Player Discussion Miro Heiskanen 3rd overall 2017 Draft (signed ELC)

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I am getting more and more excited about Heiskanen. I liked this pick. Smart play by Nill.

It seems like he's growing. I used to see him listed at 5'11, and now I'm seeing 6'1. Perhaps he can be a #1. Can't wait to see him in the preseason!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
"You must be at least this tall to be a #1 defenseman"

To be a true #1 Dman (not just an offensive backend dynamo)...for the most part, yes. VERY few exceptions. Don't be silly. Name me a 5'9 #1 D in the modern NHL...

You have to have the ability to defend both with the stick and positioning, as well as with the body and strength...and REACH...and that takes some amount of size.

I'm sure you'll wanna nitpick what I just said, but unless you can name me a multitude of sub-6' D that are #1 D's, then just save your breathe. Size matters.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, as Misty pointed out around the draft, Nill likes big people. Watch the introduction of Hanzel and Methot, and he specifically says it again. Said not absolutely imperative, but nice to have. Probably a miracle he drafted Miro, knowing he will need to grow quite a bit to withstand the rigors of the NHL.

In general, agree the prototype stud D must be fairly big, fast, and good skills, but can throw the bod when necessary. A recent prototype was Chris Pronger, at 6-6, 220.

Of the current top D, Shea Weber is biggest top D, at, 6-4, 230.

Keith, 6-1,192 Erik Karlsson, 6-0, 190, Doughty 6-0, 195, PK Subban 6-0, 210, etc.

So, in today's NHL, maybe the size of the true No. 1 D is coming down a bit. That said, has anyone said what they think Miro projects to weight wise? Can't top 190, looking at his build, IMHO, so he may be a bit more like Klinger and Honka than Subban and Weber. Probably will pair him with bigger guys.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
look at the past few norris winners and tell me how many are taller than 6'1

not very many

height doesnt ****ing matter

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Wow you are so wrong, SMDH. I high fived a bunch of strangers because he grew 1 inch and is now a Big Hockey Boy.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
To be a true #1 Dman (not just an offensive backend dynamo)...for the most part, yes. VERY few exceptions. Don't be silly. Name me a 5'9 #1 D in the modern NHL...

You have to have the ability to defend both with the stick and positioning, as well as with the body and strength...and REACH...and that takes some amount of size.

I'm sure you'll wanna nitpick what I just said, but unless you can name me a multitude of sub-6' D that are #1 D's, then just save your breathe. Size matters.

Since 1985, here's the amount of defensemen who have won the Norris and are taller than 6'1: three (Pronger, Blake, and Chara). Same number of blind mice. Same number of stooges. The old boy's club love their campfire stories.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

The first name that came in to mind was Kimmo Timonen. Didn't follow NHL that closely back then but I think he was considered as one. The man wasn't taller than 5"10 but had more strength than most guys lot taller than him.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
look at the past few norris winners and tell me how many are taller than 6'1

not very many

height doesnt ****ing matter

But, there are many who lament the best D trophy always goes to an offensive defenseman, no? I believe some have proposed a separate trophy for the guy who actually plays best defense. If you have that for forwards, why not for D?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Of the top NHL defenders (that I can think of, at least), only three are taller than 6'1". Hedman, Burns, and Byfuglien. Handful of high end defenders are 6'2", but overall, they're not much bigger than that.

What I learned from that quick exercise: size means nothing.

If he were 5'8" or 5'9", then maybe I could see someone raising a valid issue. But he's not. So there is no size issue.

defensorfidei

Jun 4, 2014
The first name that came in to mind was Kimmo Timonen. Didn't follow NHL that closely back then but I think he was considered as one. The man wasn't taller than 5"10 but had more strength than most guys lot taller than him.

Its kinda funny you bring up Timonen but hes actually the guy that ive been looking at as a comparison for Miro since before the draft. Not the largest, not pure elite talent, but he was a smart, economic Finnish LD that put up a very very respectable 16 year career. If we can get a player like Timonen out of Miro i will be very ****ing happy, if hes better than that ill be over the moon.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

Did I ever say you needed to be 6'6?...you are arguing with yourself.

How is this any different than talking about guys who are 6'6? You chose an extreme to make your point in the exact same way.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I straight up dont understand the point of this reply...

The point is that it is a childish argument...and he's still arguing with himself...and he's making some very good points!....to himself lol.

...a "nothing fight", as Dane Cook would say. Haha

No matter what you post. Even if it is REALLY POSITIVE about a player we all like...someone is gonna pick a fight with you over it on here. LOL.

"I love the Stars!"

Reply:

"That's not what you said last week! Seems like you only love them when it suits you! Do you REALLY love the Stars, or do you love the idea of the Stars?"

Last edited:

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
Just off the top of my head, the big name guys I can think of,
Karlsson- 5'11
Stalman- 5'11
Campbell 5'10
Spurgeon 5'9

Not bad. There are tons of good 6'0 guys too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad