Mitch Marner Discussion - 2016/17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
That was awesome going back and reading the draft thread.

David Desharnais 2.0 !!!!

I wanted him so bad, I didn't care. That was the first time they actually picked my guy and I left after that, didn't pay attention to any of the hanifin talk.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think it's becoming apparent that it will be between Matthews and Werenski.

yup. it's probably going to end up being
Matthews
Werenski
and Laine

(Murarry as the Dark Horse third player).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Apparent to who? You?

Patrik Laine still has a great chance at the Calder.

Oh man imagine the troll infestation we will see if laine wins. Finns all over the place and maybe even other team fans too!. I stay well away from NHL talk thread because last time I opened it there were 4 laine threads one was "laine better than ovechkin" and I was that grandpa Simpson gif in real life

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Apparent to who? You?

Patrik Laine still has a great chance at the Calder.

Matthews is quickly showing he's already an elite all-round player. Players are already mentioning how he has no flaws.

Werenski is leading the d-corps of the best team in the league.

Laine has scored some goals, but Matthews and Werenski have moved into a tier above

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
From that draft thread:

2nd worst case scenario short of going off the board. We'll see if I'm right, but I think he'll be the worst out of the top 5 by sizable margin

:laugh: Not even close.

I'm actually surprised by the number of posters that we're angry. Kinda funny seeing some of them still trying to cling to that belief.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Matthews is quickly showing he's already an elite all-round player. Players are already mentioning how he has no flaws.

Werenski is leading the d-corps of the best team in the league.

Laine has scored some goals, but Matthews and Werenski have moved into a tier above
Both Matthews and Werenski are excelling at the 2 hardest positions too.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
From that draft thread:

:laugh: Not even close.

I'm actually surprised by the number of posters that we're angry. Kinda funny seeing some of them still trying to cling to that belief.

Sad some fans would rather be right, over having a good team. I don't see the logic.

On the Laine front, I think 100% he is in contention for ROY if he continues his pace.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Both Matthews and Werenski are excelling at the 2 hardest positions too.

I really don't think they take position into account or even 2way play for that matter at least for forwards. It's either a dman who does it all scores and defends well or the forward with the most points

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I really don't think they take position into account or even 2way play for that matter at least for forwards. It's either a dman who does it all scores and defends well or the forward with the most points

Ya sadly I think you're right like the Norris is now for the highest scoring defensman.
I hope this changes. I know there have been many people calling for 100% transparency in these types of votes to eliminate bias.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ya sadly I think you're right like the Norris is now for the highest scoring defensman.
I hope this changes. I know there have been many people calling for 100% transparency in these types of votes to eliminate bias.

Who voted on it? Media?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Calder seems very narrative-driven. I'd say he's likely still the frontrunner.

You can't drive a narrative if it doesn't make sense though. I fully expect Laine's numbers to crash unless he significantly improves his game in 2017, especially at ES. He will still rack up PP points like crazy because it takes goalies a while to figure out shooting tendencies. Once they key on his one timer like they did with guys like Ovechkin, Weber, Subban, Stamkos etc you have to reinvent yourself a little.

Ovechkin for example doesn't score as many goals from his one timer on the PP, it's almost a decoy now for someone else to shoot it.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Then there is 0 chance a leaf wins it, other markets hate the press the leafs get and our own media members are mostly trolls

I don't know. I think Lou might be sending subtle reminders to certain media members as we speak. Hahaha

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't know. I think Lou might be sending subtle reminders to certain media members as we speak. Hahaha

Lou haha yeah "don't vote for my players the crest is the star of my team"

That's a top bonus and we know Lou hates bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA