OT: MLB 2022 Discussion

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Bolts/Isles game tonight reminded me to stop by here to thank all you Met fans for letting me participate in this discussion. I'll definitely be back in April and hopefully during the offseason as I hope to see some big moves.

Meanwhile, lets please hope the Phillies don't win the WS, even if it means the Astros winning instead (FTR I don't hate the Astros like most).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
freaking Schwarber carried them in september and wheeler came back healthy from his injury

harper is a man's man and rose to the occasion. underrated move was getting marsh. he is a GREAT CF
Harper's home run was one of those great sports moments where a star rises to the occasion in the biggest moment, like Franz Klammer's olympic downhill run, Reggie in the WS, Bossy's 50 in 50, etc..

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Harper's home run was one of those great sports moments where a star rises to the occasion in the biggest moment, like Franz Klammer's olympic downhill run, Reggie in the WS, Bossy's 50 in 50, etc

Harper's home run was one of those great sports moments where a star rises to the occasion in the biggest moment, like Franz Klammer's olympic downhill run, Reggie in the WS, Bossy's 50 in 50, etc..
Gibson vs Eckersley and for the old timers, Willis vs Lakers game 7 (2 days before Orr's goal which sent him flying into the air but that was only game 4....still an iconic sports moment for me!)

Reactions: doublechili

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

This is some of the dumbest shit ever. The bat is illegal, but not for Pujols because reasons.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Season has concluded, thank God we don't have to suffer through a Phillies WS win to top off our September collapse. As we head into the offseason, here are some thoughts:

1. Who do we attempt to resign of Jake, Diaz, Nimmo and Bassitt? Jake and Edwin are my biggest priority right now.
2. For catcher and 3B, I'm fine with Nido and Escobar at that position for now. I say that to say let Alvarez and Baty develop at their own pace.
3. In terms of making a huge splash acquisition this winter, I'd pass on Judge. However, I would be willing to go after Ohtani. He has one season before free agency, and the Angels won't be able to pay him. Plus Eppler signed him in Anaheim. So nice having the MLB's richest owner who's also willing to spend, so things like this are possible.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Season has concluded, thank God we don't have to suffer through a Phillies WS win to top off our September collapse. As we head into the offseason, here are some thoughts:

1. Who do we attempt to resign of Jake, Diaz, Nimmo and Bassitt? Jake and Edwin are my biggest priority right now.
2. For catcher and 3B, I'm fine with Nido and Escobar at that position for now. I say that to say let Alvarez and Baty develop at their own pace.
3. In terms of making a huge splash acquisition this winter, I'd pass on Judge. However, I would be willing to go after Ohtani. He has one season before free agency, and the Angels won't be able to pay him. Plus Eppler signed him in Anaheim. So nice having the MLB's richest owner who's also willing to spend, so things like this are possible.
I'd love to see Nimmo back. He stayed relatively healthy for the 1st time and showed his value

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
As a fan who has chanted "in 94 they bought the Cup" at the Rangers and who hated the Yankees for spending money on every big time free agent in the 2000's, I don't really know how I feel about Cohen's spending spree.

On one hand this is retribution for those years wallowing away with the penny pinching Wilpons, but this is a little far...

On paper though, it's World Series or bust. Even though it will still be extremely difficult to win the NL East.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
As a fan who has chanted "in 94 they bought the Cup" at the Rangers and who hated the Yankees for spending money on every big time free agent in the 2000's, I don't really know how I feel about Cohen's spending spree.

On one hand this is retribution for those years wallowing away with the penny pinching Wilpons, but this is a little far...

On paper though, it's World Series or bust. Even though it will still be extremely difficult to win the NL East.

Selig, Manfred and the rest of the MLB owners conspired to keep the Wilpons in power for years. Because they were part of the old boy's network and a weak NY NL team helped keep their costs down.

You reap what you sow. I hope the Mets win and Cohen burns down their teams and makes their lives miserable.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
W1siZiIsIjM0NzQ1OCJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQiLCItcXVhbGl0eSA5MCAtcmVzaXplIDIwMDB4MTQ0MFx1MDAzZSJdXQ.jpg

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
This is (one of the reasons) why I don’t really get baseball. Some teams can just throw all the money at players, feels like there’s no sense of accomplishment in that.

And that’s coming from someone who was a huge Yankees fan as a kid, but eventually grew out of the sport. Even in 2009, we just won because we bought all the top free agents that year.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
This is (one of the reasons) why I don’t really get baseball. Some teams can just throw all the money at players, feels like there’s no sense of accomplishment in that.

And that’s coming from someone who was a huge Yankees fan as a kid, but eventually grew out of the sport. Even in 2009, we just won because we bought all the top free agents that year.
Baseball sucks because half of the billionaire owners cry poverty and don’t spend money on a consistently appreciating asset.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Baseball sucks because half of the billionaire owners cry poverty and don’t spend money on a consistently appreciating asset.

Absolutely right. I just read that since 1991, the Pirates have spent a TOTAL of $306 million on free agents. For all of the talk about Cohen's spending, they should also be questioning dirtbag owners who just stuff their bank account year after year and use the team as their personal piggy bank.

The Pirates owner, Bob Nutting, is probably the worst. Beautiful ballpark and he is essentially pocketing all of the reveue sharing money, TV and radio contracts, etc. and just running the team on a shoestring budget funded by tickets and concessions.

That is ridiculous and tantamount to stealing, with teams getting well north of $100 million just from most of the standard revenue sharing from MLB.

This is one of many articles on the topic: The Pirates are making much, much more money than they're spending - Marc Normandin is creating baseball coverage, featuring leftism

Simply disgraceful.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Absolutely right. I just read that since 1991, the Pirates have spent a TOTAL of $306 million on free agents. For all of the talk about Cohen's spending, they should also be questioning dirtbag owners who just stuff their bank account year after year and use the team as their personal piggy bank.

The Pirates owner, Bob Nutting, is probably the worst. Beautiful ballpark and he is essentially pocketing all of the reveue sharing money, TV and radio contracts, etc. and just running the team on a shoestring budget funded by tickets and concessions.

That is ridiculous and tantamount to stealing, with teams getting well north of $100 million just from most of the standard revenue sharing from MLB.

This is one of many articles on the topic: The Pirates are making much, much more money than they're spending - Marc Normandin is creating baseball coverage, featuring leftism

Simply disgraceful.
Mets fans have now seen both sides of this coin too. No major sports team should have owners like Wilpon/Nutting/Angelos etc.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Problem is that it's a losing game for every team except the top 5-6. If the owners that don't spend just threw a bunch of money around tomorrow, the Mets would just spend that much more. There's no real incentive to spend if you can't outspend.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Problem is that it's a losing game for every team except the top 5-6. If the owners that don't spend just threw a bunch of money around tomorrow, the Mets would just spend that much more. There's no real incentive to spend if you can't outspend.
It’s not about outspending it’s about fielding a competitive team. The Rays consistently do it with a shit revenue stream and poor attendance. Not to mention what the Yankees and Dodgers have (not) accomplished in the past decade while consistently spending the most.

Reactions: danteipp

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
It’s not about outspending it’s about fielding a competitive team. The Rays consistently do it with a shit revenue stream and poor attendance. Not to mention what the Yankees and Dodgers have (not) accomplished in the past decade while consistently spending the most.
Well, some teams are better run than others. I mean, that's consistent across all sports, no matter the spending structures in place.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA

Along these lines, with Cohen spending money now, I hope our approach is more like the Dodgers than Yankees. By that I mean still investing in your farm system and not merely being dependent on spending your way out of trouble. And for those who say the Dodgers have only won a single WS, my Dodger fan friend claims, as many other fans of there's, that it's because Roberts has kept his job way too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad