OT: MLB 2022 Discussion

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Giving up SEVEN hr in a series of this magnitude is a freaking disgrace

Giving up 7 home runs and scoring a total of 7 runs. What a disaster. How do you have 11 hits and score 3 runs. This team has no depth in the lineup. Also Lindor is the most overrated player in the league, hes not a 300+ million dollar player.

Im not a doomer, they desperately need Marte back. A lack of moves at the TDL is biting them in the ass.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Giving up 7 home runs and scoring a total of 7 runs. What a disaster. How do you have 11 hits and score 3 runs. This team has no depth in the lineup. Also Lindor is the most overrated player in the league, hes not a 300+ million dollar player.

Im not a doomer, they desperately need Marte back. A lack of moves at the TDL is biting them in the ass.
Definitely with you on Marte. He's a great catalyst

Reactions: WangMustGo

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Giving up SEVEN hr in a series of this magnitude is a freaking disgrace
Somehow, it feels like a different Braves team than they've historically been labeled as. That Dodgers series a couple years ago seems to have hardened them for big games.

And yes, Swanson has been good. I don't know how he hits for power considering he weighs like 180 lbs.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Somehow, it feels like a different Braves team than they've historically been labeled as. That Dodgers series a couple years ago seems to have hardened them for big games.

And yes, Swanson has been good. I don't know how he hits for power considering he weighs like 180 lbs.
Quiet leader Dansby. Very underrated. Always rises to the big moments.

Great pitching and masterful use of the bullpen.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Haha. No excuses here. I am 1st generation fan. All misery chosen willingly.

My son however will echo your sentiments one day. Isles, Mets and St.John's men's hoops. Poor kid!
The Jets are missing from that list so perhaps he'll be a Panthers fan. Unfortunately, that is yet another dogshit franchise...

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If the Mets can somehow draw Philly and get San Diego to face the Braves in the LDS that would be pretty ironic. I’d give San Diego a very good shot there in a 5 game series but they’d have to first beat the Cards

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Stanton is another cheater. Last night he hit a 450+' home run.

I've been explaining to my son how weight transfer works and how critical it is for power and force.

Stanton has a 4' wide stance at the plate. His bat rests on his shoulders. Watch his HR from last night.

Look at the space between feet awaiting pitch and just after point of impact. Hardly a difference. Explain to me how a non-steroid freak, is going to do this with nearly all of his strength from his upper body?

stanton1.JPG
stanton2.JPG

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The Jets are missing from that list so perhaps he'll be a Panthers fan. Unfortunately, that is yet another dogshit franchise...
even worse, he fancies himself a redskins, or whatever the hell they call themselves these days, fan. he likes the warriors in the nba. i became mercenary in football and pro basketball based on who was on my fantasy teams so my allegiance to a team faded. i always rooted for the Nets but when they fired Atkinson and broke up the team he built to go with the clowns they have now, i lost interest

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
If the Mets can somehow draw Philly and get San Diego to face the Braves in the LDS that would be pretty ironic. I’d give San Diego a very good shot there in a 5 game series but they’d have to first beat the Cards
padres bullpen is abysmal. they don't let their starters go deep and that may well bite them in the ass against good playoff teams

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Wheeler shutting the Mets down in a playoff series would break me.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I've been explaining to my son how weight transfer works and how critical it is for power and force.
Stanton hit 39 home runs as a 18 year old in A ball. If he's been cheating, he's been cheating since he was a teenager.

I just don't think it looks the same, or that it makes sense to compare how Mookie Betts (whose swing looks like it requires incredible athleticism + coordination) generates power, and how an absolutely massive dude generates power.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Stanton hit 39 home runs as a 18 year old in A ball. If he's been cheating, he's been cheating since he was a teenager.

I just don't think it looks the same, or that it makes sense to compare how Mookie Betts (whose swing looks like it requires incredible athleticism + coordination) generates power, and how an absolutely massive dude generates power.

I'm far from a baseball expert, i just cant see how someone who is only his top half can hit the ball 15 miles without the help of some.. ehhh hmmmm . enhancements.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
It does seem unique that he doesn't transfer power from the back foot to the front. You'd have to track his power and stance over time and see if there's a difference. I think I was watching Baseball Bits on youtube a while back and he said that the testing policy has been slack lately. I'm not saying that he's juicing, I'm just saying that MLB has a long history of putting their thumb on the scales of outcomes and it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm far from a baseball expert, i just cant see how someone who is only his top half can hit the ball 15 miles without the help of some.. ehhh hmmmm . enhancements.
And, yet, Mike Piazza is in the hall of fame. I'm not saying he cheated, but he could be all arms, and he did'nt have the arms Stanton has. Also, I'm a little confused by the notion of weight transfer requiring big movements, but - hey - that's just my experience of getting rag-dolled by aikido masters when I really had no idea what they did. (I claim neither mastery nor competency myself.)

Again, I'm a Mets fan, but I think these accusations are pointless. One thing that the stuff about performance enhancers has taught me is that you need more evidence than simple body type, etc., to figure something out stuff *in the absence of tests*. If players are taking steroids, there's probably a whole lot of them, taken with a lot of subtlety. Nobody's going from normal bodies to tanks like Dykstra or Daulton anymore.

It is a shame - especially for Judge - that testing was paused for 6ish weeks this winter.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
And, yet, Mike Piazza is in the hall of fame. I'm not saying he cheated, but he could be all arms, and he did'nt have the arms Stanton has. Also, I'm a little confused by the notion of weight transfer requiring big movements, but - hey - that's just my experience of getting rag-dolled by aikido masters when I really had no idea what they did. (I claim neither mastery nor competency myself.)

Again, I'm a Mets fan, but I think these accusations are pointless. One thing that the stuff about performance enhancers has taught me is that you need more evidence than simple body type, etc., to figure something out stuff *in the absence of tests*. If players are taking steroids, there's probably a whole lot of them, taken with a lot of subtlety. Nobody's going from normal bodies to tanks like Dykstra or Daulton anymore.

It is a shame - especially for Judge - that testing was paused for 6ish weeks this winter.

Wouldn't be the first time someone responded with my thoughts being pointless. :)

Really -- I'm just looking from a logic POV -- playing baseball, football, stickball, and hockey my whole life,. We all learn at a very young age how power is generated, its not from keeping yourself balanced 50/50 over your legs.

Those pics of Stanton's swing, I just find interesting. and I give the "side eye"

Reactions: danteipp

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm a little confused by the notion of weight transfer requiring big movements,
That's kind of where I am on this. And martial arts is a great example since I think that economy/efficiency of movement is important in that. I never did martial arts but did hit the heavy bag a lot for exercise and found that when I was really in shape and my technique was good I was moving much less than I did when I first started.

Ultimately I think the distance a ball travels is based on bat speed. Bat speed would seem to come from the arm swing and (maybe more importantly) from the wrists turning (Piazza might've had Popeye wrists/forearms :)). The weight transfer factors in too, but I think it can be economical rather than pronounced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad