Speculation: Molson Has Met Privately With Patrick Roy Recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I get the feeling McGuire is pretty much similar to Bergevin, a man who salivate over character above everything. Tho, McGuire at least seems to understand the changes in modern hockey better than Bergevin.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
You cannot win every time.

I really don't care about Roy's ego.He deserves his ego, he's the greatest goalie of all-time and arguably the greatest playoff player ever.And to be honest, I think the ego thing is overblown.For what I know most people enjoy working/playing with Roy.The way you talk about him is if he was some sort of cancer which is nonesense.Tremblay was a rookie coach, ex-role player from a dynasty.I like Tremblay, but what he did to Roy was unacceptable.

Maybe Roy abandoned the Canadiens, but the Canadiens abandoned Roy, like they abandoned Lafleur before him.But Roy also brought the two last Stanley Cups to Montreal, and that's wayyyyy more than enough to compensate for how his Montreal career ended.

It's not like there's a lot of grandiose candidates around.Dean Lombardi would be a decent choice, but who else? Just bring in Roy and give him his real shot.He's at the perfect age for this now.Still young enough, hungry enough, sharp enough.

Saying someone deserves his ego is the same as saying someone deserves to be a dick, can't stand arrogant f***s and don't care who they are or what they did.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
let me get this straight
some feel that we're not in dire enough straits so we should bring in the mega-maniacal Roy or the pompous McGuire?
Lets rewind the tape and see all the Mcguire's monsters, while for Roy, being a great goalie does not a good GM make. I dont think his years in the Q count as he was coaching a bunch of kids wanting to make the NHL. not sure his shtick would wash with today's nhlers

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The problem is that I believe the deal he suggested was 3rd OA + Subban for 1st OA.

Did anyone, anywhere actually think Yakupov was worth that?

That's a separate argument and I can't disagree, that it is lopsided.

However, I can honestly say I don't remember him making the claim so I'll defer to you on this.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That's a separate argument and I can't disagree, that it is lopsided.

However, I can honestly say I don't remember him making the claim so I'll defer to you on this.

I don't think he was totally serious, but was definitely throwing out some crazy grenades, likely just to be provocative.

Reactions: Runner77

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
McGuire also has had plenty of takes where he lines up with the more old school player. He just personally likes Subban.

He also was willing to trade Subban to get #1OA in 2012. He doesn't like using new stats at all to help decision making processes and he loves guys like Alzner and Gudbranson. He's old school.

His take was that the ballpark to start the discussion for Yakupov (1st overall), was Subban PLUS our 3rd overall.

He's a nerd. The internet is full of nerds. So he's got a following right there.

He would be a real disaster of a GM.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
I vote saint patrick for GM and coach if he wants

he was my hero that brought us a cup as a boy and if he could be my hero that brings us a cup as a man well, that would just bring my life full circle.

mcguire can take over for timmins. hed be good at that, ya know since he knows every teenage hockey player in the world personally.

edit: and before you say he cant coach he won a Jack Adams 4 years ago

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
let me get this straight
some feel that we're not in dire enough straits so we should bring in the mega-maniacal Roy or the pompous McGuire?
Lets rewind the tape and see all the Mcguire's monsters, while for Roy, being a great goalie does not a good GM make. I dont think his years in the Q count as he was coaching a bunch of kids wanting to make the NHL. not sure his shtick would wash with today's nhlers

Give me an mega-maniacal every day if he's a superior brainiac with balls. Alexander The Great was that.

Reactions: CapSpace

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It's debatable. It's not the NHL. He was not into the business of building a dynasty. Junior management is always focused on the short and medium term, always in a need to build for tge future. Pretty sure he took a gamble to make sure he could keep the team competitive once the draftees would leave.

Exactly.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think he was totally serious, but was definitely throwing out some crazy grenades, likely just to be provocative.

Whether he was serious or not, whether he would've actually made the trade as Habs GM is irrelevant. He thought value wise it was fair which shows how badly he evaluated both Subban and Yakupov.

Not being able to properly evaluate skill guys is the exact problem we have with Bergevin. I don't expect a GM to be right every time when it comes to prospects, but Subban had been in the NHL as a #1 D-man for 2 years already and they still couldn't evaluate him properly which is an issue.

Reactions: groovejuice

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Molson and Bergevin are apparently having their own end of year pressers.

Who wants to bet that Molson introduces Roy as team president during his presser lol

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Molson and Bergevin are apparently having their own end of year pressers.

Who wants to bet that Molson introduces Roy as team president during his presser lol

is that true? I wouldn't have much confidence if I was still Habs' GM

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lavoie said as much on TVA.

This is the most significant piece of news to come out of the Habs' camp following tonight's game and Lavoie's dropping is nowhere to be found on his twitter account, on TVA Spanre or anywhere else. Seems odd.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
This is the most significant piece of news to come out of the Habs' camp following tonight's game and Lavoie's dropping is nowhere to be found on his twitter account, on TVA Spanre or anywhere else. Seems odd.

Our inferiors over at the r/Habs posted it as well. Apparently it was during a live TV segment on TVA.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Our inferiors over at the r/Habs posted it as well. Apparently it was during a live TV segment on TVA.

Yeah, I had already checked over our at our minor league feeder system, just in case. But, they're in the minors for a reason.

None of the usual suspects have a link other regurgitating it as news from Lavoie.

Reactions: NobleSix

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Roy is a walking time bomb but at least he has passion to win. All these years i havent seen even a hint of that in Bergevin.

This situation, if it is true, reminds to me what happened in Edmonton. When they hired president for hockey ops, inept GM McTavish was canned a very same summer after that. This is the only way how Molson avoid situation where he personally got to dismiss MB. Cowardly but acceptable if we get rid of MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->