Confirmed with Link: Mojo 2.0 | Marcus Johansson (50% retained) to WSH for Daniel Sprong, 2022 4th round pick, 2023 6th round pick

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Sprong was a healthy scratch whenever we had a full lineup. He only got into games when other middle 6 wings were hurt. Mojo may not have the shot that Sprong has, but Mojo has been a regular contributor on decent teams and plays a more rounded game.

It is a damn shame that Lavi could not get the 200 foot game he wanted out of Sprong, but he wasn't the only good coach that tried and gave up.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Way to be predictable. GMBM is only interested in trades for former Caps, former Pens, or players who are on Detroit for whatever reason.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
Sprong was a healthy scratch whenever we had a full lineup. He only got into games when other middle 6 wings were hurt. Mojo may not have the shot that Sprong has, but Mojo has been a regular contributor on decent teams and plays a more rounded game.

It is a damn shame that Lavi could not get the 200 foot game he wanted out of Sprong, but he wasn't the only good coach that tried and gave up.
I actually hate this argument about 200 foot game, when our top scorers on the team have no idea about it. They only think game one way, which is btw what offensive minded players do. I'm okay with giving up Sprong, because he was not going to succeed here, but Lavi should re-think his deployment.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Good move. Sprong sucked at everything except for his wrist shot. We needed a guy who could stabilize the 3rd line by playing a good 200 ft game and that’s what Mojo brings.
Only way Sprong should have been moved is part of a package to get Vrana back.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I was a big supporter of Johansson while he was with the Capitals, but MoJo is older now and suffered a litany of injuries since leaving DC. He's not the same 45-60 point player we had in Washington. He's still an okay transition/zone entry player, and that is something the Caps could use help with, but Sprong was also useful in that regard. This is the management/coaching staff going more towards a "safe" route and adding another bottom six veteran to play over players with more upside, and playing "safe" hockey isn't going to work when this team is outgunned in the playoffs. This hockey team isn't going to be able to grind out a series win against Carolina or Florida.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't know, I think the move is fine if it's combined with a more impactful move to bolster the top of the lineup. There's no opportunity cost in this move since I don't think Sprong is a coveted asset around the league and the 4th and 6th round picks are whatever. They can make another move if they want to.

I like Sprong but he does have clear defensive deficiencies that don't gel with what they are trying to do in the bottom 6 and he's not really going to be a top 6 option either. I'm not thrilled about it, but it's fine.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Did anyone watch Sprong last night on the top 6 with Mantha and Backstrom. Is was embrassing out there. Couldnt stay on his feet and made a bunch of bone headed plays out of posistion.
Atleast Mojo and pinch hit at Center, Knows the PP, can PK. And will prolly be a regular player for the rest of the season. I like this trade more then some of the other rumors posters have been pushing for.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's really about a.) versatility and b.) the numbers. There's not a great deal of available versatility on the cheap. Of course, ideally there's more to come and you'd have to think they're trying. As a headliner this is very underwhelming but you'd have to think there's more.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I like the idea of having Mojo as insurance for Eller as well. If Eller goes down, you move Dowd up to the 3rd line and use Mojo as #4C

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I actually hate this argument about 200 foot game, when our top scorers on the team have no idea about it. They only think game one way, which is btw what offensive minded players do. I'm okay with giving up Sprong, because he was not going to succeed here, but Lavi should re-think his deployment.

If you would have preferred the phrase "playing in Lavi's system" then the same argument is well made - numerous other coaches gave up on Sprong despite his offensive finishing skill. Its literally his only skill. All the Caps other "top scorers" bring multiple skills and all fit into Lavi's system well enough. Sprong was given up and left on the bench by Lavi so he wasn't going to help us... not forgetting we dragged him out of the minors from Anaheim.

Lavi should not rethink hsi system to fit Sprong in, its up to Sprong to fit into his bosses system, and he's failed to do that at all three pro teams he's played for.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
I like the idea of having Mojo as insurance for Eller as well. If Eller goes down, you move Dowd up to the 3rd line and use Mojo as #4C
This is actually the best explanation I have seen on here for this trade....it makes sense in that light but seriously were there no other players to add besides MOjO? I still want to stab myself in the eyes though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad