Speculation: Mitch Marner #14 - The Gentle Art of Making Enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You can’t possibly know that. Secondly you disagree that someone will pay him? The issue lies in the 4 firsts that would be added. If he was a free agent I guarantee someone would give him that money

Chris Johnston has said that the Marner camp has been actively soliciting teams to sign him to a 3 year deal that would under the 4 1sts return range and there has been no takers.

Reactions: DFC

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Nah. It’s hilarious. All the chest thumping leaf fans this entire year with dumass “we can and we will!” Whenever anyone suggested they’d have cap issues.

Seeing this **** blow up in your faces now is hilarious. If I had more time on my hands I could dig up some absolute gems of replies to posts suggesting dubas didn’t know what he was getting into.

Guy has no stones and is getting burned

(Also this is from an islanders fan to a leafs fan, who couldn’t stop throwing stones after they signed jt... the irony :laugh:. But as someone who’s team has gotten screwed over by their POS player, lighten up a bit it’s just a game. What’s really pathetic is how upset you seem and marner will sign eventually)

Ya the behavior from alot of fans was absolutely insane and ridiculous over the past while, but all in all when guys like Matthews and Marner set the tone with these new, ridiculous contracts, it is setting the tone across the league for contracts... like what if Barzal tops his rookie point total and puts up 95 points this year? What if Debrincat scores 50 and puts up 90-100 points? Etc etc... there is no reason what so ever they dont demand atleast what Marner and Matthews make next summer and I dont blame them at all

These demands mixed with Dubas agreeing to them is killing the league

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I don't even really disagree. I'm just saying, based on that Bobby Mac tweet, that appears to be the situation. McKenzie directly related the offer to Matthews's contract, and said, because it wasn't as sweet as AM's deal, it wasn't palatable to Marner. That's scary, IMO. I think this is more about pride than dollars. Or "as much" about pride, anyway. He's looking at a single guy as his comparable.

a teammate that he has performed better than or equal to. The moment TML handed out that Matthews deal, they opened themselves up to this possibility.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Or they know that, like Brayden Point, Marner won't sign an OS.

Marner has been actively soliciting offer sheets. He was doing so around July 1st (according to everyone including his agent) and has been doing so recently (according to Chris Johnston)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Or they know that, like Brayden Point, Marner won't sign an OS. That could change. Could change for Point too. I don't think it's as simple as teams thinking Marner is being ridiculous. There are a lot of desperate teams in this league, and some of them either have, or would be able to create, the cap space needed for a franchise winger.

At the same time, it's really tough to say how much of this is posturing. Once camp really gets under way, maybe Marner decides Toronto's offer REALLY isn't going to go up. Maybe right now he believes it might. If he starts missing games, or even misses enough camp to fall behind--that's when this starts to hurt the team. At that point I think it could get really ugly. Right now it might all be posturing.

What I mean is: Is Marner digging his heels in because it's either a Matthews deal or he won't play? Or is he digging his heels in because he believes Dubas will add a couple hundred K at the 11th hour? We don't know just yet.
I mean the Leafs offer cant go up. I doubt the 11x7 is even there anymore as I'm not sure the Leafs would be able to fit that. If he had of signed it 3 months ago Dubas would have been able to work around that for the summer.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Ya the behavior from alot of fans was absolutely insane and ridiculous over the past while, but all in all when guys like Matthews and Marner set the tone with these new, ridiculous contracts, it is setting the tone across the league for contracts... like what if Barzal tops his rookie point total and puts up 95 points this year? What if Debrincat scores 50 and puts up 90-100 points? Etc etc... there is no reason what so ever they dont demand atleast what Marner and Matthews make.

These demands mixed with Dubas agreeing to them is killing the league

You gotta think gms of other teams will make it clear to their players that they aren’t getting bent over like that idiot. It’s worse in the marner situation bc he outplayed Matthews on the same team

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can't understand why some folks have a hard time understanding Marner's thought process on the reported offer of 7 X 11? Those UFA numbers will be reset within 4 years when Mathews will no doubt negotiate an extension. Marner would end up getting massively underpaid compared to his teammate. The way I see it is that Dubas needs to bridge Marner or trade him. Lots of laughs at those posters who say, "let him sit".

This. Thank you for summarizing what I've been clumsily trying to say. Matthews has set himself up to quite possibly be the highest paid player of his generation, because he's gonna be like 26 years old, looking for his 3rd contract. Marner, taking 7 years, on the other hand, puts him at like 30 years old, and teams aren't handing those retirement deals out like candy anymore. Over the course of a career, the difference in money is massive.

I'm not trying to say Marner is "right" or "wrong." I'm saying Dubas left himself open to this kind of thing by handing Matthews such a ridiculously player friendly deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad