Player Discussion Miro Heiskanen 3rd overall 2017 Draft (signed ELC)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd probably wait until it's confirmed he's going back there.

Season starts in September so I have time to wait.
It's 20e a month and shows every game, Ill likely end up taking it anyways.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I suppose it depends on who takes them in the import draft. If someone like the Knights take him, maybe there would be a chance he goes over. If Sudbury takes him for instance, there's no chance. I would think the Stars would prefer him being in the AHL over the CHL anyways because all signs point to him being much too advanced to play against his peers.

I think the Stars are more than comfortable sending Heiskanen back to HIFK due to their familiarity (Hintz playing there) as well as having Kari Takko as one of our head scouts to monitor his progress.

Heiskanen didn't get drafted to CHL ( what a huge relief).
Now it's time to wait Stars training camp and what Nill decides to do with Heiskanen.

Sending Heiskanen back to HIFK after training camp is likely but not sure.
Takko has done excellent job as Dallas head European scout so Kari is more than right guy to monitor Heiskanen's development in HIFK.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So he's going to be hampered by injuries early in his career?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
So he's going to be hampered by injuries early in his career?

HIFK has been most injury prone team in SM liiga last years.
But now HIFK's management has recognized that problem and hired conditional coach ( Harri Yrttiaho).

To produce a salary for conditional coach would never have happened if HIFK fans would not have demanded it.
Based on Miro's comments after draft he'll work throughout entire summer to practice with conditional coach.

HIFK as a hockey organisation is one of most followed in Finland.
But the management is full old dinosaurs who not have any clue how to lead professional hockey team in Finland today.

HIFK's chairman Everi is interested only Champions Hockey League and Helsinki Garden project ( new home-arena to HIFK).
GM Valtanen looks only budget and he does not care anything other than money.

Sport Manager Nybondas is lazy, extremely arrogant and cocky ******* who's only passion in the summer is play golf and remix ( drink Alcohol) as much as possible.
Nybondas never learn his mistakes also he doesn't have any clue how to build a team which have realistic chances to play SM liiga championships title every season.

Nybondas also signs a players who's injury history is longer than Mcdonald's hamburger line in Christmas eve and point totals low as possible.
Every post season Nybondas makes excuses how free-agent marketing's are empty.
And HIFK isn't first option to free agent players who are interested to come play in Finland if they won't get NHL / KHL / NLA / SHL contract offers.

Most saddest is that Nybondas has double role in HIFK orgasation he's also GM to HIFK juniors and sport manager HIFK's liiga team.
He's failed in his job several times but still he's able to keep his job.
He also has no liability in any way whatsoever best way to describe this floater is that if he would have been NHL GM he would have been fired years ago ( yes he's that bad).

Dallas stars management should not be worried of Heiskanen's progress he'll have chances to develop his physicality in HIFK.
But developing his offensive upside isn't easy in liiga.

SM liiga is defensive oriented men's league where top defenceman's scores usually 40-45 points per season.
If Heiskanen could score near 35-45 points in liiga next season it'll be very good reading to young defenceman.

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
But now HIFK's management has recognized that problem and hired conditional coach ( Harri Yrttiaho).

To produce a salary for conditional coach would never have happened if HIFK fans would not have demanded it.
Based on Miro's comments after draft he'll work throughout entire summer to practice with conditional coach.

But the management full old dinosaurs who not have any clue how to lead professional hockey team in Finland today.

HIFK's chairman Everi is interested only Champions Hockey League and Helsinki Garden project ( new home-arena to HIFK).

Sport Manager Nybondas is lazy, extremely arrogant and cocky ******* who's only passion in the summer is play golf and remix ( drink Alcohol) as much as possible.
Nybondas never learn his mistakes also he doesn't have any clue how to build a team which have realistic chances to play SM liiga championships title every season.

Nybondas also signs a players who's injury history is longer than Mcdonald's hamburger line in Christmas eve and point totals low as possible.
And HIFK isn't first option to free agent players who are interested to come play in Finland if they won't get NHL / KHL / NLA / SHL contract offers.

Most saddest is that Nybondas has double role in HIFK orgasation he's also GM to HIFK juniors and sport manager HIFK's liiga team.

He also has no liability in any way whatsoever best way to describe this floater is that if he would have been NHL GM he would have been fired years ago ( yes he's that bad).

Dallas should not be worried of Heiskane's progress he'll have chances to develop his physicality in HIFK.

SM liiga is defensive oriented men's league where top defenceman's scores usually 40-45 points per season.
If Heiskanen could score near 35-45 points in liiga next season it'l be very good reading to young defenceman.

A lot to take in here.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

You can't make that statement and not add some context. Is there some weird McDonald's tradition in Finland? This sounds like it could be interesting.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm just glad Heiskanen wasn't taken in the CHL import draft so he can get in the hamburger line on Christmas eve and also remix on the golf course next summer.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
You can't make that statement and not add some context. Is there some weird McDonald's tradition in Finland? This sounds like it could be interesting.

That was meant by a joke i like add some humor to my comments.
I hate mr Nybondas to bottom of my heart as most HIFK fans.

We ( HIFK fans) have waited him ( Nybondas) to get fired at least last 3 yrs but still he's in his job.
HIFK is good hockey team but management is as i said full of old dinosaurs who should have been replaced years ago.

If you look that how Tappara dominates ( Tappara has been in liiga finals five straight seasons starting to 2012- 2013 ) SM liiga right at the moment.
We can say for sure HIFK is badly behind of them ( HIFK's last SM liiga championship season was 2010-2011). But now back in topic.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm just glad Heiskanen wasn't taken in the CHL import draft so he can get in the hamburger line on Christmas eve and also remix on the golf course next summer.

I'm sure Heiskanen's 2017 Christmas eve goes to World juniors in Buffalo.
Heiskanen is locked Finland's team and only an injury keeps him away that tourney.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

We ( HIFK fans) have waited him ( Nybondas) to get fired at least last 3 yrs but still he's in his job.
HIFK is good hockey team but management is as i said full of old dinosaurs who should have been replaced years ago.

If you look that how Tappara dominates ( Tappara has been in liiga finals five straight seasons starting to 2012- 2013 ) SM liiga right at the moment.
We can say for sure HIFK is badly behind of them ( HIFK's last SM liiga championship season was 2011). But now back in topic.

I see that Joe Finley plays for your team, that is indeed a sign of bad management.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I see that Joe Finley plays for your team, that is indeed a sign of bad management.

Finley and Heiskanen was HIFK's only positive defence pair last season.
HIFK had players who busted compared to the expectations Hintz was OK but other forwards not so good.

Heiskanen and Finley were best defencemans in HIFK but other defencemans weren't so good.
HIFK ended 4th place ( lost Bronze game to JYP) which was ok.

But HIFK is a team which should compete SM liiga championship every year not that they just barely make to liiga playoffs.
HIFK was 9th best team in liiga regular season this past season 2016-2017.

We ( HIFK fans) love our team and we stand behind of team every year.
But management staff like Everi,Valtanen and Nybondas must realize that we want see HIFK succeeding in liiga.
Because that Tappara's dominance is getting too boring. We are a bit jealous to Tappara because they are best and we don't.

It was Patrik Laine who lead Tappara to liiga champions season 2015-2016.
HIFK couldn't eliminate him because HIFK's defence lacked shutdown defenceman and Nybondas is that guy who's job is sign players to HIFK.
That's why he has received a lot negative critic because he can't learn his mistakes and do his job better than passable.

Also some reason he goes often that route where fence is lowest in his player signings.
He's signed some good players (Roope Hintz, Granlund brothers and Joe Finley as a example) but there's unfortunately too many flops which Nybondas has signed.

Those flops were guys like Joel Perrault, Tyler Redenbach, Patrick O'Sullivan, Braden Birch, Austin Block, Tommi Taimi, and Miro Karjalainen ( Dallas 5th rounder 2014 draft) some to name.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

We can say for sure HIFK is badly behind of them ( HIFK's last SM liiga championship season was 2011). But now back in topic.

Oh I understood it as a joke, but I just assumed it might be based on some kind of local tradition ... like there was something special about McDonald's in Finland on Christmas Eve.

Now ... I'm sad though. I was already planning a Christmas trip for a BigMac with sour rye bun.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

But the management is full old dinosaurs who not have any clue how to lead professional hockey team in Finland today.

Dallas stars management should not be worried of Heiskanen's progress he'll have chances to develop his physicality in HIFK.

If Heiskanen could score near 35-45 points in liiga next season it'll be very good reading to young defenceman.

I feel like for 18y that's a huge expectation.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I'm for him going to whichever league doesn't test for roids and HGH.

Is anybody familiar with the NHL's testing standards? Seems like the league is fairly hands off. Granted, NHL players would benefit more from drugs like EPO than traditional androgens, but who was the last one busted? For the record, I'm somewhat pro-steroids. I would not judge Heiskanen if he started next year at 6'4 230 lbs. :laugh:

MaV

Jun 23, 2002

I don't really think these points assessments are accurate. No defenseman has scored 40 points in past five seasons in Liiga and only once the top defenseman has had more than 35 points. Also, if Heiskanen stays in Finland he'll miss at least five games due to WJC and more than that if he goes to Stars' training camp. If he plays 45 to 50 games, 25+ points would be very good for a 18-year-old defenseman.

I wouldn't be too worried about developing offensive game in Liiga either. PP is one thing and there's no problem with that. On equal strength I'd say it's a good thing if you are playing against teams that actually know how to defend, as long as your team is trying to play offensive game, control the puck and defensemen are allowed to join rushed etc. There is no reason those conditions wouldn't be met in Heiskanen's case.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Heiskanen didn't get drafted to CHL ( what a huge relief).
Now it's time to wait Stars training camp and what Nill decides to do with Heiskanen.

Sending Heiskanen back to HIFK after training camp is likely but not sure.
Takko has done excellent job as Dallas head European scout so Kari is more than right guy to monitor Heiskanen's development in HIFK.

Why is him not getting drafted a good thing? Nill has favored men's leagues over the CHL for development so even if he had been drafted he probably would be sent back to Finland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad