Player Discussion Miro Heiskanen 3rd overall 2017 Draft (signed ELC)

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
I watched the game yesterday. There were only two plays the entire game that I thought he misplayed. In the 2nd period he was leading the charge on the PP and made one too many moves at the blue line and caused his guy to go offside, kinda killing any momentum the team had. Then in the 3rd he got beat on the boards by his guy, but it didn't lead to a dangerous play.

His pokechecking ability and positioning defending are excellent, and he took the body when it was necessary. Offensively, I was a little disappointed, not really because of MH, but because their system seems to hamper any creativity from the d. Also, on the PP, his teammates failed to get him the puck a number of times when he was the right person to pass to. Especially since he seemed to be the most creative player on the team with a little bit of space when he actually did have the puck.

To top it off, that shootout goal was a snipe. The goalie didn't even know where the puck went.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I watched the game yesterday. There were only two plays the entire game that I thought he misplayed. In the 2nd period he was leading the charge on the PP and made one too many moves at the blue line and caused his guy to go offside, kinda killing any momentum the team had. Then in the 3rd he got beat on the boards by his guy, but it didn't lead to a dangerous play.

His pokechecking ability and positioning defending are excellent, and he took the body when it was necessary. Offensively, I was a little disappointed, not really because of MH, but because their system seems to hamper any creativity from the d. Also, on the PP, his teammates failed to get him the puck a number of times when he was the right person to pass to. Especially since he seemed to be the most creative player on the team with a little bit of space when he actually did have the puck.

To top it off, that shootout goal was a snipe. The goalie didn't even know where the puck went.

I was totally confused when i saw HIFK's lineup in Brynas game when Heiskanen was paired 3rd pair with Teemu Laakso.
And i really thought what the **** coach Selin is doing when 3rd overall drafted Stars top prospect gets only 3rd pair role in HIFK.

I understand that then if Heiskanen would be a rookie but he's not rookie anymore.
If playing 3rd pair with injury prone Teemu Laakso is that role what HIFK will give for Heiskanen if he not make NHL team then it's better Heiskanen goes to AHL with Hintz.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If he's not playing in Traverse, the concern is greater than just stitches. At the very least, he must have had some concussion symptoms. Not saying it's anything serious. Highly doubt it is considering they will still have him at camp, but they're probably just being overly cautious.

I personally don't want to see him in Dallas just yet. I think this year could be huge for his confidence. He has an opportunity to establish himself as a top player in Finland, dominate at WJC, and potentially join and maybe even make an impact on the Finnish Olympic team.

Unless Heiskanen is among the Top 4 best D in camp, I'd rather just see him get the benefit of developing at home and get into some potentially significant international experience.

Things rarely go smoothly, but if they did, you'd have him walking into a pretty good situation to step right into the NHL next season. Hopefully, that would give Johns a chance to take a step in the right direction and Honka to establish himself after a full season in the NHL.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If he's not playing in Traverse, the concern is greater than just stitches. At the very least, he must have had some concussion symptoms. Not saying it's anything serious. Highly doubt it is considering they will still have him at camp, but they're probably just being overly cautious.

I personally don't want to see him in Dallas just yet. I think this year could be huge for his confidence. He has an opportunity to establish himself as a top player in Finland, dominate at WJC, and potentially join and maybe even make an impact on the Finnish Olympic team.

Unless Heiskanen is among the Top 4 best D in camp, I'd rather just see him get the benefit of developing at home and get into some potentially significant international experience.

Things rarely go smoothly, but if they did, you'd have him walking into a pretty good situation to step right into the NHL next season. Hopefully, that would give Johns a chance to take a step in the right direction and Honka to establish himself after a full season in the NHL.

Miro's chances to make Finland's Olympic team are very slim.
Finland's head coach Lauri Marjamaki has confirmed Finland has only two evaluation camp tournaments ( Finland's EHT and Russia's EHT tournaments) before Olympic games.

So if Miro wants to Olympic team he needs to make at least Finland's EHT tournament and he must make impact there.
Because Finland's world junior training camp starts in USA 13th December so Miro won't be Finland's team in Russia's EHT tournament.

Also world juniors end a month before Olympic games so there's no sense to bring 18 yrs old kid that early in men's national team.
Because if Miro returns to HIFK's team immediately after world junior without any rest he can be really tired in Olympic games.

So if / when Miro Heiskanen plays Finland's men's national team this season it'll happen in IIHF world championships in Denmark next May not earlier.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Miro's chances to make Finland's Olympic team are very slim.
Finland's head coach Lauri Marjamaki has confirmed Finland has only two evaluation camp tournaments ( Finland's EHT and Russia's EHT tournaments) before Olympic games.

So if Miro wants to Olympic team he needs to make at least Finland's EHT tournament and he must make impact there.
Because Finland's world junior training camp starts in USA 13th December so Miro won't be Finland's team in Russia's EHT tournament.

Also world juniors end a month before Olympic games so there's no sense to bring 18 yrs old kid that early in men's national team.
Because if Miro returns to HIFK's team immediately after world junior without any rest he can be really tired in Olympic games.

So if / when Miro Heiskanen plays Finland's men's national team this season it'll happen in IIHF world championships in Denmark next May not earlier.

And you know this from which source?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Great. Heiskanen starts off his Dallas Stars career with a concussion. :help:

I just hope this isn't a recurring problem...as these often are.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Roman Josi has had like 20 concussions, Heiskanen will be fine

I sure hope you're right. For reasons not known to me, sometimes a concussion makes an athlete more apt to get concussions very easily...Lindros for instance.

Hopefully this is a one time thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad