just bring in Roy and give him his real shot.He's at the perfect age for this now.Still young enough, hungry enough, sharp enough.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
I may be in the minority, but I will take Bergevin over Roy or McGuire any day.
The “hey can’t do worse” type thinking is how we got the Houle and Tremblay era, and say what you will but that era was waaaay worse than anything before or since.
Roy is a hot head. You can be a hot head coach (or at least you use to be able to), but you can not be a hot head GM. Brian Burke is the closest to that that I can think of. And he isn’t even close temperament wise to Roy. Patrick as GM would be a bigger disaster than the Habs have now.
McGuire should not even enter the conversation. This guy would of traded Subban for Yakapov. You think Bergevin didn’t do well in the Subban trade? Still better than Pierre. Players, coaches and GM’s around the league don’t respect Pierre. He is a TV clown. I would rather resign Réjean Houle than consider Pierre.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I may be in the minority, but I will take Bergevin over Roy or McGuire any day.
The “hey can’t do worse” type thinking is how we got the Houle and Tremblay era, and say what you will but that era was waaaay worse than anything before or since.
Roy is a hot head. You can be a hot head coach (or at least you use to be able to), but you can not be a hot head GM. Brian Burke is the closest to that that I can think of. And he isn’t even close temperament wise to Roy. Patrick as GM would be a bigger disaster than the Habs have now.
McGuire should not even enter the conversation. This guy would of traded Subban for Yakapov. You think Bergevin didn’t do well in the Subban trade? Still better than Pierre. Players, coaches and GM’s around the league don’t respect Pierre. He is a TV clown. I would rather resign Réjean Houle than consider Pierre.

Bergevin is waaaay worse and it's not even close. He's set 100+ year old franchise records for worst team performance. This is a FACT. Worst part is that the worst has yet to come. Habs are facing down the barrel of a gun with a declining Goalie and #1D on the Cap for 20M per year, then add useless players like Shaw and Alzner. In what way is Bergevin better than Houle? HELLOOooooo?

I actually think that Pierre McGuire gets a bad Rap. The guy knows hockey. In fact I don't know if there's anyone that knows more about hockey players than he does. He can also put more than two words together to form a comprehensible sentence which is more than I can say about Bergevin.

I don't know if PM would make a good GM but we shouldn't judge him from his TV personality. The guy is paid to color commentate and fill air time. I dare anyone to talk in front of a live audience 24/7 and not say something stupid. I bet you $1000 bucks that if you made a prediction before every trade and every prospect that you would be wrong more often than you were right. Nobody get's it right all of the time, not even the people who get paid millions of bucks to do it. And sometimes these talking heads say controversial things in order to get views. That's just how it works. Don't know if he would make a good GM but hard to imagine the club in a worst state than it is now under Marc Bergevin.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I don't think many wanted McGuire to be GM.
The fear was that he'd be a really bad GM. Perhaps not as bad as Bergevin has been, but still really bad.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't think many wanted McGuire to be GM.
The fear was that he'd be a really bad GM. Perhaps not as bad as Bergevin has been, but still really bad.
I don't think anyone, could have been as bad as MB the last six years, that being said, the one guy who could be worse is Mcguire...this guy is beyond being a clown...I would rather give it to Tim and Sid, than Mcguire. Might even consider Milbury, before Mcguire...yup.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This guy would of traded Subban for Yakapov.

That's not what he said, the story has been debunked many times over on this forum.

What McGuire actually said is that if he were the Oilers, he would have attempted to trade Yakupov in order to land Subban. He never made that claim from a Habs' perspective.

Reactions: groovejuice

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
That's not what he said, the story has been debunked many times over on this forum.

What McGuire actually said is that if he were the Oilers, he would have attempted to trade Yakupov in order to land Subban. He never made that claim from a Habs' perspective.

And it makes total sense for Edmonton to target a defenseman like Subban with their 1st. This was before Subban even won his Norris Trophy. That would have been a better deal for them considering they ultimately ended up giving up Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. Ouch!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The story has been debunked??? I heard him say it. He said Montreal should trade 3rd overall and Subban for 1st overall and 'something'. He never said what the something was.

I don't know what you're remembering him saying but can assure you that we have tackled this many times over and he was advocating the trade from the Oilers' perspective. If you feel otherwise, I respectfully disagree and that's that. I never try to convince anyone of somehing they're adamant about, so I respect your opinion and leave it at that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Interesting interview this evening on 98.5 by Mario Langue-sale with experts in crisis management from the business world, namely Luc Lavoie who was an advisor and communications expert with Brian Mulroney and Québecor and Steve Flanagan who has had similar high level mandates.

Lavoie has a long record of expertise and follows the team as a fan. But, as a business expert, his take is clear: "This is the worst managed business I have ever seen." I'm going to try and find the audio, so that I can more accurately reprise his comments, as he had a few.

One of the experts also added that Bergevin now has an obligation of result -- meaning that he cannot fail, he absolutely has to deliver. He cannot come back with "we used our best efforts" or whatever other factor may intervene in the future that gets the best of the Habs.

About Molson's declaration reconfirming Bergevin, one of the experts said that the announcement regarding what would happen in the off season was too ambiguous. Both experts couldn't understand the decision to allow Bergevin a reprieve and Lavoie in particular stressed how 6 years was more than enough time for Bergevin to have delivered -- it would be a different story if this had happened after his second year.

Lavoie citing Luc Beauregard, who was handling the sale of Molson way back when (maybe he was referring to Molson disposing of a major asset or assets years ago) -- he had said how the Habs don't belong to Molson, they belong to fans (he used "peuple", which can have multiple meanings, a common one might be a kind of nationalistic treasure or heritage).

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Pierre McGuire?

Pierre "Drafting Carey Price is off the reservation!" McGuire?

Pierre "Luke Schenn is a human eraser!" McGuire?

Pierre "I was at Ray Shero's wedding and he offered me an assistant gm job with the Penguins in 2005 and I turned it down because i'll only take a GM job despite having no experience with an NHL club since 1996" McGuire?

I swear some people.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Pierre McGuire?

Pierre "I was at Ray Shero's wedding and he offered me an assistant gm job with the Penguins in 2005 and I turned it down because i'll only take a GM job despite having no experience with an NHL club since 1996" McGuire?

I swear some people.

You shouldn’t need to explain yourself with this guy. Look at the way he presents himselfs and the fact no other organization will take him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Listening to the conclusion of that interview right now between Marion Langue-sale, Luc Lavoie and Steve Flanagan -- both experts are saying how detrimental it will be when the crunch comes, in the ambit of season ticket sales. They need to announce a clear plan and explain how come there was so much cap money that wasn't spent.

Lavoie said that whenever he was handling major crisis management situations, when they had called on him, it was already too late -- when the company retained his services, it's cause they had already tried everything. Flanagan adds that his job is to bring the decision-makers to tackle what they won't. Lavoie adds that there is a bunker mentality in these type of crisis situations.

This season was a game-changer as per Flanagan -- the team can't afford any more promises it can't deliver on, you have to be transparent with fans.

Both Flanagan and Lavoie are advocating the hiring of a hockey expert to join the fray and be on top of the hockey hierarchy -- if they are restructuring, they need to say it.

Lavoie: he's not confident they'll do what they say they are going to do. It'll take a real hockey president, like they have done in Toronto and elsewhere.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pierre McGuire?

I swear some people.

It's one thing to call the guy on stuff he's actually said. The argument above had to do with something he didn't say, namely that he was advocating for the Habs to trade Subban for Yakupov. He never did. He was merely saying that if he were the Oilers, that's what he'd do.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It's one thing to call the guy on stuff he's actually said. The argument above had to do with something he didn't say, namely that he was advocating for the Habs to trade Subban for Yakupov. He never did. He was merely saying that if he were the Oilers, that's what he'd do.

You missed the people earlier advocating for him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You missed the people earlier advocating for him.

Not at all, I participated in that too. I was merely trying to carve out this one point, but am on board with the idea that McGuire is not qualified to hold a senior management position in an NHL office -- he chose a different career path and that's that.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

The problem is that I believe the deal he suggested was 3rd OA + Subban for 1st OA.

Did anyone, anywhere actually think Yakupov was worth that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad