Speculation: Mitch Marner #14 - The Gentle Art of Making Enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
if i was gm i would've. the team gave you an offer they deemed was reasonable by your asinine standards, you reject it and complain about it to every pundit.
I feel like the leafs released this info, not Marner's camp. This makes him look bad so theres no point for him to let this out.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
And yes I "Should" be talking **** because Leaf nation was so confident and cocky about these 3 guys and how they would all take these huge discounts that Toronto is entitled to for some reason, yet all 3 of them took the franchise to the cleaners on the contracts they are signing/ rejecting.
Yeah, that's quite entertaining to re-read in retrospect.

Taurrax

Jun 20, 2019
Make him sit, we have a better chance at a Stanley Cup with him on the team but we have a very good forward group with or without him. Lots of hungry forward prospects in the pipeline to help partially fill the gap as well. He has no leverage so he can go make pennies on the dollar in Switzerland.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Well Leaf nation was telling us Mathhews was the best guy in the league for a while until McDavid completly left him in the dust. And yes I "Should" be talking **** because Leaf nation was so confident and cocky about these 3 guys and how they would all take these huge discounts that Toronto is entitled to for some reason, yet all 3 of them took the franchise to the cleaners on the contracts they are signing/ rejecting.

Nice to see you guys completely throw Marner under the bus now that he still hasn't signed. Same way you guys treated Nylander. 12 months ago you all were saying how incredible Marner was and how he is/will be a top 3 winger in the league but now that its time to pay up you all attack his character. Just seems a little weird.
Oh boy, the Oilers fans are looking for attention again.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
On ice skill doesn't mean a player is immune from criticism. People want Marner but he's not going to sign what's been offered than it's time to move on. If he's still mad about not getting a bonus that 99% of his fans would be lucky to get just 1% of then he needs to grow-up. Sorry if we don't have sympathy about a guy about to make over a hundred million dollars being unhappy he's not getting even more.
Im not saying you have to. But a year ago fans were saying how much better Marner is than Point, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Eichel, etc. Now after a 90+ point season and the fact he's driving a hard negotiation people are frustrated and say he's not as good as those other guys. The fan bases emotions are changing their view of his skill set/talent based on off ice negotiations that doesn't have any effect on his productivity.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'm genuinely curious how many of the offers actually make it all the way to Mitch himself. He's made it pretty clear on numerous occasions that he's leaving the negotiation up to his agent. Not saying Ferris will withhold information, but I imagine he has some power to say no as a negotiation tactic.

all of them do... every player knows everything that is going on at all times, else the agent isnt doing his job, and the player is a fool.
they pull the ' i stay out of it' or 'i let my agent handle these things' to save face

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Marner hasn't been thrown under the bus; we want to sign him.
You havn't been paying attention to the media then. TSN is ripping him on leafs lunch, Overdrive, plus look how toxic all his threads are on HFBoards. He was the golden boy and now he's being treated like Tavares when he left NYI.

Reactions: DFC

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Im not saying you have to. But a year ago fans were saying how much better Marner is than Point, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Eichel, etc. Now after a 90+ point season and the fact he's driving a hard negotiation people are frustrated and say he's not as good as those other guys. The fan bases emotions are changing their view of his skill set/talent based on off ice negotiations that doesn't have any effect on his productivity.

No they aren't, that's an asinine claim. No one is saying Marner doesn't have elite skill, what they are saying is he's overvaluing what that skill is worth. I'd be very happy to have him sign but if he's not going to sign a fair deal than trade him and move on. It's a business and I cheer for the crest of the front and not the name on the back.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Set a deadline.

Trade prospect + pick for Faulk.
Have some space for the deadline

Get ready for the year.

Johnsson - Matthews- Nylander
hyman - Tavares - Kapanen
mikhayev - kerfoot - Bracco
Moore - Spezza - Agostino

Muzzin - Barrie
Rielly - Faulk
Dermott - Ceci

Worry about it next year if he wants to hold out.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
the leafs side of negotiations have been really quiet, not sure why they would mention this offer now.
Just what I heard on TSN today. They were saying it puts pressure on Marner's camp now that it's out. This info being released wouldn't help Marner at all so no clue why his agent would release this.

Reactions: klabob

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
the leafs side of negotiations have been really quiet, not sure why they would mention this offer now.

To put pressure on Marner. This leak makes him look bad to the public, which adds pressure on him to either sign, or put up with the public perception that he's the bad guy in this. I'd be shocked if this info didn't come from Dubas. They can't up their offer, so they're adding pressure.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Still believe that Ferris is going to cave during training camp.

Dubas needs to make an example out of Marner ...they refused to negotiate during the season, and Dubas needs to maintain that precedent.

Personally i would have already dealt him away as much as i like him as a player for the way his management team has disrespected the organization.

If not signed before camp opens, he sits the season, or is traded. ...that would send a solid message to the team, the league, and all the RFA's living in this over entitled snowflake generation.

they need to remember they are being paid insane amounts of $$ to play a game that most of them love, and there are tens of thousands who would love to be in his position.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There are really only 3 potential scenarios left for me.

1. Marner takes the June offer @ 11 x 7 or 8
2. Marner is traded
3, Dubas betters the 11 x 7 or 8 year he made in June by Oct 1.

4. The Marner sits out a season narrative. I think this one is remote. Leafs would be foolish to waste an asset for a year where their widow is small since they have barrie and muzzin for only one more guaranteed year. My bet is he will be signed or traded before that happens.

Marner will sign for an already overpayment of 11 x 7/8 yrs or get an even better offer by Oct 1. Or he will most likely be traded.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You havn't been paying attention to the media then. TSN is ripping him on leafs lunch, Overdrive, plus look how toxic all his threads are on HFBoards. He was the golden boy and now he's being treated like Tavares when he left NYI.

This. It's a negotiation tactic. It's, "Look, Mitch, you have to be reasonable here or you're gonna be viewed as the bad guy."

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
No they aren't, that's an asinine claim. No one is saying Marner doesn't have elite skill, what they are saying is he's overvaluing what that skill is worth. I'd be very happy to have him sign but if he's not going to sign a fair deal than trade him and move on. It's a business and I cheer for the crest of the front and not the name on the back.
Yeah that's fair. You're not part of the vocal group calling him out. Seriously listen to TSN Overdrive from September 11th. Lots of emotion on that radio show yesterday

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
If Marner wants more than Leafs are willing to give, I hope Leafs stand firm.
If Marner doesn't sign by the deadline, then he sits.
Try and sign him again next off season and if he's still unwilling, then trade him. I wouldn't trade him now or this season though.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Are they? Yes there are a lot of trolls in Leafs related threads. Most Leaf fans want to sign him.

Reactions: KidLine93

mondo13

Sep 9, 2019
toronto
Just what I heard on TSN today. They were saying it puts pressure on Marner's camp now that it's out. This info being released wouldn't help Marner at all so no clue why his agent would release this.
To put pressure on Marner. This leak makes him look bad to the public, which adds pressure on him to either sign, or put up with the public perception that he's the bad guy in this. I'd be shocked if this info didn't come from Dubas. They can't up their offer, so they're adding pressure.

makes sense. I don't know how involved Marner has been in the negotiations, so it might also be putting pressure on Ferris from his own client. I still wouldn't give the 11 x 8 or whatever it was.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
There are really only 3 potential scenarios left for me.

1. Marner takes the June offer @ 11 x 7 or 8
2. Marner is traded
3, Dubas betters the 11 x 7 or 8 year he made in June by Oct 1.

4. The Marner sits out a season narrative. I think this one is remote. Leafs would be foolish to waste an asset for a year where their widow is small since they have barrie and muzzin for only one more guaranteed year. My bet is he will be signed or traded before that happens.

Marner will sign for an already overpayment of 11 x 7/8 yrs or get an even better offer by Oct 1. Or he will most likely be traded.
You forgot the most likely, a 3yr deal around 9aav structured 6.5 9 11.5

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah that's fair. You're not part of the vocal group calling him out. Seriously listen to TSN Overdrive from September 11th. Lots of emotion on that radio show yesterday

True, and I agree with your over all sentiment, although I would add that they were qualifying all that emotion saying "It won't matter if he doesn't miss any real games." I think it's more like they're letting emotion build up, and gave a sneak preview, but it doesn't really get unleashed unless the season starts and Marner's not on the team, with 11m dangling in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes