Speculation: Mitch Marner #14 - The Gentle Art of Making Enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
11 x 7 is a massive overpayment for him and he still turned it down. No amount of trolling on about "Matthews bent him over" and such matters. He's not Matthews, and everyone knows that. He' had 1 career PPG year and it was with a top 10 C who has gotten guys paid. He literally turned down what Tavares got paid.

Then you see all these other guys singing these awesome deals. Meanwhile Marner fed the BS of "home town boy", want to be here forever, etc etc and then ****s all over the fan base. So nah, unless he caves and signs that deal or something better, it's not too early.

He can get ****ed as far as most of us are concerned.

So they should trade him then?

This is pure emotion.

Marner is clearly comparing himself to Matthews. And 11 x 7 is a lot worse than 11 x 5, because in those extra two years, Matthews is going to get another massive raise.

It's a tough situation, but Dubas created it himself with a pair of 5 year contracts that didn't hold back a whole lot of money.

Reactions: Naturaledge

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Actually pretty pathetic to see so many cheering this **** on. Should be expected by now but actually pathetic. Shame on anyone wishing to screw over fans of the game because you dislike the team. And shame on anyone for wishing the sport of hockey to be worse overall because of it as well.

I hope all of your favorite players **** all over your teams and pull a Lindros so you can all see how it feels.
It happens, it's sports.

Reactions: Devonator

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Unless Bob's just being loose with words here, this really does suggest that Marner is pointing to the Matthews contract and saying, "I need something comparable to that." Because Bob is directly referencing Matthews's deal, and saying, since it's not quite like that, it's "not palatable" to Marner.

This is a weird situation. I think there's a lot of pride involved.

It sounds like there are a lot of tears, stamping of feet, holding of breath and shouts of "it's not fair!" coming from Marner and his camp.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
6th option:
Marner comes down to earth as the season starts, just as many RFA's have done and many will do.
Bargaining is a fickle thing.

He knows he is getting 11 x 7/8 now or Oct 1. He wouldn't be coming down to earth. This would still be an unprecedented number for a RFA winger on his 2nd contract when you see what Kucherov the reining MVP just signed with TB.

He is going to wait, and see how much further Dubas will bend. And based on how Dubas is perceived by agents, I can't blame him or Ferris.

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
I said when Austin Matthews was grossly overpaid that it would cause issues for the Leafs. Now this fiasco is happening and here's why:

Marner => Matthews for on ice production, he's the more effective player because he actually has playmaking ability and a higher hockey IQ. So he's thinking he deserves an equivalent contract to Matthews. Problem is, Matthews contract is inflated due to being over-rated to the moon by the Leafs bubble.

A nice little opinion here. Completely wrong, but an opinion.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
????? hes being ripped for good reason. hes been offered 11m+ for 7-8 years, which is MORE than fair. his daddy is giving him bad bad advice. also the tavares situation is not similar whatsoever buddy... tavares took LESS money to come back home to his place of birth lmfao. he was ripped by isles fans because they were upset they couldnt do anything with his good years there - he wasnt after money, he was after HOME.

Spoken like someone who is brainwashed. He wasn’t after money? He signed the second highest cap hit contract in the entire nhl. His daddy is not giving him bad advice. He deserves to be paid. If Auston gets 5 years I don’t see why Marner doesn’t want that too. If the Leafs don’t pay him, someone will.

Tavares was ripped by isles fans because he straight up told the organization not to trade him because he was coming back and he lied. So yeah you’re right it’s not the same.

Reactions: Naturaledge

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Marner for

Konecny & Provorov
Or
Werenski & Anderson
Or
Pesce & Teravainen
Or
Matthew Tkachuk

Tkachuk would be really nice but the Flames already have Johnny plus they feel they are already too soft. If Werenski was a right shot I would do that and CBJ probably would since their gamebreaker walked. Would do the Philly deal if Provo was a right shot but I don't think they would. Pesce and Teravainen makes them a better club but I think we have seen the absolute best that both can do and I worry that they might not as good outside their current environment.

Mitch's salary expectations really kill his value IMO. I wonder if he would soften up if he didn't have Matthews deal in his face? Unfortunately I think he wouldn't budge on his numbers until after a deal was made so whoever wanted him would be assuming at an $11M x 5 deal is what he is after.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He knows he is getting 11 x 7/8 now or Oct 1. He wouldn't be coming down to earth. This would still be an unprecedented number for a RFA winger on his 2nd contract when you see what Kucherov the reining MVP just signed with TB.

He is going to wait, and see how much further Dubas will bend. And based on how Dubas is perceived by agents, I can't blame him or Ferris.

Yeah, this was Hayes's point on Overdrive. If that was the offer in June, it doesn't hurt to wait and see if they can squeeze a few more dimes and nickels out, late September.

You really have to wonder if Dubas is viewed as "weak," so to speak, by agents at this point. They're obviously waiting because they think the offer can and will go up.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Just cave a little bit more Dubas and get this chaos done with. Everyone is pretty much expecting now that in the end MM will get pretty much an exact replica of AM's deal.

Get the deal done so the Leafs can move on and get things rolling asap

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Actually pretty pathetic to see so many cheering this **** on. Should be expected by now but actually pathetic. Shame on anyone wishing to screw over fans of the game because you dislike the team. And shame on anyone for wishing the sport of hockey to be worse overall because of it as well.

I hope all of your favorite players **** all over your teams and pull a Lindros so you can all see how it feels.

You just said it was pathetic how people are saying that and then in the next paragraph are hoping for it to happen to them? Weird man

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Nah. It’s hilarious. All the chest thumping leaf fans this entire year with dumass “we can and we will!” Whenever anyone suggested they’d have cap issues.

Seeing this shit blow up in your faces now is hilarious. If I had more time on my hands I could dig up some absolute gems of replies to posts suggesting dubas didn’t know what he was getting into.

Guy has no stones and is getting burned

(Also this is from an islanders fan to a leafs fan, who couldn’t stop throwing stones after they signed jt... the irony :laugh:. But as someone who’s team has gotten screwed over by their POS player, lighten up a bit it’s just a game. What’s really pathetic is how upset you seem and marner will sign eventually)

Reactions: Richard Cranium

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If that is his sticking point then he should be traded.

I don't even really disagree. I'm just saying, based on that Bobby Mac tweet, that appears to be the situation. McKenzie directly related the offer to Matthews's contract, and said, because it wasn't as sweet as AM's deal, it wasn't palatable to Marner. That's scary, IMO. I think this is more about pride than dollars. Or "as much" about pride, anyway. He's looking at a single guy as his comparable.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Except that 2 1/2 months show that no team thinks Marner is worth what he thinks he is worth.

You can’t possibly know that. Secondly you disagree that someone will pay him? The issue lies in the 4 firsts that would be added. If he was a free agent I guarantee someone would give him that money

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Do you have anything to base this on?

Only basis is that it was someone's idea to wait until this off-season to negotiate a new deal with a heavily cap-crunched team. Everything else is pure hunch/speculation, recognizing a few "ifs" have to happen first.

Naturaledge

Dec 31, 2013
I can't understand why some folks have a hard time understanding Marner's thought process on the reported offer of 7 X 11? Those UFA numbers will be reset within 4 years when Mathews will no doubt negotiate an extension. Marner would end up getting massively underpaid compared to his teammate. The way I see it is that Dubas needs to bridge Marner or trade him. Lots of laughs at those posters who say, "let him sit".

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Then you see all these other guys singing these awesome deals. Meanwhile Marner fed the BS of "home town boy", want to be here forever, etc etc and then ****s all over the fan base. So nah, unless he caves and signs that deal or something better, it's not too early.

He can get ****ed as far as most of us are concerned.

Hahahahahaha the irony oh my god. Keep posts like this coming!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

It's more pathetic to have someone complaining about people commenting on a topic on a discussion board.

If you watch TSN, listen to sports radio, it has been one of the leading topics all summer.

Here's a simple solution, you don't like the thread or topic, don't click it. But let those that want to participate in the topic, and there are many who do, post about it in peace.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Except that 2 1/2 months show that no team thinks Marner is worth what he thinks he is worth.

Or they know that, like Brayden Point, Marner won't sign an OS. That could change. Could change for Point too. I don't think it's as simple as teams thinking Marner is being ridiculous. There are a lot of desperate teams in this league, and some of them either have, or would be able to create, the cap space needed for a franchise winger.

At the same time, it's really tough to say how much of this is posturing. Once camp really gets under way, maybe Marner decides Toronto's offer REALLY isn't going to go up. Maybe right now he believes it might. If he starts missing games, or even misses enough camp to fall behind--that's when this starts to hurt the team. At that point I think it could get really ugly. Right now it might all be posturing.

What I mean is: Is Marner digging his heels in because it's either a Matthews deal or he won't play? Or is he digging his heels in because he believes Dubas will add a couple hundred K at the 11th hour? We don't know just yet.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Ya I would delete this one chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad