Player Discussion Miro Heiskanen 3rd overall 2017 Draft (signed ELC)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I didn't found Heiskanen's prospect thread so i made this.
Heiskanen is officially now Stars prospect so it's time to ask where plays next season.

What are Dallas plans to develop him is it immediately to AHL or one season in HIFK.
And how about CHL if Heiskanen gets drafted upcoming CHL import draft.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Heiskanen is officially now Stars prospect so it's time to ask where plays next season.

What are Dallas plans to develop him is it immediately to AHL or one season in HIFK.

He's so young, I'm fine with HIFK or AHL.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Too early to tell gotta wait until after Development Camp and how he does there. I think even NHL is not out of the question if he does well albeit its probably unlikely.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Development camp won't tell you much. Like Janmark, it'll start with Traverse City. If he can't get rolling, he could stick in North America.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Development camp won't tell you much. Like Janmark, it'll start with Traverse City. If he can't get rolling, he could stick in North America.

Hmm you're right kinda meant Traverse City as well :laugh: and yes i had the Janmark route in mind. If Heiskanen impresses enough he could actually make the NHL .

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'm very excited to see what Heiskanen brings to the table for our D-Corps!

If he slots in with Klingberg eventually, this is a huge win for us.

It's never as sexy to take a Dman, but defense wins games. Time will tell, but I think this was a smart pick.

High upside, lowish risk, and if it pans out, then you have an asset that is much harder to acquire than a #2 or #1B Center.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

My wish has been AHL for him, get used to the rink, team system and play in a more offensive role.

But I'll keep an eye on him if he stays, who knows maybe we'll see him at the Olympics :laugh:

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan

He is only 17. He will definitely be playing in HIFK for at least one year. After next year I imagine they will reassess best option.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
I have the feeling that Miro won't have problems with NA smaller rink with his IQ and positioning.

He has been playing his whole junior career amongst older competition which has probably crafted him into more defensive player that he has potential. I think best thing for him is to stay one year in Finland. Play against men, start to dominate and learn to contribute better offensively. After that AHL/NHL.

I'm not expert but I have a feeling that he could be NHL ready pretty soon. Especially with his complete defensive play.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I have the feeling that Miro won't have problems with NA smaller rink with his IQ and positioning.

He has been playing his whole junior career amongst older competition which has probably crafted him into more defensive player that he has potential. I think best thing for him is to stay one year in Finland. Play against men, start to dominate and learn to contribute better offensively. After that AHL/NHL.

I'm not expert but I have a feeling that he could be NHL ready pretty soon. Especially with his complete defensive play.

As a HIFK fan i can tell that HIFK has facing a lot changes this upcoming season ( 2017-2018).
Antti Tormanen who coached Miro this past season isn't HIFK's head coach anymore Tormanen got fired in April when HIFK lost liiga's bronze medal game to JYP.

Ari Pekka Selin is new HIFK head coach and he's a coach who requires his players giving 120 percent in every game.
HIFK has hired conditional coach ( Harri Yrttiaho) and Miro will work with him throughout the whole summer.
So he has very good chances to get more muscle in HIFK.

No-one not know yet what-kind hockey HIFK plays next season and how that develops Miro as a player.
Miro needs to improve his offence ( scoring points and improving his shot) and that's not easy in SM liiga because liiga is highly defensive oriented men's league.

So lets see what Dallas decides before NHL regular season starts.
If / when one season in HIFK is best to Miro then OK let him stay in Finland.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Ideally I want him back in Finland learning the left side of the ice and getting 20-22 a night. Given his skating and th e fact that he will have 2 years of pro experience by 18-19 I wouldn't be shocked to see him make the NHL team in a year

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nill said that he's probably going back to HIFK, so you'll likely get to see much more of him this year.

I watched the interview and he hinted that he wants to see him in the camp/pre season. But when do they have to make the final decision between AHL/Liiga?

Ideally I want him back in Finland learning the left side of the ice and getting 20-22 a night. Given his skating and th e fact that he will have 2 years of pro experience by 18-19 I wouldn't be shocked to see him make the NHL team in a year

If he goes back to Liiga they can call him up at any point of the season?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
They don't have a timeline to make a decision. That said, they may do the exact same thing they did with Janmark and say back to Europe or in the NHL which means he'll probably go back to the Liiga.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015

I wish we wouldn't do that. He looks really good on the right side just like Klingberg did when he played the left side. In a league where offense is on the rise I don't understand why we would unnecessarily (potentially) limit his offensive ceiling.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Nill said that he's probably going back to HIFK, so you'll likely get to see much more of him this year.

I really hope that Heiskanen stays in HIFK but that CHL import draft scares me.
CHL teams have drafted Finnish players who have played well in U18 WJC's.

And there's some Finns which have come drafted to NHL and CHL same year.
( Vili Saarijarvi and Julius Nattinen 2015 and Janne Kuokkanen and Eetu Tuulola 2016 all these guys reported to CHL instead playing in SM liiga).

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I wish we wouldn't do that. He looks really good on the right side just like Klingberg did when he played the left side. In a league where offense is on the rise I don't understand why we would unnecessarily (potentially) limit his offensive ceiling.

Heiskanen is left handed but he can play both sides ( left and right).

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I suppose it depends on who takes them in the import draft. If someone like the Knights take him, maybe there would be a chance he goes over. If Sudbury takes him for instance, there's no chance. I would think the Stars would prefer him being in the AHL over the CHL anyways because all signs point to him being much too advanced to play against his peers.

I think the Stars are more than comfortable sending Heiskanen back to HIFK due to their familiarity (Hintz playing there) as well as having Kari Takko as one of our head scouts to monitor his progress.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I suppose it depends on who takes them in the import draft. If someone like the Knights take him, maybe there would be a chance he goes over. If Sudbury takes him for instance, there's no chance. I would think the Stars would prefer him being in the AHL over the CHL anyways because all signs point to him being much too advanced to play against his peers.

I think the Stars are more than comfortable sending Heiskanen back to HIFK due to their familiarity (Hintz playing there) as well as having Kari Takko as one of our head scouts to monitor his progress.

They go on and on about playing against men, I can't imagine they'd want him to go down in competition.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've decided that I'll buy Ruutu+ for next season and watch every one of his games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->