Confirmed with Link: Mojo 2.0 | Marcus Johansson (50% retained) to WSH for Daniel Sprong, 2022 4th round pick, 2023 6th round pick

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Not sure I get this one. What exactly does MoJo add at this point over Sprong?
the things that sprong doesn't, but that cuts both ways.

I don't think the GM values one above the other, I think he got tired of dicking around waiting for Laviolette to play a full lineup and cut his losses. This one, to me, absolutely reeks of "fine have it your way, but next time I'm making sure you can't".

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Positional flexibility and someone that Laviolette can trust with the lead or in more important situations.
the things that sprong doesn't, but that cuts both ways.

I don't think the GM values one above the other, I think he got tired of dicking around waiting for Laviolette to play a full lineup and cut his losses. This one, to me, absolutely reeks of "fine have it your way, but next time I'm making sure you can't".

Seems weird because MoJo doesn't seem to be that defensive player he was a few years ago.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Seems weird because MoJo doesn't seem to be that defensive player he was a few years ago.
neither was hagelin but that didn't stop anybody from trying all year. Mojo was probably one of the ones they could get with retention and familiarity did the rest. They got the best versions of the players Laviolette clearly prefers without actually having to get rid of the ones they expect to outlast him, so they'll kick at the can with this veteran bullshit style this year and then likely reshape things

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
neither was hagelin but that didn't stop anybody from trying all year. Mojo was probably one of the ones they could get with retention and familiarity did the rest. They got the best versions of the players Laviolette clearly prefers without actually having to get rid of the ones they expect to outlast him, so they'll kick at the can with this veteran bullshit style this year and then likely reshape things

Really? The only thing left in Hagelin's game from watching him the last few years is his defensive game.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
People are overthinking the Sprong thing.

It’s similar to other players who wanted to play and couldn’t here. Vrana wasn’t a top 6 forwards almost every year here. Stephenson wanted out. Etc.

Simply put: Sprong wanted playing time so they moved him where he can play more. He was a upset player and you can’t blame him.

Reactions: Roshi

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Really? The only thing left in Hagelin's game from watching him the last few years is his defensive game.
That'd be the first mistake, then, because you're not wrong but this year is not any of those other years. Imagine that slipping back to "about average" and what are you left with? Because the Caps played that guy a lot, even in situations where they actively needed goals to tie games.

What's actually happening on the ice has a pretty mild and fluctuating effect on who is actually granted ice time this year.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Lavi just didn’t trust Sprong. Sprong was a healthy scratch when all the other forwards were healthy and when he did dress he was stapled to the bench in close games, especially late if the Caps had the lead. He also didn’t finish as well as someone with his skill set should have — I think he was just unlucky more than anything — so his offensive game didn’t make up for his lack of defense. It’s unfortunate because I liked him as a player but it was clear he didn’t have a future here.

The Caps third line never had an identity this year and they set out to change it at the deadline. They weren’t a scoring line but they weren’t exactly tough to play against either. Ironically the best third line they had metrics-wise was Sprong-McMichael-Wilson but that was never going to fly in the playoffs.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

A few people have answered this, but no one has mentioned that MoJo distributes the puck well. He still has wheels and he's creative. Our 3rd line needs that. Eller is good with the puck on his stick, but his offensive IQ is nothing special. He puts up the same 12 goals and 35 points no matter what. We've tried surrounding him with better wings, but the Sprongs and Shearys of the world are more finishers than playmakers. For everything that Eller lacks in the creativity department he makes up for with strong positional play. He can get to the net and finish if you put it on his stick.

So a guy like MoJo might be the kind of player that line needs to get something going offensively, and he's got the wheels and vision to do the same other places in the lineup, too. I'm not sure I agree that he can play multiple positions. Lining up on either wing isn't that big a deal and we have better C options than him if someone gets hurt. But just like Sheary, he does have the tools to plug in on the top 6 and make things happen in a pinch. He's a good chemistry guy that can slot in on any line.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
A few people have answered this, but no one has mentioned that MoJo distributes the puck well. He still has wheels and he's creative. Our 3rd line needs that. Eller is good with the puck on his stick, but his offensive IQ is nothing special. He puts up the same 12 goals and 35 points no matter what. We've tried surrounding him with better wings, but the Sprongs and Shearys of the world are more finishers than playmakers. For everything that Eller lacks in the creativity department he makes up for with strong positional play. He can get to the net and finish if you put it on his stick.

So a guy like MoJo might be the kind of player that line needs to get something going offensively, and he's got the wheels and vision to do the same other places in the lineup, too. I'm not sure I agree that he can play multiple positions. Lining up on either wing isn't that big a deal and we have better C options than him if someone gets hurt. But just like Sheary, he does have the tools to plug in on the top 6 and make things happen in a pinch. He's a good chemistry guy that can slot in on any line.

More offense? Lavi has immediatley banished MoJo to nacho duty

Reactions: tycoonheart

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I think I’m in the minority here but MoJo is the best player in this trade and we lowered salary to get Larsson. Plus, more Swedes. And Marcus is way better at carrying the puck. I like it.

Sprong wasn’t playing that well anyway.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Seattle fans really like this trade..no surprise. They have 12 draft picks in this draft and 9 in 2023..wow.
I would from their perspective too. They get a younger guy that has shown the ability to score, which they desperately need. They do play pretty defensive as well so we will see how trusted he is there, but he should get some PP time.

They likely weren’t going to resign Johansson (and the Caps weren’t going to resign Sprong). Seems like the trade was a 4th for Mojo and then a 6th to take Sprong’s contract and retain half of Mojo’s, so that the Caps had room to get Larsson.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
They moved out discomforted player, and brought back a well known feel-good-vet. its a "mood trade". You want guys who want to be there, and are happy to be on the team.

Even if MoJo doesnt play a game its ok deal. He will be there hanging out with the boys, bringing positive vibes, while Larsson plays a shutdown game instead of Sprong.

Its not always just about who is the better player in a vaccuum. If you wasnt going to spend 2x1sts + for a top rental, best way to strengthen your core is to give them the positive vibes :)

I like it. Welcome back MoJo, lets rock the red again, like we used way back then!

Reactions: illicit

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
With all his flybys and injuries...at least I can finally use this again:

pray-for-mojo-simpsons.gif

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
We’ll see how it plays out on the ice, but not gonna lie, I’m liking the vibes of bringing him back. From what he’s said, this feels like home to him still and he seems to be close with a lot of the guys.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad