Mitch Marner Discussion - 2016/17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So Marner gets a 3rd assist...and already has 3 3-point games this season. Wow.

Marner is quietly leading this team in points. like everyone keeps bouncing back between JVR/Matthews for the goals (because Matthews is on pace to break Wendel's rookie record, and JVR because he's trade bait).

and Marner's like. ho hum, 3 point game, ho hum, team point lead :laugh:

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Marner is quietly leading this team in points. like everyone keeps bouncing back between JVR/Matthews for the goals (because Matthews is on pace to break Wendel's rookie record, and JVR because he's trade bait).

and Marner's like. ho hum, 3 point game, ho hum, team point lead :laugh:

Marner is on pace to break the Leafs assist record from 43/44, 70+ year record.

Record is 40. He is at 17/18 (Depending on that 3rd point) in 32 games. If he has 18 assists, on pace for 46 for the year.

Would love to see them both smash those records, although Clark was my favorite player growing up.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Marner is on pace to break the Leafs assist record from 43/44, 70+ year record.

Record is 40. He is at 17/18 (Depending on that 3rd point) in 32 games. If he has 18 assists, on pace for 46 for the year.

Would love to see them both smash those records, although Clark was my favorite player growing up.

I'm assuming you're talking about rookie assist record...

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
3 point night ... I think they made a scoring change on the 3rd goal.
So our skinny little rookie leads the team in scoring ... and its Christmas.

I wonder where all those Marner critics have gone?
Too small! To skinny! That junior game won't translate!

It's real quiet in here.

Boom! Hopefully he can pan out and continue his point totals. Kid has slick hands!

D3ADLY

Jan 8, 2009
Twitter @AgentDeadly
I have this feeling Marner is going to win ROY he really surprised me with his play so far. I was expecting 35-40 points rookie season for him. Either way i just hope a Leaf player wins it.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I love how Marner keeps proving me right. I know I always get slack for it, and terming anything generational just as a "characteristic" is wrong, but I genuinely believe that his hockey sense (IQ, Vision, awareness etc) is generational. He just blows my mind game in and game out with some of the passes he completes. He will score 100 points in a season one day. He's nearly PPG while having to carry two vets. Insanity.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
A lot of yikes on page 2 of this thread:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1917341&page=2

I realize there are a lot of trolls that post here but good to see the people with faith in Leafs management continuing to end up on the right side of threads like these.

Can't wait to watch Marner tear up the league for years to come!

Also in case anyone was wondering what became of poster "Hanifin" seems he gave up on Noah pretty early into season 1 and now goes by the name Kyle92

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

I realize there are a lot of trolls that post here but good to see the people with faith in Leafs management continuing to end up on the right side of threads like these.

Also in case anyone was wondering what became of poster "Hanifin" seems he gave up on Noah pretty early into season 1 and now goes by the name Kyle92

Lol didn't know so many posters were mad about getting marner. Yuck to seeing mentalist/winter soldier posting in the thread. Can see why certain posters are still hard on marner whenever he makes a mistake as they didn't like him than. Props to the people who didn't bash the pick and trusted hunter and all judgement. Not going to deny that I wanted Hanafin over marner at 4 (wanted both over strome). But I wasn't bashing the pick or anything. Still I'm happy that marner has been amazing and it looks like I will be wrong about wanting Hanafin over marner. Can't wait to see Marner develope.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Lol didn't know so many posters were mad about getting marner. Yuck to seeing mentalist/winter soldier posting in the thread. Can see why certain posters are still hard on marner whenever he makes a mistake as they didn't like him than. Props to the people who didn't bash the pick and trusted hunter and all judgement. Not going to deny that I wanted Hanafin over marner at 4 (wanted both over strome). But I wasn't bashing the pick or anything. Still I'm happy that marner has been amazing and it looks like I will be wrong about wanting Hanafin over marner. Can't wait to see Marner develope.

I wanted Marner more than anyone. I was afraid Arizona might take him.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=104263705&postcount=58

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Hanifin is doing fairly well this year has he not? Probably turn out to be a pretty good dman. There was a lot of talent in that draft. I am pretty sure Strome will turn out fairly well also. Strange that he isn't playing this year. I mean hey, they are playing Holland on the PP.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Hanifin is doing fairly well this year has he not? Probably turn out to be a pretty good dman. There was a lot of talent in that draft. I am pretty sure Strome will turn out fairly well also. Strange that he isn't playing this year. I mean hey, they are playing Holland on the PP.

Not really. Playing 3rd pairing minutes thus far. Haven't watched a ton of him but Carolina fans seem to indicating guys have a bit of a sophomore slump. Happens though, I think he will still become a top pairing D man.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Good times. :laugh:

It's so awesome seeing a talented die hard Leaf fan get drafted by his favorite team and show his stuff. Hope he stays with the Leafs his entire career.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If I remember correctly I was pretty ambivalent. Think Daisy and I were kidding around about being on our peaceful island of tranquility or something like that while everyone else lived and died on getting their guy picked.

Like we are every Draft, Nith. :laugh:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

The issue was - a lot of people wanted Hanifin at the time, but Button placed him at Jay Bouwmeester level (which - nothing is wrong with Jay Bouwmeester - it's just that's not the type of guy you pick at #4. Which is why a lot of people wanted to go with Provorov or Werenski for defensemen. and you wonder if the Columbus trade goes down with the Leafs if we're drafting Rantanen, or one of those two along with extra picks).

a lot of the comments are very very.... well, Leafy.
(also i love reading things knowing the future. all the "omggg we don't have a #1 centre" rants. teeheee).

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
The issue was - a lot of people wanted Hanifin at the time, but Button placed him at Jay Bouwmeester level (which - nothing is wrong with Jay Bouwmeester - it's just that's not the type of guy you pick at #4. Which is why a lot of people wanted to go with Provorov or Werenski for defensemen. and you wonder if the Columbus trade goes down with the Leafs if we're drafting Rantanen, or one of those two along with extra picks).

Lol nobody listens to button. The guys outlandish a lot of the time and I have doubts people didn't want Hanifin because of who button compared him to. Ntm a guy with Hanifins IQ & skating easily has higher potential than bouwmeester

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
At the very least on that page, I'm glad at my general rationality :). I just wanted one of the top guys available at that spot. Since we were pretty guaranteed to take one of Marner, Strome, Hanifin it seemed fairly win/win/win. Though can remember going into it I bounced back and forth, sometimes more for Strome sometimes Marner.

In the end it seemed like we had great options. And Arizona picking right before us was certain to slim down the options to only 2 players.

Glad things have gone well with Marner :).

Rewatching that Arizona pick just wow on the commentary. Leafs miss out on Strome, "really disappointed" "but still some pretty good hockey players left." Pretty good eh?

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Lol nobody listens to button. The guys outlandish a lot of the time and I have doubts people didn't want Hanifin because of who button compared him to. Ntm a guy with Hanifins IQ & skating easily has higher potential than bouwmeester

the Bouwmeester comparisons were around for a lot of people, not just Button. It wasn't regarding his skating but more of his point output.

He also unlike most people who were saying Mitch's struggle that he would be ready to go for camp/the season this year and Button was right on that regard. Millage varies and all of that.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
calder will be interesting just hoping votes dont get split between marner and matthews and laine ends up winning.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I was with you guys. I even have proof ;) :

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=101649535&postcount=317

It was obvious to everyone not blinded by size that Marner's ceiling was the highest of the 3.

I wanted Marner even more than you guys put together ;). On here and the prospect board I was extremely vocal on my want for Marner. In the OHL the guy had no glaring weaknesses. He barely had any weakness at all. I was so distraught at the thought of Arizona taking him. It made sense. He was the BPA, has some insane chemistry with Dvorak, how could they not take him? So happy when we took Marner, I couldn't stop cheering :laugh:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad