OT: MLB 2022 Discussion

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Verlander looking fit
Max looking crazy
Pete as doofy as ever

Pitchers and catchers baby!

deGrom side tightness......ya don't say?

That may end up being the worst contract ever signed...ignore the fact alone that division is tough anyway and Texas for the forseeable future is gonna have to somehow 6 or 7 seed their way to a WS title but if he only makes 20 or so starts a year that contract is a disaster, even if he pitches all 5 seasons.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Verlander looking fit
Max looking crazy
Pete as doofy as ever

Pitchers and catchers baby!

deGrom side tightness......ya don't say?

Any truth to the rumor that deGrom's side-splitting laughter, after signing that contract, is the root cause of the injury? He is going to bury that franchise, much like A-Rod did years ago. Maybe even worse, because at least A-Rod played and could stay on the field.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Tim McCarver 81 RIP

always chuckle at the story Bob Gibson told....McCarver comes out to the mound to tell Gibson something one time and when Gibson turns around and sees him standing there he says " get the hell away from me, the only thing you know about pitching is that YOU CAN'T HIT IT"

never met him but he was supposedly a prince who always picked up the tab when people went out after games

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Someone explain how the Mets aren't the villains of the league.

Because MLB, specifically Selig and Manfred, kept the Wilpons in place, even propping them up with loans and allowing them to take on insurmountable debt, when they should have lost the team years ago. Just because they were all buddies.

MLB forced Frank McCourt to sell the Dodgers and the Wilpons were far worse. Using the Mets to fund SNY, Citifield and their other interests, instead of re-investing the money into the team.

Meanwhile Jeff "Fredo" Wilpon was investing in ponzi schemes, hiring criminals at every level, from the clubhouse guys to the thief equipment manager to coaches and staff, and Jeffy boy even harassed an unwed mother that worked in PR for the Mets. The Wilpons, but especially lil' Jeff, were outright scum and should have been removed years ago. Jeff seems like Dan Snyder with even less charm. I wasn't sure that was even possible.

Better yet, the Wilpons should have never had the money to even get into baseball, because Doubleday was the money guy and they road his coattails while banking money and assuming more power.

At this point I hope Cohen goes scorched earth. Like Arnold in Commando, just mowing down the rest of the league. And if Cohen makes a clown like Manfred and the other dirt bag owners unhappy, all the better. They tortured Mets fans for years. Plus Phillies and Braves fans should be miserable.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Any truth to the rumor that deGrom's side-splitting laughter, after signing that contract, is the root cause of the injury? He is going to bury that franchise, much like A-Rod did years ago. Maybe even worse, because at least A-Rod played and could stay on the field.
A-Rod hit 156 home runs those 3 years. He couldn't pitch for them.

Seriously though, it is a thing that De Grom's injuries really picked up as his velocity *increased*. I'm really glad that they made the decision to let him walk.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
A-Rod hit 156 home runs those 3 years. He couldn't pitch for them.

Seriously though, it is a thing that De Grom's injuries really picked up as his velocity *increased*. I'm really glad that they made the decision to let him walk.
I heard an interview with Ron Darling a couple of years ago and he stated the fact that DeGrom was too bull headed to back off throwing so hard so often. He also very pointedly alluded to the thought that DeGrom doesn't know the difference between being hurt and being injured

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I heard an interview with Ron Darling a couple of years ago and he stated the fact that DeGrom was too bull headed to back off throwing so hard so often. He also very pointedly alluded to the thought that DeGrom doesn't know the difference between being hurt and being injured

I have heard the same things and that seemed to be an underlying theme for deGrom, Syndergaard and Harvey. The inability to apply common sense, make adjustments and refine their pitching acumen has led to various injuries.

They all seem unable or unwilling to listen to what their bodies are telling them. And their bodies are telling them that they were all aging and shouldn't just throw like they did at say 18-22 years of age but learn to pitch.

I am sure deGrom will continue to try and compete, at least the first couple years of that contract, but as soon as the "criticism" rolls in, you know he is going to get surly and I have my doubts that relationship is going to end well.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I have heard the same things and that seemed to be an underlying theme for deGrom, Syndergaard and Harvey. The inability to apply common sense, make adjustments and refine their pitching acumen has led to various injuries.

They all seem unable or unwilling to listen to what their bodies are telling them. And their bodies are telling them that they were all aging and shouldn't just throw like they did at say 18-22 years of age but learn to pitch.

I am sure deGrom will continue to try and compete, at least the first couple years of that contract, but as soon as the "criticism" rolls in, you know he is going to get surly and I have my doubts that relationship is going to end well.
Agreed. In that interview, Darling also said DeGrom was not a hall of fame candidate and was critical that guys like him can't last more than 6 innings

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
No doubt. But, the Mets payroll is double or more than 2/3 of the league, and $100 million more than all but 3 teams. There's something wrong with that too.
The Yankees and Dodgers have been proportionally doing that to the rest of the league for years. The Dodgers payroll in 2015 was 58% above the tax threshold; same as the Mets this season. The only difference is when the Mets do it they’re ruining baseball.

The “small market” Padres somehow found enough money to run up the 3rd largest payroll this season. Meanwhile multiple MLB teams are running payrolls lower than the NHL salary floor in a league that makes over double the revenue of the NHL. The A’s went into this off season with a pre-arbitration payroll of $0. Cheap billionaires seem like way more of an issue to me.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Yankees and Dodgers have been proportionally doing that to the rest of the league for years. The Dodgers payroll in 2015 was 58% above the tax threshold; same as the Mets this season. The only difference is when the Mets do it they’re ruining baseball.

The “small market” Padres somehow found enough money to run up the 3rd largest payroll this season. Meanwhile multiple MLB teams are running payrolls lower than the NHL salary floor in a league that makes over double the revenue of the NHL. The A’s went into this off season with a pre-arbitration payroll of $0. Cheap billionaires seem like way more of an issue to me.

Yup, pretty much the only people outraged by teams like the Pirates and their owner (and his family) using the team as his personal piggy bank are Pirates fans.
Meanwhile the Mets finally get competent ownership in place after what, 45+ years of Charles Payson (who had no interest in baseball), M. Donald Grant, the Wilpons (without Doubleday's wallet behind them), etc. and they are ruining baseball.

MLB, especially Selig, Manfred and other d-bag owners like Jerry Reinsdorf (a freaking IRS tax attorney), put Mets fans through essentially 40+ years of crap, outside of a handful of years, showing even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Get the F' out of here with that BS that the Mets are ruining baseball. The Cohen Revenge Tour is here and I hope it is glorious.

Reactions: Lame Lambert

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Opposing teams fans during 30+ years of inept Mets ownership and failure - LOLMets and your team sucks!

Now the Mets finally have quality ownership in place and are willing to do whatever is necessary to win -
You guys are ruining baseball!

reservoir-dogs-steve-buscemi.gif

Reactions: Kane One

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille