Confirmed with Link: Mojo 2.0 | Marcus Johansson (50% retained) to WSH for Daniel Sprong, 2022 4th round pick, 2023 6th round pick

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Top line Johansson gives me concern that management's perspective of this player is stuck in 2017.

Maybe, but initially it's gotta be more about Dowd being out and 1RW not producing much lately. So I don't think they're overestimating MoJo as much as they're putting him with two guys he's played with a bunch before, giving him a better chance of hitting the ground running. When Dowd's back and Eller is back at 3C, he'll probably make more sense on Eller's wing.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
He has comfort playing with both 8 and 92 as well. Sheary hasn’t looked great in that spot and neither has Wilson. Worth a shot. If it doesn’t work out, put Oshie up there.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Mojo could be a middle-6 versatile guy, could be worse (doubtful)... but there is a chance he could be 1RW for a period of time. I think that's worth a try.

Getting Sprong out could be a blessing in disguise too. He wouldn't win a spot against Protas or Jimi next year anyway (highly likely).

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
So far not much good to be said about Mojo. Man had 1st line duties and nothing to show for it. And today some abysmal defending from him. Not actually sure why was he brought back to the team. Did they expect top 9 production from him?

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So far not much good to be said about Mojo. Man had 1st line duties and nothing to show for it. And today some abysmal defending from him. Not actually sure why was he brought back to the team. Did they expect top 9 production from him?

Yeah it’s been bad so far. I don’t really know what they expected from him, but he doesn’t have much time to find a spot here. Another brutal effort from him tonight.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Id suppose they arent expecting much more than any of us, but whats the problem in giving it a go. He is here. Give him some time and see if he can help. If not, put him down in the lineup or bench, not a big loss.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
3 goals in 3 games for sprong since being traded

In the season he was traded from PIT to ANH he had just 4 assists and no goals in 16 games as a Pen. After being traded to ANH he scored in his first game as a Duck, and then netted 2 more a few games later. He put up some goals here and there for a few months then disappeared for a long stretch. But he ended up with 14 goals in 47 games as a Duck that season (which is similar to his output as a Cap last year).

Yet ANH brass (like Caps brass) were not pleased. In the following season of 2019-20 Sprong only played 8 games total, spending most of his time in the AHL presumably to work on his notoriously absent defense. In Dec 2019 an injury forced a call-up for one game, but he was sent back down after a -3. Later he was called up again and had 1G/1A in his return. He played 6 more games and had zero points.

Seattle has nothing to lose in turning him loose, except maybe salary cap. Sprong is an RFA next year and could raise his value significantly if he can just go out and snipe for the next month. I don't expect he'll be working on his defense.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm not sure I've seen Johansson make one strong offensive play since he's been back. Maybe I've missed it. I know he's capable of it but I think part of the problem is how little space they generate for one another due to a lack of sharp pace generally. It's a slog and in a slog, despite his skating, you don't really want Johanssons. You want more robust grinders. Barring Johansson showing more I'd sit him or Eller for Larsson when he's ready. Then I'd think about sitting the other whenever Snively is ready, assuming they haven't boxed themselves in and can actually activate him.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Sheary - Backstrom - Mantha
Larsson - McMichael - Oshie
Eller - Dowd - Hathaway

Re: Snively, move Larsson down and Snively with CMM but I doubt they put the two together and actually play them routinely when it matters. I fully expect CMM also sits with Eller/Larsson at 3C for moar defense. Either way...four games, no points and sub-replacement level offense from 90 certainly calls for at least a demotion.

Reactions: Misery74

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not sure I've seen Johansson make one strong offensive play since he's been back. Maybe I've missed it. I know he's capable of it but I think part of the problem is how little space they generate for one another due to a lack of sharp pace generally. It's a slog and in a slog, despite his skating, you don't really want Johanssons. You want more robust grinders. Barring Johansson showing more I'd sit him or Eller for Larsson when he's ready. Then I'd think about sitting the other whenever Snively is ready, assuming they haven't boxed themselves in and can actually activate him.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Sheary - Backstrom - Mantha
Larsson - McMichael - Oshie
Eller - Dowd - Hathaway

Re: Snively, move Larsson down and Snively with CMM but I doubt they put the two together and actually play them routinely when it matters. I fully expect CMM also sits with Eller/Larsson at 3C for moar defense. Either way...four games, no points and sub-replacement level offense from 90 certainly calls for at least a demotion.

I don't think it's space or pace or other general concepts regarding systems or philosophies. Mojo looks like shit. Period. He's had space and time and everything else and just made boneheaded or inexplicable plays...fast, slow, whatever.

If CMM did one of the dozen things Mojo does per game he'd be benched by the 2nd period.

Reactions: Misery74

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
In the season he was traded from PIT to ANH he had just 4 assists and no goals in 16 games as a Pen. After being traded to ANH he scored in his first game as a Duck, and then netted 2 more a few games later. He put up some goals here and there for a few months then disappeared for a long stretch. But he ended up with 14 goals in 47 games as a Duck that season (which is similar to his output as a Cap last year).

Yet ANH brass (like Caps brass) were not pleased. In the following season of 2019-20 Sprong only played 8 games total, spending most of his time in the AHL presumably to work on his notoriously absent defense. In Dec 2019 an injury forced a call-up for one game, but he was sent back down after a -3. Later he was called up again and had 1G/1A in his return. He played 6 more games and had zero points.

Seattle has nothing to lose in turning him loose, except maybe salary cap. Sprong is an RFA next year and could raise his value significantly if he can just go out and snipe for the next month. I don't expect he'll be working on his defense.

Agreed. Sprong will score goals for Seattle and anyone suprised or bummed about that should notice that our mindset isnt about just scoring a streaky goal in a 7-5 losing game. Whether Johansson is better for us, will remain to be seen. But Sprong wasnt someone we were going to count for when we play Canes or Panthers in round1.

To go way back, I think this applies for Vrana too, in some extent. He has been given the leash to 'Jakub do Jakub' in Detroit and nobody should be suprised to see him rip up the goal totals. He always had the offensive tools. I still think Mantha is a lot better fit for us and for what we are trying to do, even if Vrana goes to tear a 50 goal season with Detroit missing the playoffs by 20 points.

To go back for the trade value, worth a 1st in between? Id say yeah, why not. Right now I dont see any of the guys selected around the pick we gave away to help us more than Mantha over Vrana.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Johansson wasn’t traded for to be the savior. He was meant for depth in a playoff run. That’s it. we’ll all be happy to have him as injuries happen.

Healthy Playoff roster (with Snively back):

OV-Kuzy-Wilson
Mantha-Backstrom-Oshie
Snively-Eller-Sheary
Larsson-Dowd-Hathaway
Johansson-CMM-Leason
AJF-Protas

And if for some reason hags makes it back you put him on 4th line and move Larsson to third line and snively to reserve.

That is strong depth when you need it deep into the playoffs. you want a veteran Lineup come playoff time. Worry about next year in the offseason.

Jun 15, 2007
Johansson wasn’t traded for to be the savior. He was meant for depth in a playoff run. That’s it. we’ll all be happy to have him as injuries happen.

Healthy Playoff roster (with Snively back):

OV-Kuzy-Wilson
Mantha-Backstrom-Oshie
Snively-Eller-Sheary
Larsson-Dowd-Hathaway
Johansson-CMM-Leason
AJF-Protas

And if for some reason hags makes it back you put him on 4th line and move Larsson to third line and snively to reserve.

That is strong depth when you need it deep into the playoffs. you want a veteran Lineup come playoff time. Worry about next year in the offseason.
They immediately put him on the top line. That suggests they see him as more than an extra depth player.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
They immediately put him on the top line. That suggests they see him as more than an extra depth player.
They put him there because he was familiar with Kuzy and OVI and they would like to create more balance across top 9. They then moved him to third line. I SUSPECT that as lineup gets healthy he could be a scratch in favor of Larsson (depending on how he fits in), Snively and CMM. Maybe he plays before AJF.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
MoJo has had some man strength in all three playoff games. He will be hard to take out. Don’t think Snively will take his spot now unless MoJo starts sucking which i don’t see happening. Clutch goal today but he has been very physical and responsible. exactly what Lavi was looking for.

Jun 15, 2007
MOJO was great tonight but I think we should wait until we win a series before serving the crow, which I would be happy to eat.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Goes to show, in part, how much the right linemates can impact a players performance /the perception of there performance. Regardless, yeah, he's looked good with his current usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad