Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Play Chytil 2/3 of the games in HFD until end of January at least. Not more than 2/3. It should be a fireable offense to release him to the WJC. Then call up up with say 15-20 games to go in the NHL, if he seems like he is ready for it.

Anze Kopitar II?

Let him go to the WJC. That's a great experience for any player and some only get to go once. After that, keep him in the AHL. Don't burn a year off his ELC unless he puts us over the top and makes us a contender (Which he doesn't).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Weird. For some reason, the AHL website didn't show me Tambo when I went to the WP roster and sorted by shots. I didn't even think twive about it.

Between Tambellini and Lettieri I'd say Lettieri is closer but Tambellini looked much better this year in training camp as in much more involved and I think his shot totals are kind of indicative of that improvement.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Started to see a replay of the Utica game, think I only will have time to watch the first 30, but some very brief notes.

My take is that Neal Pionk is playing really good hockey for HFD. He rarely get into any trouble defensively, he moves the puck really well and is just very solid. I definitely think he is the best prospect down there disregarding Chytil who isn’t really compareable as a fresh 18 y/o with tons of potential and TDA who didn’t play (although I am probably leaning towards Pionk there).

A bit typical of Pionk is that he went after a Utica player (Joseph Labata) who dropped a Whitney, and this guy LeBata is 6’5 and Pionk is 5’11 and Pionk first holds his own for a series of punches and then drops him.

Just saying, I’ve been wrong before and will be wrong again, but I think Pionk basically is ready and should be up sooner rather than later. It would really hurt if Pionk didn’t become a player because I wouldn’t only be wrong I would be very very wrong lol because I really like him.

Pts no big issue for me because he is on the second PP unit behind Gilmour-Sproul on the first, and he create a fair amount of offense. My biggest concern is RD logjam. If Pionk got a shot — I think he would take it. Will he get a shot?

Filips Chytil mostly plays good, then makes a great play here and there, and he is pretty clutch. My point is just, he isn’t dominating down there and making it impossible for us to keep him down. Compared to say how good Anisimov was in the AHL before he was called up Chytil isn’t there yet.

OTOH, he is helluva impressive for a young 18 y/o.

Ryan Graves is doing a good job pushing things down there. I am really hoping that he kind of will be like Sauer and just gets into the NHL. With Sauer we all liked him. And we liked him, and then we started to question him since he never get a shot and when it did it was brief, and we basically gave up on him and all of a sudden there was injuries and he wasn’t even close to ending up outside the lineup again before he was hurt. Look Graves can play in the NHL. 6’5. Shoots extremely hard. Physical. He has really pushed his skating. Give the kid a shot.

Don’t underrate John Gimour’s play in HFD. The kid is doing an OK job away from Gernander. Top PP unit. 7 pts in 13 games. Makes a lot of good plays with the puck. Skilled defender. He isn’t knocking on the door, but given how the NHL game looks right now people will like how he plays. Smart and with speed. Gilmour may have issues here and there — but he can play a very fast game.

I like Vinni Lettieri. We sometimes discuss sample size when watching kids. I think you can pin a lot of things down with a small sample. Vinni L is a kid who I would get wrong if I saw him for just a period here and there or whatever. His motor is a bit subpar to be honest. He can move with speed, but he isnt a very efficient skater. Loses speed on the ice and isn’t able to push and pursuit the play well with his skating. But the kid is just very focused and determined on the ice. He plays to get things done with complete desperation.

This kid will be in our system for a few years guaranteed, and it will be interesting to follow him. Can we do something about his skating? We really helped guys like Ortmeyer and Dubinsky with their skating. Callahan was not a very good player in 06’. In all honesty, he only got those shots in 06/07 because of poor competition. But then he started to pick it up in his mid 20s. Lett hasn’t been in our system for long. He might knock on the door as is, but it’s a long shot. But I think it’s about time we get one of these guys that can surprise and keep improving a little longer than expected. Would love to see Lettieri be one of them.

Tambellini is a good player, one of the better forwards in HFD, but he is one I would like to see traded/upgraded. Don’t make guys around him better, don’t have much speed. Plays decent hockey and put the puck on the net when he can. Awesome shot.

But HFD plays a fairly good transition game — but they aren’t good at getting a hold of the puck and keeping it up ice. All the while Ds are pretty strong and heavy in the AHL. Hence HFD lose to many pucks too fast up ice. They don’t make enough of their attacks. I think some of the vets/scrubs actually are pretty fine. Good team players. But I rather see a more complete top center than Tambs to enable that team to play the “right” way.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Started to see a replay of the Utica game, think I only will have time to watch the first 30, but some very brief notes.

My take is that Neal Pionk is playing really good hockey for HFD. He rarely get into any trouble defensively, he moves the puck really well and is just very solid. I definitely think he is the best prospect down there disregarding Chytil who isn’t really compareable as a fresh 18 y/o with tons of potential and TDA who didn’t play (although I am probably leaning towards Pionk there).

A bit typical of Pionk is that he went after a Utica player (Joseph Labata) who dropped a Whitney, and this guy LeBata is 6’5 and Pionk is 5’11 and Pionk first holds his own for a series of punches and then drops him.

Just saying, I’ve been wrong before and will be wrong again, but I think Pionk basically is ready and should be up sooner rather than later. It would really hurt if Pionk didn’t become a player because I wouldn’t only be wrong I would be very very wrong lol because I really like him.

Pts no big issue for me because he is on the second PP unit behind Gilmour-Sproul on the first, and he create a fair amount of offense. My biggest concern is RD logjam. If Pionk got a shot — I think he would take it. Will he get a shot?

Filips Chytil mostly plays good, then makes a great play here and there, and he is pretty clutch. My point is just, he isn’t dominating down there and making it impossible for us to keep him down. Compared to say how good Anisimov was in the AHL before he was called up Chytil isn’t there yet.

Ryan Graves is doing a good job pushing things down there. I am really hoping that he kind of will be like Sauer and just gets into the NHL. With Sauer we all liked him. And we liked him, and then we started to question him since he never get a shot and when it did it was brief, and we basically gave up on him and all of a sudden there was injuries and he wasn’t even close to ending up outside the lineup again before he was hurt. Look Graves can play in the NHL. 6’5. Shoots extremely hard. Physical. He has really pushed his skating. Give the kid a shot.

Don’t underrate John Gimour’s play in HFD. The kid is doing an OK job away from Gernander. Top PP unit. 7 pts in 13 games. Makes a lot of good plays with the puck. Skilled defender. He isn’t knocking on the door, but given how the NHL game looks right now people will like how he plays. Smart and with speed. Gilmour may have issues here and there — but he can play a very fast game.

I like Vinni Lettieri. We sometimes discuss sample size when watching kids. I think you can pin a lot of things down with a small sample. Vinni L is a kid who I would get wrong if I saw him for just a period here and there or whatever. His motor is a bit subpar to be honest. He can move with speed, but he isnt a very efficient skater. Loses speed on the ice and isn’t able to push and pursuit the play well with his skating. But the kid is just very focused and determined on the ice. He plays to get things done with complete desperation.

This kid will be in our system for a few years guaranteed, and it will be interesting to follow him. Can we do something about his skating? We really helped guys like Ortmeyer and Dubinsky with their skating. Callahan was not a very good player in 06’. In all honesty, he only got those shots in 06/07 because of poor competition. But then he started to pick it up in his mid 20s. Lett hasn’t been in our system for long. He might knock on the door as is, but it’s a long shot. But I think it’s about time we get one of these guys that can surprise and keep improving a little longer than expected. Would love to see Lettieri be one of them.

Tambellini is a good player, one of the better forwards in HFD, but he is one I would like to see traded/upgraded. Don’t make guys around him better, don’t have much speed. Plays decent hockey and put the puck on the net when he can. Awesome shot.

But HFD plays a fairly good transition game — but they aren’t good at getting a hold of the puck and keeping it up ice. All the while Ds are pretty strong and heavy in the AHL. Hence HFD lose to many pucks too fast up ice. They don’t make enough of their attacks. I think some of the vets/scrubs actually are pretty fine. Good team players. But I rather see a more complete top center than Tambs to enable that team to play the “right” way.

From watching it on Hockey Fights Pionk did a good job on Labate avoiding getting hit with a good punch and then kind of tackled him. There was no way he was going to beat that guy--0 reach and a lot smaller and Labate fights quite often. Nice of Pionk to be sticking up for his teammate though. I like seeing that in players--that they stick up for their teammates--won't be pushed around.

Really like him, Chytil, Graves, DeAngelo and Lettieri. I think these are guys that could legitimately fill in if not fit in with the Rangers.

Gilmour's numbers have improved. He had a god awful +/- last year--the worst in the league. He doesn't seem to be the defensive liability this year.

Still wondering about our goaltending there. It hasn't necessarily been bad--just wondering whether one of Nell or Georgiev might be NHL backup material one day.

Reactions: Ola and Ranger Ric

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Play Chytil 2/3 of the games in HFD until end of January at least. Not more than 2/3. It should be a fireable offense to release him to the WJC. Then call up up with say 15-20 games to go in the NHL, if he seems like he is ready for it.

Anze Kopitar II?

Bringing Chytil up for 15 - 20 games at the end of the year is a really bad idea unless the Rangers are serious contenders. You burn a year of his ELC (and therefore cost control) for no real benefit. Much better IMO to let him go to WJC and then develop in the AHL for the rest of this season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Bringing Chytil up for 15 - 20 games at the end of the year is a really bad idea unless the Rangers are serious contenders. You burn a year of his ELC (and therefore cost control) for no real benefit. Much better IMO to let him go to WJC and then develop in the AHL for the rest of this season.

Hear hear! Asset management.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Greenville continues to give no shits about defense, this time allowing four goals in the third to lose 7-6. They allowed 45 SOG.

On a positive note, Leedahl had 1+1 and now has 15 points in 15 games. If Chapie does nothing for Hartford you would think Leedahl is next (unless Hartford owns McPherson, which I'm not sure about).

Reactions: Osminator and Ola

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Greenville continues to give no ****s about defense, this time allowing four goals in the third to lose 7-6. They allowed 45 SOG.

On a positive note, Leedahl had 1+1 and now has 15 points in 15 games. If Chapie does nothing for Hartford you would think Leedahl is next (unless Hartford owns McPherson, which I'm not sure about).
It's surprising too because their head coach is a former goalie. You'd think former goalies would coach good defensive teams, but the few that I can think of off the top of my head all had awful defensive systems.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Greenville continues to give no ****s about defense, this time allowing four goals in the third to lose 7-6. They allowed 45 SOG.

The Greatest Show On Ice.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Ola: Your analysis is similar to the analysis I made after the game I saw except Gilmour and Chytil didn't play. Really like Pionk and Graves and Lettieri looks like he can be a bottom six player. Not that high on Tambellini. Your phrase "doesn't make the guys around him better" is a good way to put it.

I was wondering if you had an impression on Gropp? I think there may be a player there but he needs a good center and has been playing with Stephen Fogarty who has exactly zero assists this year. I am interested to see if his results pick up as the year progresses.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Does anyone have clips of Chytil's goals or any highlights from the game?

I haven't found any, I got access to the game through theahl.com but I don't have any software to extract highlights and put them on youtube. Does anyone have any tips for what software to use and I could easily post them?

Anyway, on the first goal he is going to the net and redirects a hard pass past the goalie. On the second Vinni L gets a puck infront of the net and instead of shooting feeds Chytil on the far post who can bank it in. No highlight stuff.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ranger Ric- I didn't really get a hold of Gropp during the game. He didn't play a ton, and I only noticed him a few times.

Fogarthy does some good things on the ice in the AHL that would be good plays in the NHL too, no doubt. But the distance from where he is overall and the NHL does seem to be very far...

Gilmour's numbers have improved. He had a god awful +/- last year--the worst in the league. He doesn't seem to be the defensive liability this year.

Yeah, I think he is the type who lives on being consistent and doing things with a lot of quality on a shift by shift basis -- and when that type don't get the job done, you get the worst potential result lol... He does have some hockey in him, nice to see him rebounding a bit. The one thing he does have is the ability to really execute plays fast and play a part of a play driving up the tempo/pace. Collect a pass in his skate or whatever, keep building up speed, moving the puck again in a good way. Those type of things.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What? I definitely think he should be released to the WJC, that's a great experience for any young player.

Why? The Czech won’t be good there. Chytil will join the team very very late, most others will have been together for a while and he will basically come in on the night before. For months he has been pushed to “not” take shortcuts and play junior hockey. There it’s the opposite and he will benefit from cheating a bit.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
you absolutely play in the WJC if you are chytil nothing is more important other than playing in the NHL.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Why? The Czech won’t be good there. Chytil will join the team very very late, most others will have been together for a while and he will basically come in on the night before. For months he has been pushed to “not” take shortcuts and play junior hockey. There it’s the opposite and he will benefit from cheating a bit.

He should be head and shoulders above most there, so it will be ok if he joins late.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Georgiev had the best GAA in Finland last year and 5th SV%. One of the most dominant players in Finland last year according to reports. In both GAA and SV%, he's 11th out of 16 AHL goalies who played 10+ games.

That shows the gap between Liiga and the AHL: dominant in one, below average in the other. What's more, Georgiev is a year older at a very young age, so he's probably better now than last year. Something to consider when looking at Reunanen. Sure, different player, different team, different position, Georgiev alone doesn't prove anything. But Liiga doesn't seem to be a great league based on players (not just Georgiev) who transfer from Finland to the AHL, KHL, SHL, much less the NHL.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Georgiev had the best GAA in Finland last year and 5th SV%. One of the most dominant players in Finland last year according to reports. In both GAA and SV%, he's 11th out of 16 AHL goalies who played 10+ games.

That shows the gap between Liiga and the AHL: dominant in one, below average in the other. What's more, Georgiev is a year older at a very young age, so he's probably better now than last year. Something to consider when looking at Reunanen. Sure, different player, different team, different position. But Liiga doesn't seem to be a great league based on players (not just Georgiev) who transfer from Finland to the AHL, KHL, SHL, much less the NHL.

I agree in principle with what you are saying, however goalies are a bit harder to judge as quality of the team in front of them has a lot to do with it.

Again, not disagreeing with the difference in quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad