Mitch Marner Discussion - 2016/17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
at least you're big enough to own up to it. where are all the other people us Marner fans were fighting with from December to June? Where are the Strome fans at? Pretty sure more people wanted Strome than Marner

Admittedly I went through a mini Strome phase for about a week due to him being a C, then came back to team Marner. Wanted him since Dec 2014, the week of hell, when we got bent over by Buffalo and Nashville.

To be fair the leafs had no choice when it came to Strome. I think Hanafin or Werenski are the better comparisons.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The first 31 games of Mitch Marner‘s NHL career have been more than a success, based on preseason expectations. With 23 points to his name already, he’s third in rookie scoring (behind his teammate Auston Matthews), and he has unequivocally answered the question of whether or not he’s ready for the big leagues. With that said, lets take a look at his season to date, and some of the numbers that factor into Marner’s impact.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2016/12...ectiveness-in-the-toronto-maple-leafs-lineup/

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I know from previous statements, you are saying this based on "sources", but if you won't divulge then there is really no point, because it's indistinguishable from speculation.

I am not the person you responded to, but it was rather well known that Leafs were taking Marner if available. If Marner was gone and Strome was available, we either would have taken Hanifan or traded down to Columbus. McKenzie reported this a day or two after draft day.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I am not the person you responded to, but it was rather well known that Leafs were taking Marner if available. If Marner was gone and Strome was available, we either would have taken Hanifan or traded down to Columbus. McKenzie reported this a day or two after draft day.

Apparently it was between Marner/Werenski, and if thats the case, our scouts are doing their job pretty well.

Also, in 2014 it was Nylander/Larkin.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I know from previous statements, you are saying this based on "sources", but if you won't divulge then there is really no point, because it's indistinguishable from speculation.

They were talking to Columbus about trading down until Strome was taken. That was said on the draft day coverage.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Saying how I know a few things won't prove anything either.
I don't blame anyone for being sceptical, it's up to you whether you want to believe it or not.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Saying how I know a few things won't prove anything either.
I don't blame anyone for being sceptical, it's up to you whether you want to believe it or not.

Not really a big secret how you knew it either lol.
All over TV / twiiterbirds.

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
I'm all for pumping Matthews tires, but here's Mitch with 25 points. Let's not forget the kid who creates magic on a nightly basis. :)

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
looked very good with kadri, he would look amazing with matthews too, or nylander...he can play with anyone, the more talented the better

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I believe he just picked up another assist on a scoring change. Would put him alone for the team lead in points.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
2 assists tonight for the kid!

3 point night ... I think they made a scoring change on the 3rd goal.
So our skinny little rookie leads the team in scoring ... and its Christmas.

I wonder where all those Marner critics have gone?
Too small! To skinny! That junior game won't translate!

It's real quiet in here.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
3 point night ... I think they made a scoring change on the 3rd goal.
So our skinny little rookie leads the team in scoring ... and its Christmas.

I wonder where all those Marner critics have gone?
Too small! To skinny! That junior game won't translate!

It's real quiet in here.

Yea, Kadri lost his goal, went to Polak and Marner gets the 2nd assist.

3 point night and his best period (1) he didn't get a point, hit 2 posts, and had 4 really good chances.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Aside from the fact he's just downright talented, driven and shifty, Marner is benefitting from having others to share the spotlight with.

Well, all three of them are. A couple of years ago there was a lot of pressure of Nylander's shoulders to become a 1C. Now we have three legit stars who all take a share and I think it's helping Marner especially.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Yea, Kadri lost his goal, went to Polak and Marner gets the 2nd assist.

3 point night and his best period (1) he didn't get a point, hit 2 posts, and had 4 really good chances.

I think they gave back Kadri his goal, while Marner ended up with 2 assists.

Nevertheless, both Marner and Matthews are tied for the team lead in scoring :)

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I always post about how I desperately wanted us to tank for Marner since December 2014, but even I forgot something... before the season, I predicted 50-60 points for Matthews and 35-40 for Marner.

He already has 27 points in 32 games. Thank you for coming through Mitchell. I'm so glad you're not another Matt Finn or Jesse Blacker or anyone else I had high hopes for :laugh:

:laugh: same here. I predicted 40ish for Marner, and 50ish for Nylander/Matthews, they are all blowing my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad