Confirmed with Link: Mojo 2.0 | Marcus Johansson (50% retained) to WSH for Daniel Sprong, 2022 4th round pick, 2023 6th round pick

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
I like the idea of having Mojo as insurance for Eller as well. If Eller goes down, you move Dowd up to the 3rd line and use Mojo as #4C
This is actually the best explanation I have seen on here for this trade....it makes sense in that light but seriously were there no other players to add besides MOjO? I still want to stab myself in the eyes though

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
This is actually the best explanation I have seen on here for this trade....it makes sense in that light but seriously were there no other players to add besides MOjO? I still want to stab myself in the eyes though
I don't know where this idea of Johansson playing center comes from. He is a winger, has always been a winger. He isn't particularly good at being a winger, either.

Reactions: McVechkin

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

At $750K of cap space, with good certainty that he'd fit the current system and for the price we paid? I don't think there were many options for that price.

Reactions: Firsov99

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I’m not sure what all the ‘this is a downgrade’ talk is about. Mojo plays either wing, and can play center if needed.

Ovi-Kuzy-Wilson
Mantha-Backstrom-Oshie
CMM-Eller-Mojo/Sheary
Mojo/Sheary-Dowd-Hathaway
AJF

You suddenly have four lines Lavi can trust, along with a guy who can PK and is a much better passer on the power play than many here are remembering. We urgently needed to improve PP2 personnel because we saw that there was nobody who could realistically fill in for Backstrom or Kuzy on PP1 - the whole powerplay just stopped working with either guy out. They tried Eller, Sheary, Mantha and various rookies, and it just didn’t work. Mojo may help them there.

It’s also worth remembering that Mojo was almost always used in the top-6 during the playoffs - it was only during the I’ll-conceived Mike Richards experiment that they actually played in him on the 3rd line wing. Being able to keep Mojo and Sheary in the bottom-6 when the team is healthy may represent a depth and dynamic we haven’t seen, at least during Mojo’s first tenure here.

Sprong had good games and bad games, but even on a good day wasn’t someone you could rely on to provide secondary scoring. Whether Mojo 2.0 proves to be more reliable in that aspect remains to be seen, but given we don’t even know that Mojo will be in the full healthy lineup I struggle to see how he’s a downgrade right now.

Also worth remembering that Mojo had a beast of a playoffs for Boston, and the Caps enquired about signing him as a free agent that off season and the possibility of trading for him last year…

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
I seem to remember MOJO taking a lot of Face Off's as a Cap, whether it was from someone being thrown out, I don't remember. Does not change things, still... sad he will wear a Caps sweater again. Hopefully he will just take Sprongs spot in the press box

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I don't know where this idea of Johansson playing center comes from. He is a winger, has always been a winger. He isn't particularly good at being a winger, either.
He’s played adequately at center for both the Caps and the Wild for more than a trivial number of games. He played quite a number of games at 3C the year before they acquired Eller after Beagle got hurt, as well as occaisonal spot duty at 1C or 2C. He was a top-6 Center for the Wild for a good portion of last year. I agree he’s naturally a winger, and Mojo has said in the past he feels more comfortable on the wing, but he can play Center in the way that Raffl could, or Oshie did. If two of our four centers went out, I’d rather have Mojo in the middle than a Hershey vet like Sgarbossa (assuming Lavi isn’t going to trust a second rookie at C alongside CMM).

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
He’s played adequately at center for both the Caps and the Wild for more than a trivial number of games. He played quite a number of games at 3C the year before they acquired Eller after Beagle got hurt, as well as occaisonal spot duty at 1C or 2C. He was a top-6 Center for the Wild for a good portion of last year. I agree he’s naturally a winger, and Mojo has said in the past he feels more comfortable on the wing, but he can play Center in the way that Raffl could, or Oshie did. If two of our four centers went out, I’d rather have Mojo in the middle than a Hershey vet like Sgarbossa (assuming Lavi isn’t going to trust a second rookie at C alongside CMM).
Johansson cannot play center worth shit. Neither could Raffl. Neither can Oshie.

Johansson is an answer to a question that noone asked. Much like Raffl was last year. But hey, at least we paid a lot more for him than we did for Raffl.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Johansson cannot play center worth shit. Neither could Raffl. Neither can Oshie.

Johansson is an answer to a question that noone asked. Much like Raffl was last year. But hey, at least we paid a lot more for him than we did for Raffl.
You spelled Oshie wrong it is Oshinjury

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Wonder how much of this reflects a plateua-ing/slight decline in Wilson's puck possession/puck management capabilities. While those had been rising incrementally most of this year, they seem to have taken a bit of downward turn of late. Many more puck fumbles, missed passes, botched clears from him lately - especially last night as we were trying to come back. Maybe the thinking is that if we're down a goal or two late, Wilson gets flipped to the 3rd line and MoJo moves up.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
where was all the hate like this for the Rafl trade last season. This cant be much worst then that shit head

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Has anyone already joked about "getting the MoJo back"? :)

We are so cash-strapped we can hardly afford a significant upgrade.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
mojo sucks big time, just watch him play. i did and i regret. stupid unnecessary trade

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

When Mojo was in Washington, he was decent at driving play and playmaking when down the middle, while his wingers for the 3C experiment were mostly Chimera and Wilson (while still a grinder) or Beagle, so he didn’t have a tonne to work with.

His line struggled more defensively than you’d like, and faceoffs were a significant (perceived) issue. He isn’t a guy I’m pencilling down the middle on a healthy team, because he’s never going to be a Kuznetsov or an Eller. But if he’s number 6 on your center depth chart (after Kuzy, Backstrom, Eller, Dowd and CMM), he isn’t bad depth to have.

And like I say, we don’t even know that Mojo is intended to be a regular.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Drink it in…..they went for familiarity and low cost….

At least he can enter the zone with possession lol…..

I’m fine with it….Sprong is a flawed player. He’ll do well in Seattle.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
where was all the hate like this for the Rafl trade last season. This cant be much worst then that shit head

Paid a 5th for that 'placeholder'. Paid a 4th, 6th and Sprong for this regurgitation.

Between these two trades and the acquisition of Kovalchuk's corps, Caps have given away enough tidbits to put together a tadbit.

Reactions: swansonsays

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Paid a 5th for that 'placeholder'. Paid a 4th, 6th and Sprong for this regurgitation.

Between these two trades and the acquisition of Kovalchuk's corps, Caps have given away enough tidbits to put together a tadbit.
All seem to be pretty bad trades TBH. Rentals cost alot and you dont get great players

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Caps only traded a 5th round pick for him.

Although by that logic they ultimately traded an undersized AHL defensemen (Djoos), a fourth and a sixth for a guy who’s on a 37 point pace coming from a bad team that has practically no high-end talent on it. When you go back and look at the prices they paid for Hagelin, Dillon, Shattenkirk, Mike Webber… the price of acquiring Mojo is pretty nominal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad