Confirmed with Link: Mojo 2.0 | Marcus Johansson (50% retained) to WSH for Daniel Sprong, 2022 4th round pick, 2023 6th round pick

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Carrying the puck into the zone I think will be his greatest contribution, both 5x5 and on PP2. I thought more highly of Sprong than Lavi did, but I'm ok with this. Don't care about the 4th rounder and 6th rounder (in different years)

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Team D (read: D from fwds) has been one of the biggest issues the last couple years
Mojo is a significant upgrade in that regard
During the three seasons prior to this one, Capitals scored 3.3 goals/60min during the regular season. Over the same time frame, they have scored 2.05 goals per 60 minutes in the playoffs. Team defense.

Solution is to swap Sprong for Johansson, apparently.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I'm not a Mojo fan and was a Sprong fan (mostly that shot). Even though I think they overpaid, as long as Mojo never sees time in the top 6 I can sigh and accept it. His versatility to play the wings and C and ... Uh ... Um ... Other stuff ... Might not hurt too much.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The silver lining here is that I actually do hope Johansson reclaims his PP1 slot the next time the PP slumps a bit. He genuinely thrived in that zone entry + net front role.

Reactions: tycoonheart

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Speculation, I wonder if Sprong dogs it in practice or something. All the concerns with his "200 ft game" seemed overblown based on what we saw on the ice (and not out of line compared to several other forwards on this team), but coaches don't seem to like him much.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Speculation, I wonder if Sprong dogs it in practice or something. All the concerns with his "200 ft game" seemed overblown based on what we saw on the ice (and not out of line compared to several other forwards on this team), but coaches don't seem to like him much.
I never understood it. Good for him that he went to another team and away from Lavi. He didn't seem any more irresponsible than half of our forwards. And his plus/minus was ok. I'm sure someone will show me some analytic that details how he sucks.

Reactions: RandyHolt and Peeri

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I never understood it. Good for him that he went to another team and away from Lavi. He didn't seem any more irresponsible than half of our forwards. And his plus/minus was ok. I'm sure someone will show me some analytic that details how he sucks.
I don’t think many analytics shows that he sucks. I liked him and was expecting/hoping for him to solidify himself in the middle 6 this year but he is clearly a guy who is less than the sum of his parts.

Reactions: RandyHolt

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Pens, Ducks, and now Caps have moved on from Sprong. I doubt Lavi is his only problem. But I'm sure he will look fine scoring 20 goals on a bad team

Reactions: Calicaps

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
That was my point previously. Half of the forwards suck defensively and everyone picks on Sprong, i guess the standards are different when your salary is bigger.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
That was my point previously. Half of the forwards suck defensively and everyone picks on Sprong, i guess the standards are different when your salary is bigger.
I doubt the standard are different regardless of salary. I think the difference is others show progress and willingness and Sprong doesn't. He's had the same knock against him consistently since he came into the league, regardless of team or coach. He's 25. If he's not getting with the program by now, what's the problem? And do we have the time to wait for him to either buy in or figure it out?

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I doubt the standard are different regardless of salary. I think the difference is others show progress and willingness and Sprong doesn't. He's had the same knock against him consistently since he came into the league, regardless of team or coach. He's 25. If he's not getting with the program by now, what's the problem? And do we have the time to wait for him to either buy in or figure it out?
Personally I think the Caps made a lousy deal. I hope I am wrong.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Personally I think the Caps made a lousy deal. I hope I am wrong.

Because you like goals, and who doesn't? The kid has wheels and a helluva shot. But that's about it. The rest of his game is pretty bad. If you want to be a one dimensional sniper, you better be a no-brainer top 6 guy putting up 30+ on the regular. Anything short of that and your coaches are going to need you to play D. It's that simple.

And as good as his shot is, he's not lighting the lamp that much or that consistently. Not the end of the world as long as the rest of his game isn't dogshit, but the rest of his game is dogshit.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Because you like goals, and who doesn't? The kid has wheels and a helluva shot. But that's about it. The rest of his game is pretty bad. If you want to be a one dimensional sniper, you better be a no-brainer top 6 guy putting up 30+ on the regular. Anything short of that and your coaches are going to need you to play D. It's that simple.

And as good as his shot is, he's not lighting the lamp that much or that consistently. Not the end of the world as long as the rest of his game isn't dogshit, but the rest of his game is dogshit.
The rest of his game is not that bad..the numbers say he isnt bad. Watching the games some other forwards are like him defensively with the Caps.

MJ has not been good...at any part of his game. Maybe they think he will just snap of it and become MJ of 2016.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It was pretty clear after Sprongs poor game and getting benched from the 2nd line in the 3rd period his time in Washington was over.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Sprong was still such a liability on the defensive side so MoJo sliding into his slot is an improvement come playoff hockey time.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Spring’s issues are not just defensive. Unless he has the puck, he is terrible at the cycle game, he struggles at making and receiving passes. Routinely lets pucks bounce past him at inopportune times - like in the slot, or at the blue line.

He comes out at the beginning of games, firing away, and looking strong. And you keep thinking - “all right! This is the game he starts piling up goals!” But then he doesn’t, quickly gets discouraged, skulks around and then disappears rest of the game.

He was much better last year, he just didn’t seem to mesh this year for whatever reason. I wish he had because we need that offensive skill. It is what it is.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I feel bad for Sprong. He is so close to being a pretty good goal scorer in the NHL but yeah…just lacks that consistency and his defensive side of the game is downright awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad