Player Discussion Miro Heiskanen 3rd overall 2017 Draft (signed ELC)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So much Finnish spirit in his interviews. Like an iceman. Not even a slightest traces of showing true emotions :D Must have been pretty nervous day for 17yo.

He said he was nervous, and when you try to speak english when you're nervous it won't be pretty :laugh:

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
Is there any more news about whether he will spend another year in Liiga, or is he going to the AHL?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Is there any more news about whether he will spend another year in Liiga, or is he going to the AHL?

Hard to say for sure right now.
I think that where Heiskanen plays upcoming season ( 2017-2018) will be clear after Stars training camp.
Of course Heiskanen can play 9 NHL games and return to HIFK after that.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hard to say for sure right now.
I think that where Heiskanen plays upcoming season ( 2017-2018) will be clear after Stars training camp.
Of course Heiskanen can play 9 NHL games and return to HIFK after that.

Vesalainen/Ikonen atleast are not going to be at their teams pre season camps, they get to focus 100% on starting their seasons which start mid pre season.

I would like to get a answer to Heiskanens situation during this dev.camp so he can have the same focus as well.
These European kids already have to travel so much during the draft offseason.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Am I missing something here? Why burn a year of his ELC if there are no plans to bring him to North America this year?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Am I missing something here? Why burn a year of his ELC if there are no plans to bring him to North America this year?

It's not going to burn a year.
It burns a year after 10 NHL games, or if he stays in Finland for 3 more years the 3rd year would burn a year of his ELC.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

Do you slide on all your nights like this?
Do you try on all your nights like this? (I might)
Put some spotlight on the slide
Whatever comes, comes through clear
Do you slide on all your nights like this?
Do you try on all your nights like this? (I might)
Put some spotlight on the side
And whatever comes, comes through clear

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Miro Heiskanen according to Cap Friendly did not get a max contract, and he has a European Assignment clause in 17/18 only.

Miro gets max salary and signing bonus which totals $925K, but he gets $2.5M in potential bonuses. The max is $2.85. That's common. Usually only the #1 overall gets a max deal, and the rest of the top 10 gradually step down from that.

Cap Friendly doesn't define the bonuses, at least at don't see that they did, but 99% of the time a player will get max A Bonus and the B bonus is reduced. That would mean $850K in A bonuses, and the remaining $1.65M is a B bonus. B bonuses are rarely earned. You get them for things like winning a Conn Smythe or one of the major yearly awards. A bonuses are much more common to earn. Nuke actually earned some of his based on +/- one year.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The other B bonus I forgot was getting in the Top 10 of goal, assists, points, and maybe even PPG ... not positive about that one.

I can't find the list of A bonuses, but for D, there's a minimum threshold for goals, assists, points, points per games. I think there are more individual, but I can't remember them. As far as team numbers, you can be ranked highly in plus/minus or time on ice can earn you an A bonus.

A bonus are typically paid per bonus at a price no higher than $212,500 per bonus, and you can't earn more than $850K. So ... even if you reach the minimum threshold on 6 bonus, you only get paid $850K. If you only earn 1, 2, or 3, you get paid $212,500, $425K, or $637,500.

B bonus is paid once per year. If you hit one bonus, you get the entire bonus. If you hit multiple, you still only get the single payment. You have to be among the best players in all of the league though to hit theses categories which is why it's pretty uncommon for rookies to hit them ... not unheard of though. Clearly, a guy like McDavid just hit every single bonus. I know Panarin did it recently. Tavares hit his a while back when he won the Conn Smythe.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I couldn't find the full info online for some reason, but I finally found it in one of my posts from like 2010 ....

Individual â€ÂœAâ€Â Bonuses

Per Exhibit 5 (1), â€ÂœThe maximum amount payable for any single category of Individual â€ÂœAâ€Â Bonuses identified below is $212,500 per season. (For example, an Entry Level SPC may not contain bonuses of $212,500 for 20 goals and an additional $212,500 for 30 goals, provided, however, it may contain a bonus of $100,000 for 20 goals and $112,500 for 30 goals). An Entry Level SPC may contain any number of Individual â€ÂœAâ€Â Bonuses; however, a Player may not receive more than $850,000 in total aggregate Individual â€ÂœAâ€Â Bonuses per season. Individual â€ÂœAâ€Â Bonuses are payable by the Clubs as opposed to the League).â€ÂÂ

(a) Forwards

(i) Ice time (aggregate and/or per Game). Player must be among top six (6) forwards on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group). (Note: an Entry Level SPC may contain bonuses for both aggregate and per Game ice time; however, the maximum aggregate amount the Player may receive on account of the ice time category is $212,500.)
(ii) Goals: 20 Goal Minimum
(iii) Assists: 35 Assist Minimum
(iv) Points: 60 Point Minimum
(v) Points Per Game: .73 Points per Game Minimum (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played)
(vi) Plus-Minus Rating: Among top three (3) forwards on the Club (Minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by player and comparison group).
(vii) End-of-Season NHL All-Rookie Team
(viii) NHL All-Star Game (selected to play or plays)
(ix) NHL All-Star Game MVP

(b) Defensemen

Categories are the same with the addition of blocked shots (top 2 on Club). The thresholds vary for blueliner categories:

(i) top 4 defensemen for ice time
(ii) 10 Goal Minimum
(iii) 25 Assist Minimum
(iv) 40 Point Minimum
(v) .49 PPG
(vi) Top 3 +/- among defensemen

(c) Goaltenders

(i) Minutes Played: 1,800 minutes minimum
(ii) GAA: GAA =< median GAA of all goaltenders (25 game minimum, 30 minute minimum)
(iii) Save %: Save % >= media save % of all goaltenders (25 game minimum, 30 minute minimum)
(iv) Wins: 20
(v) Shutouts: Shutouts >= median number of shutouts of all goaltenders
(vi â€Â“ viii) End-of-Season NHL All-Rookie Team, NHL All-Star Game (selected to play or plays), NHL All-Star Game MVP

Individual â€ÂœBâ€Â Bonuses

Exhibit 5(2): â€ÂœA Player and Club may also negotiate individual bonuses payable by the Club for the League-wide Awards/trophy Bonuses and League Performance Bonuses set forth below, except where specifically stated otherwise, in amount to be individually negotiated between a Club and a player (the Club and Player could agree to pay more, or less than the amounts payable by the League, set forth below). The maximum aggregate amount that a Club can pay a Player (in addition to any amounts paid by the League to such Player) on behalf of a Playerâ€Â™s Individual â€ÂœBâ€Â Bonuses is $2 million per season. There is no limit on the quantity (as opposed to the dollar amount) of League-wide Awards/Trophies and League Performance Bonuses a Player may receive from the Club.â€ÂÂ

Here are the categories eligible for Individual â€ÂœBâ€Â Bonuses

Top 5 Award Finish: Hart Trophy, Rocket Richard Trophy, Norris Trophy, Vezina Trophy and Frank J. Selke Trophy.

Award Winner: William Jennings Trophy and Conn Smythe Trophy

End of Year All-Star: 1st Team or 2nd Team

Forwards:
Top 10 Goals, Assists, Points, PPG (min 42 GP)

Defensemen:
Top 10 Goals, Assists, Points, PPG (min 42 GP) and Ice time among defensemen (aggregate and/or per game)

Goaltenders
Top 5 GAA, SVP, Wins

All the information provided can be located here. This article will show you an actual copy of Evgeni Malkin's contract and use it as an example as the rules of an ELC are explained.

That link is still active, but it looks like the photos of the actual contract are gone. That sucks ... that was really interesting to actually get to see.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The other B bonus I forgot was getting in the Top 10 of goal, assists, points, and maybe even PPG ... not positive about that one.

I can't find the list of A bonuses, but for D, there's a minimum threshold for goals, assists, points, points per games. I think there are more individual, but I can't remember them. As far as team numbers, you can be ranked highly in plus/minus or time on ice can earn you an A bonus.

A bonus are typically paid per bonus at a price no higher than $212,500 per bonus, and you can't earn more than $850K. So ... even if you reach the minimum threshold on 6 bonus, you only get paid $850K. If you only earn 1, 2, or 3, you get paid $212,500, $425K, or $637,500.

B bonus is paid once per year. If you hit one bonus, you get the entire bonus. If you hit multiple, you still only get the single payment. You have to be among the best players in all of the league though to hit theses categories which is why it's pretty uncommon for rookies to hit them ... not unheard of though. Clearly, a guy like McDavid just hit every single bonus. I know Panarin did it recently. Tavares hit his a while back when he won the Conn Smythe.

Matthews, Laine maxed out their A+B last year, Eichel missed his B for Points per Game because Draisaitl went past him in the last game and bumped him out from top 10 forwards in the category.

If your guy hits his bonuses, he's awfully good and totally worth it, and you have cause for celebration for landing on such a great player. He's not robbing the team, the team is robbing him by having him on an ELC with the less than 1M base salary.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
"I want to see him in camp. He's a very young player still. Sometimes you can get ahead of yourself in this game. He is still only 17-years-old," Nill said. "My preference is if he isn't making the Dallas Stars he is probably going to go back to Finland for one more year. That's the best thing for him. Let's just see where he's at. I don't want to make any promises either way. He understands that. We've had a good talk with his representatives and him. He knows where we stand. In the end, a player's play will dictate where he ends up. He's either going to be here in Dallas or what I think is probably back in Finland."
https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/miro-heiskanen-excited-about-first-nhl-contract/c-290334252

Heiskanen, long-term, obviously probably projects as a LD in Dallas, but should he make the team next season, it's likely as a RD, the position he's most recently played in Finland. I don't think it's likely, but if he pushes someone out of the lineup, the obvious candidate is Stephen Johns or Julius Honka.

Honka would be the more Nill-type move, and it would be sad, sending him down because he didn't require waivers. Still, it's not like John's play last season earned him a an automatic spot. I think it's highly unlikely, but if Heiskanen pushed Johns to #7 and Dallas traded Pateryn, Oleksiak, and Nemeth ... I'd be OK with that. Like I said ... I just don't think it would happen ... would be a pleasant surprise.

Methot-Klingberg
Hamhuis-Honka
Lindell-Heiskanen
Johns

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/miro-heiskanen-excited-about-first-nhl-contract/c-290334252

Heiskanen, long-term, obviously probably projects as a LD in Dallas, but should he make the team next season, it's likely as a RD, the position he's most recently played in Finland. I don't think it's likely, but if he pushes someone out of the lineup, the obvious candidate is Stephen Johns or Julius Honka.

Honka would be the more Nill-type move, and it would be sad, sending him down because he didn't require waivers. Still, it's not like John's play last season earned him a an automatic spot. I think it's highly unlikely, but if Heiskanen pushed Johns to #7 and Dallas traded Pateryn, Oleksiak, and Nemeth ... I'd be OK with that. Like I said ... I just don't think it would happen ... would be a pleasant surprise.

Methot-Klingberg
Hamhuis-Honka
Lindell-Heiskanen
Johns

Not really a Johns fan so I approve this message.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
johns is definitely at risk of being over taken by someone and heiskanen is a good choice. Really any Johns hype seems to be generated because he is large and a right shot.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
johns is definitely at risk of being over taken by someone and heiskanen is a good choice. Really any Johns hype seems to be generated because he is large and a right shot.

He played really well down the stretch in 2015-2016, but that could be attributed to a number of things. Adrenaline, playing on the most stacked defense we've had in a long time, the whole team performing well, and so on.

Beyond that, I agree. Hasn't impressed me all that much.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He played really well down the stretch in 2015-2016, but that could be attributed to a number of things. Adrenaline, playing on the most stacked defense we've had in a long time, the whole team performing well, and so on.

Johns also suffered from Ruff-Patrick Syndrome. Symptoms include decline in the quality of play, increased fan irritability, and sudden occurrences of the Darkness Music. Intense research has concluded Ruff-Patrick Syndrome is caused by extended exposure to the input of Lindy Ruff and James Patrick.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015

Perhaps it was just your expectations that went up? To me he's been the same guy who had the cup of coffee in '15-16 and barely got used in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00