Mitch Marner Discussion - 2016/17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yup! I can't do the emoji thing on my phone so I end up having to say I'm being sarcastic.

i just got the laptop back now my wife fell asleep so snatched it back quick smart. I usually write "smiley face with finger on its mouth" when im on my phine

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Let's say the season is over today I think an American is going to win the Calder. But that's still half a season to go and anything can happen, such as slumps, injuries, hit streaks....

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
i just got the laptop back now my wife fell asleep so snatched it back quick smart. I usually write "smiley face with finger on its mouth" when im on my phine

It's so much easier to just type the colon symbol, write sarcasm and then close with a colon.

I use HF primarily with my phone and still use plenty of emojis. Just gotta know the codes for certain emojis.

Laugh :laugh:
Sarcasm :sarcasm:
Roll Eyes :rolleyes:
Big Laugh :biglaugh:
Hand clap :handclap:
Etc.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's so much easier to just type the colon symbol, write sarcasm and then close with a colon.

I use HF primarily with my phone and still use plenty of emojis. Just gotta know the codes for certain emojis.

Laugh :laugh:
Sarcasm :sarcasm:
Roll Eyes :rolleyes:
Big Laugh :biglaugh:
Hand clap :handclap:
Etc.

Thanks for the tip!!

Cheers :cheers:

Hahahaha success!!
You have created a monster!
:cheer:

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I genuinely think Marner will finish with 70+ points. He has still managed to be near PPG despite the goal scoring slump and he's not even "hot" right now. He just generates too many high danger scoring chances. Once him and Matthews are on a line, I might have to start actually going to watch the games live.

AustonMarner*

Dec 26, 2016
Toronto
I genuinely think Marner will finish with 70+ points. He has still managed to be near PPG despite the goal scoring slump and he's not even "hot" right now. He just generates too many high danger scoring chances. Once him and Matthews are on a line, I might have to start actually going to watch the games live.

I wonder why they are not, now that Nylander is not on that line they should be playing together.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder why they are not, now that Nylander is not on that line they should be playing together.

I assume for balance purposes, but there would decent depth even with them spread out.

Matthews-Marner on one line.

Kadri-Nylander on another line

Bozak-JVR on another line

Gauthier-Komarov on another line.

It's still spread out scoring wise and Matthews-Marner could absolutely wreak havoc.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well we already have the official reason why Babcock doesn't want to go there. Both guys are elite at driving a line on their own. Honestly I see Matthews-Marner as a duo that the coach only pulls out when absolutely necessary. Kind of like how certain teams only stack one line during certain situations.

His mindset might change going forward, but that's at least his stance for now. They can both run a line and be extremely dangerous.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
cfe.gif

McKenzie just shot down comparisons of Keller to Gaudreau and said he plays like the leafs player Mitchell Marner!!!!

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Absolutely! They were talking about the dominance and creativity of Keller and saying he's like the other American Gaudreau and McKenzie said actually he reminds me of Marner!

Nice...wasn't going to be long before it happened.

There was a prospect forum thread on Marner in the summer and someone suggested that we trade him + out 2017 1st for Gaudreau, there were some fans of other teams that said we would be stupid not to. Now I'm not sure if it would be a good idea 1 for 1 and I think we'd get support on that from other fanbases

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Nice...wasn't going to be long before it happened.

There was a prospect forum thread on Marner in the summer and someone suggested that we trade him + out 2017 1st for Gaudreau, there were some fans of other teams that said we would be stupid not to. Now I'm not sure if it would be a good idea 1 for 1 and I think we'd get support on that from other fanbases

We might get the leafs hate factor telling us we are being rediculous but I would rather keep him anyways.
Being younger than gaudreau and starting in the nhl at a younger age combine to make him more promising than gaudreau imo.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
We might get the leafs hate factor telling us we are being rediculous but I would rather keep him anyways.
Being younger than gaudreau and starting in the nhl at a younger age combine to make him more promising than gaudreau imo.

Ya you would think at this point, the writing is on the wall for Marner producing in Gaudreau-like fashion in a year or two plus he's younger and on his ELC, I'd keep Marner on a 1 for 1 basis in our situation - we can afford to wait

Plus there's the allure of the unknown...how good can he get?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ya you would think at this point, the writing is on the wall for Marner producing in Gaudreau-like fashion in a year or two plus he's younger and on his ELC, I'd keep Marner on a 1 for 1 basis in our situation - we can afford to wait

Plus there's the allure of the unknown...how good can he get?

In 2 years he could be Kane level. And not Evander. I admit in the start I was humming and hawing between him and Barzal believe it or not. Never big on Strome. But I watched the video of him as a kid as the city tv athlete of the week and I've been sold on him since. Even a with that I did not think he would just flat out be so damn good right off the bat.
Add a little strength and shot a thousand pucks this summer and he will be scarey good. Down right scarey.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What did he have last night, 4 breakaways? then he gets it done in the shootout. :laugh:

i have noticed he is leaving the zone very early sometimes, now maybe this is the game plan but we used to rip on kessel for this and yes marner gets back most of the time but there have been a few times it resulted in a turnover and a odd man rush

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
In 2 years he could be Kane level. And not Evander. I admit in the start I was humming and hawing between him and Barzal believe it or not. Never big on Strome. But I watched the video of him as a kid as the city tv athlete of the week and I've been sold on him since. Even a with that I did not think he would just flat out be so damn good right off the bat.
Add a little strength and shot a thousand pucks this summer and he will be scarey good. Down right scarey.

I'm a Barzal fan too, was very surprised that he fell as far as he did and I think the WJC is making some teams (cough *Boston* cough) regret it.

Marner has separated himself though, easily goes top 4 in a redraft with Strome moving out and Werenski moving in and I don't know where each of them goes between 2 and 4

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm a Barzal fan too, was very surprised that he fell as far as he did and I think the WJC is making some teams (cough *Boston* cough) regret it.

Marner has separated himself though, easily goes top 4 in a redraft with Strome moving out and Werenski moving in and I don't know where each of them goes between 2 and 4
Someone just mentioned that in the wjc thread! Haha

Ya Werenski is an absolute stud!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad