Mitch Marner Discussion - 2016/17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
i have noticed he is leaving the zone very early sometimes, now maybe this is the game plan but we used to rip on kessel for this and yes marner gets back most of the time but there have been a few times it resulted in a turnover and a odd man rush

His teammates have noticed as well, and feed him the puck, so I'm guessing it's part of the game plan.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
His teammates have noticed as well, and feed him the puck, so I'm guessing it's part of the game plan.
Babcock knows he has a unique player that plays unlike most, if not all, others. I would assume Marner has the green light "most of the time" to use his own judgement in jumping the zone.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Someone just mentioned that in the wjc thread! Haha

Ya Werenski is an absolute stud!

I'm in a sports pool chat on whatsapp and said as soon as Boston finished those 3 picks something to the effect of "wow, those were awful"...Imagine they had taken Connor, Konecny and Barzal?

They wouldn't have to tear down to rebuild like they will soon

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm in a sports pool chat on whatsapp and said as soon as Boston finished those 3 picks something to the effect of "wow, those were awful"...Imagine they had taken Connor, Konecny and Barzal?

They wouldn't have to tear down to rebuild like they will soon

When they got those 3 picks I was pooping my pants! I was envisioning us being man handled by the bruins for another decade! Then they didn't pick barzal is the way I remember it and I was a little relieved but they had 2 picks left!!
Then they called Debrusk. Head scratcher but they still have one more pick.... Third pick also not barzal nor white nor Keller! Hahaha I started to laugh. But then paranoia crept in and I was thinking they mush have known something. They must have the crystal ball that is telling them the future. Haha thank god it was just really bad decision making.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
When they got those 3 picks I was pooping my pants! I was envisioning us being man handled by the bruins for another decade! Then they didn't pick barzal is the way I remember it and I was a little relieved but they had 2 picks left!!
Then they called Debrusk. Head scratcher but they still have one more pick.... Third pick also not barzal nor white nor Keller! Hahaha I started to laugh. But then paranoia crept in and I was thinking they mush have known something. They must have the crystal ball that is telling them the future. Haha thank god it was just really bad decision making.

I think it was just sort of a perfect storm for Barzal - like he wasn't going top 5 by draft day, so no surprises there, there were some high ceiling Dmen and Zacha in the 6-10 range and Rantanen's/Crouse's rankings were all over the place but they were definitely in play as big men in that range, then Dallas was widely rumoured to like Gurianov at 12 so someone had to be the odd man out to fall to Boston...then they skipped the guy who could have gone at #6 three times....I was very happy when that happened

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

well 1st year 5 year old players can recognize an open player up ice and pass it to him (or at least try to) doesn't mean its a game plan. But the fact Marner hasnt seen a cut in ice time it probably is a gameplan

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
I think it was just sort of a perfect storm for Barzal - like he wasn't going top 5 by draft day, so no surprises there, there were some high ceiling Dmen and Zacha in the 6-10 range and Rantanen's/Crouse's rankings were all over the place but they were definitely in play as big men in that range, then Dallas was widely rumoured to like Gurianov at 12 so someone had to be the odd man out to fall to Boston...then they skipped the guy who could have gone at #6 three times....I was very happy when that happened

Seems like there's that 1 player every draft.
Could be like 7th overall. Could be 17th.

I relate it to Chychrun this past draft. I know people have questions about his ceiling but I've always thought he'll be a solid complimentary #2 D.

Barzal is a guy I can see being that high end #2 C. Crazy to think they fall so much for players with big ???s

Hilarious Boston passed on him.
Might be a bummer we didn't grab Carlo with pick 34 tho

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
well 1st year 5 year old players can recognize an open player up ice and pass it to him (or at least try to) doesn't mean its a game plan. But the fact Marner hasnt seen a cut in ice time it probably is a gameplan
I believe it is a set play it forces the defensman to back up opening the wall also gives Marner the ability to find that area flip pass they have been using lately.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Seems like there's that 1 player every draft.
Could be like 7th overall. Could be 17th.

I relate it to Chychrun this past draft. I know people have questions about his ceiling but I've always thought he'll be a solid complimentary #2 D.

Barzal is a guy I can see being that high end #2 C. Crazy to think they fall so much for players with big ???s

Hilarious Boston passed on him.
Might be a bummer we didn't grab Carlo with pick 34 tho

I think heading into the 2015 draft if you'd said Barzal was going outside of the top 12-13 it would have been surprising, but I guess same goes for Chychrun. I see about the same, or a 1st line RW that really compliments Tavares. I still don't think that 1st line centre is out of the question for him either, he needs some consistent time playing healthy in one league and if he has some success I think the opinions will shift upwards

I think it's awesome that Boston passed on him 3 times in the bottom of the expected range, gotta feel for them but thank the stars.

And agree on the Carlo point, if we took him our top 4 is probably complete

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'll admit I was favouring Strome at draft time but I'll also fully admit that would have been a bad move had we been given the choice and took him, given what we're seeing now.

He continues to look less and less like an impact player, while Mitch is excelling more then we could have hoped for.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
From that draft thread:

:laugh: Not even close.

I'm actually surprised by the number of posters that we're angry. Kinda funny seeing some of them still trying to cling to that belief.

That's my post. But it's still premature to be chest thumping considering these kids are still only 19 years old.

All in all though, the pro-Marner crowd have always been a pretty obnoxious bunch, your post only reiterates that.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
That's my post. But it's still premature to be chest thumping considering these kids are still only 19 years old.

All in all though, the pro-Marner crowd have always been a pretty obnoxious bunch, your post only reiterates that.

So have the anti-Marner crowd.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I believe it is a set play it forces the defensman to back up opening the wall also gives Marner the ability to find that area flip pass they have been using lately.

yeah maybe, but when it was the game plan for Kessel it was "kessel blows the zone again soft POS" Marner does it "elite IQ smart move getting open up ice" I just find it funny

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
yeah maybe, but when it was the game plan for Kessel it was "kessel blows the zone again soft POS" Marner does it "elite IQ smart move getting open up ice" I just find it funny

The difference is simple. Kessel was lazy.

Marner does blow the zone too often though. It's the rest of his defensive game that makes him not even on the same planet as Kessel.

Marner back checks, Marner covers the pinching DMan almost every time. Marner doesn't swing his stick as he watching someone blow by him, etc. etc. etc.

Honestly, I think his D game is over rated though. It is very good however for a first year winger, from someone who is very offensive.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Marner does blow the zone too often though. It's the rest of his defensive game that makes him not even on the same planet as Kessel.

Marner back checks, Marner covers the pinching DMan almost every time. Marner doesn't swing his stick as he watching someone blow by him, etc. etc. etc.

Honestly, I think his D game is over rated though. It is very good however for a first year winger, from someone who is very offensive.

oh it was just a funny observation, I love mitch. But yes I agree with you last part too.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
With the way Marner is playing, it makes you think if he should have been taken before Eichel

Centers and D always get preference - Eichel is a great player. Marner has been awesome too, but I seriously doubt you have watched Eichel play this season.

IMO Marner would stay at 4.

McD
Eichel
Werenski
Marner

It has nothing to do with Werenski being better - more so being an effective dman. Everyone said he could very well be better than Hanifin

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
lol for sure. That same poster ragged on Marner so much and was always saying how the Leafs would regret forever picking him and they still has the audacity to call others obnoxious.

Some have trouble spotting talent when it doesn't come in the traditional package and correct, they were very obnoxious about it.

Set play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland