Player Discussion Miro Heiskanen 3rd overall 2017 Draft (signed ELC)

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
I'd like to know why Nill prefers Liiga over AHL.

You have a much better controll of his development in AHL, he gets to know the team style, new rink and if he plays well maybe called up later in the year.
While not burning a year of his ELC.

I'd argue Liiga is a stronger league, he's more comfortable there, and he's still on contract with Liiga. I believe his contract has a buyout exception for making the NHL, but doesn't for the AHL. Similar to Val in that way. At least that's how I understand it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd argue Liiga is a stronger league, he's more comfortable there, and he's still on contract with Liiga. I believe his contract has a buyout exception for making the NHL, but doesn't for the AHL. Similar to Val in that way. At least that's how I understand it.

That's why it would be better to learn in AHL and be comfortable when he transfers to NHL instead of jumping straight from Liiga to NHL.
It's a different rink.

Liiga and AHL are in the same tier, and I really liked how Rantanen developed in his +1 year, or how AHL helped Pasta, W. Nylander. The team has full controll of their development in AHL, in Liiga they don't. He's a 3rd overall pick and extremely valuable asset for Dallas.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think there is just such a high volume of LHD in the AHL right now it might block his development. I have no question that Miro would be the best of them all, I'm just afraid Laxdal might favour the older players or push him to the right side. In Finland we know he's going to get top pairing minutes and responsibly

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'd like to know why Nill prefers Liiga over AHL.

You have a much better controll of his development in AHL, he gets to know the team style, new rink and if he plays well maybe called up later in the year.
While not burning a year of his ELC.

Could just be that our left side in Texas is a little crowded with Bay-Hetherington-Bodnarchuck-Martenet

Leaving him in Finland means that our top 2 LD prospects Bay and Heiskanen can both get top pairing minutes this year

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Could just be that our left side in Texas is a little crowded with Bay-Hetherington-Bodnarchuck-Martenet

Leaving him in Finland means that our top 2 LD prospects Bay and Heiskanen can both get top pairing minutes this year

He should, but that's not quaranteed and not in Dallas' controll.

To me top3 pick has huge value to teams and having as much controll as possible of their development should be the goal here when he can jump to AHL, they could create space for him in AHL& make sure he gets the minutes. Having him learn to play in NHL rink next year instead of +2 season would be a huge +. No Finn ever has a perfect transition from European rink to NHL rink.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

To me top3 pick has huge value to teams and having as much controll as possible of their development should be the goal here when he can jump to AHL, they could create space for him in AHL& make sure he gets the minutes. Having him learn to play in NHL rink next year instead of +2 season would be a huge +. No Finn ever has a perfect transition from European rink to NHL rink.
He hasn't dominated in Liiga yet. Let him first do that.

Then he'll move to the NHL, try to challenge for a spot at the training camp next year and skip the AHL if he's ready or start the year in the AHL and then take over more slowly.

And he can join Texas in the upcoming season if they make it to the playoffs IF he isn't too busy with the international games etc.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Then he'll move to the NHL, try to challenge for a spot at the training camp next year and skip the AHL if he's ready or start the year in the AHL and then take over more slowly.

And he can join Texas in the upcoming season if they make it to the playoffs IF he isn't too busy with the international games etc.

How about that Heiskanen plays 9 NHL games to Dallas this season and after that he returns to HIFK.
That would make it possible Heiskanen's ELC contract will move forward for one year and makes him calder trophy eligible for season 2018-2019.

I don't know exactly how many international games Heiskanen plays this season ( 2017-2018).
World juniors in Buffalo are of course one tournament where Heiskanen participates for sure if he isn't full-time NHLer.

2018 Winter Olympic games in South Korea are a month after world juniors so it's unlikely to see Heiskanen there.
But 2018 IIHF hockey world championships in Denmark is that tournament where Heiskanen could be in Finland's team.
Of course that depends a lot of that how many NHL and KHL players Finland will get that tournament.

If Heiskanen makes it and plays to NHL whole season then he'll miss world juniors in Buffalo.
But Dallas Stars legend Jere Lehtinen is now Finland's national team GM so maybe Jere can talk to Nill and get Heiskanen released to world juniors.
Or hockey world championships in Denmark if Heiskanen really plays to NHL this season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He shouldn't have to dominate Liiga before he can join AHL. Liiga is just a starting place, NHL is the goal for these prospects. AHL has more to teach than Liiga.

I would like to see Heiskanen as everyday NHL player in 18/19 and have a smooth transition, spending a year in AHL gives him the best chance for that.
He could be available at the end of year but who knows where HIFK goes next year.

Last edited:

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
With his IQ and skills I'm not even bit worried about him adjusting to AHL/NHL.

Bigger thing IMO is his still a kid and from interviews it seems his not one of those "ready to see world at 15" type kids like Honka. Let him grow and mature for one year at home. Let him sharpen his skills amongst men and let him dominate.

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
He shouldn't have to dominate Liiga before he can join AHL. Liiga is just a starting place, NHL is the goal for these prospects. AHL has more to teach than Liiga.

I would like to see Heiskanen as everyday NHL player in 18/19 and have a smooth transition, spending a year in AHL gives him the best chance for that.
He could be available at the end of year but who knows where HIFK goes next year.

I think you're highly underestimating Liiga. And players are transitioning straight from Euro to the NHL directly now more than ever. I don't think Heiskanen will ever play in CP. Janmark didn't, Klingberg didn't, I don't think he will either

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think you're highly underestimating Liiga. And players are transitioning straight from Euro to the NHL directly now more than ever. I don't think Heiskanen will ever play in CP. Janmark didn't, Klingberg didn't, I don't think he will either

I'm a Finn, and was just yesterday talking with Florida fans how no Finn transfers perfectly from Liiga to NHL.
AHL offers more than Liiga, but after AHL Liiga is my 2nd league for him development wise.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
With his IQ and skills I'm not even bit worried about him adjusting to AHL/NHL.

Bigger thing IMO is his still a kid and from interviews it seems his not one of those "ready to see world at 15" type kids like Honka. Let him grow and mature for one year at home. Let him sharpen his skills amongst men and let him dominate.

Dominating against adult grown men's in Finland's SM liiga is really difficult to 18 yrs old dman.
Only dman who's dominated in SM liiga was Erik Karlsson during last NHL lockout season ( 2012-2013).

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
I'm a Finn, and was just yesterday talking with Florida fans how no Finn transfers perfectly from Liiga to NHL.
AHL offers more than Liiga, but after AHL Liiga is my 2nd league for him development wise.

Fair enough. I just personally don't see it as huge as an issue as I used to.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

I mean if he isnt on the top pairing in Finland then that means he isnt ready for those minutes yet. If that is the case then I wouldnt want him playing top minutes in the AHL. Regardless him coming over takes minutes away from one of or both Bay and Hetherington. Keeping him there allows for more minute to our prospects and Liiga is a very good league too. Kid will learn a bunch over there

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
How about that Heiskanen plays 9 NHL games to Dallas this season and after that he returns to HIFK.
That would make it possible Heiskanen's ELC contract will move forward for one year and makes him calder trophy eligible for season 2018-2019.

I don't know exactly how many international games Heiskanen plays this season ( 2017-2018).
World juniors in Buffalo are of course one tournament where Heiskanen participates for sure if he isn't full-time NHLer.

2018 Winter Olympic games in South Korea are a month after world juniors so it's unlikely to see Heiskanen there.
But 2018 IIHF hockey world championships in Denmark is that tournament where Heiskanen could be in Finland's team.
Of course that depends a lot of that how many NHL and KHL players Finland will get that tournament.

If Heiskanen makes it and plays to NHL whole season then he'll miss world juniors in Buffalo.
But Dallas Stars legend Jere Lehtinen is now Finland's national team GM so maybe Jere can talk to Nill and get Heiskanen released to world juniors.
Or hockey world championships in Denmark if Heiskanen really plays to NHL this season.

If Heiskanen makes the team this year its because we are clearly better with him in the lineup than without. If that is the case there is no way we lend him to the national team because that would make us objectively worse for a stretch for no reason other than Fans would like to see him in the World juniors

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I mean if he isnt on the top pairing in Finland then that means he isnt ready for those minutes yet. If that is the case then I wouldnt want him playing top minutes in the AHL. Regardless him coming over takes minutes away from one of or both Bay and Hetherington. Keeping him there allows for more minute to our prospects and Liiga is a very good league too. Kid will learn a bunch over there

There's a coaching change next year, who knows what happens there next year.
Dallas has no controll over that if he plays in Liiga.

Another thing I've been struggling with is his offseason/how it's been planned. He just doesn't have time to stay at 1 place and focus improving his weaknessess, he's constantly traveling, and if he goes back to Liiga he should not be at the pre season camp.

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

Another thing I've been struggling with is his offseason/how it's been planned. He just doesn't have time to stay at 1 place and focus improving his weaknessess, he's constantly traveling, and if he goes back to Liiga he should not be at the pre season camp.

Maybe you are taking this too seriously?

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Hmmm.... did you miss the last season or what?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Coaching change or not my point stands. If he is getting top pairing minutes he should get them because he deserves them if he isn't it's probably because he doesn't deserve it yet.

Regardless the one thing that is a fact is that him coming to NA will take minutes away from Bay and Hetherington. If we have the chance at both our top LD playing 23 a night why not? I don't see any issue with him in Finland next year

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Maybe you are taking this too seriously?

We Finns have developed so few elite D-men through our history, I wish Heiskanen to become 1 and be developed as well as possible.

Hmmm.... did you miss the last season or what?

Laine's 5on5/transition game in the neutral zone certainly wasn't great on the 1st half of the season. On the 2nd half of the season he started to remind of Liiga Laine.

Coaching change or not my point stands. If he is getting top pairing minutes he should get them because he deserves them if he isn't it's probably because he doesn't deserve it yet.

Regardless the one thing that is a fact is that him coming to NA will take minutes away from Bay and Hetherington. If we have the chance at both our top LD playing 23 a night why not? I don't see any issue with him in Finland next year

Players don't always get the minutes they deserve. Like I said Dallas will have no controll of Heiskanens playing in Liiga.

wloff

May 25, 2013
I think you're being way too pessimistic about the idea of him staying in Finland. I get that you want the best possible development for Miro, we all do, but he's spent his entire life going through the Finnish youth system (and now one season of Liiga) and it's been working well for him so far. (And don't worry, he'll get his minutes in IFK, it's not like we have a busload of quality defensemen about to take his spot or something...)

In my opinion, going AHL instead of Liiga makes sense only if Dallas wants to flirt with the idea of him playing at least some of the season up in the NHL -- the obvious benefit is that he can be moved up and down between the leagues if he lives in the States. But there's also the fact that Texas might as well be on a different planet compared to Finland. Moving there would be an absolutely massive change in his life, which can also cause all kinds of problems. Miro is still basically a child -- this time last season he was still expected to play with the juniors and maybe get a couple of games with the men for good measure. I don't think anyone really expected him to develop so massively so quickly.

In other news, Miro turns 18 today. HBD!

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
We Finns have developed so few elite D-men through our history, I wish Heiskanen to become 1 and be developed as well as possible.

Laine's 5on5/transition game in the neutral zone certainly wasn't great on the 1st half of the season. On the 2nd half of the season he started to remind of Liiga Laine.

Players don't always get the minutes they deserve. Like I said Dallas will have no controll of Heiskanens playing in Liiga.

Man you are way way way over thinking this. Kid will be fine here or there

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It would be thrilling to see Miro get to play the first 9 games. Although I'm not expecting him to and I don't think he's ready physically. The kid needs to bulk up big time. Does anyone know if his height grow has stalled yet by the way? Nevertheless he can compensate some of the shortcomings with his ridiculous hockey IQ but naturally it's harder for defensemen than forwards.

I fully expect him to have a huge season come 2018-19!

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
It would be thrilling to see Miro get to play the first 9 games. Although I'm not expecting him to and I don't think he's ready physically. The kid needs to bulk up big time. Does anyone know if his height grow has stalled yet by the way? Nevertheless he can compensate some of the shortcomings with his ridiculous hockey IQ but naturally it's harder for defensemen than forwards.

I fully expect him to have a huge season come 2018-19!

First 9 games is only a metric for Junior players, not Euros. If Miro stays over after training camp I'm pretty sure he's in NA for the year, whether AHL or NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad