Jun 20, 2009
Not going to post in the chytil thread cause it's bad juju

chytil first 9 games
25 shots, 11 points, 5 goals, 5 games with a point
best offensive producer on the team

pastrnak first 9 games
27 shots, 10 points, 3 goals, 5 games with a point
best offensive producer on the team

wanted to update this after the back to back games with chytil being pointless.. turns out pastrnak also went pointless in his next 2

don't take too much into this as pastrnak got to 11 games on Nov 8
also another added caution is that pastrnak was weak and lacked strength while producing these #s. He improved a ton in this department after his 2nd season in the NHL, I don't think chytil has strength issues

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
WP lose 4-2, but Chytil and Lettieri both got an assist and had 2 SOG each, so I don't care.

Gropp had 4 SOG, so I hope he continues shooting a lot.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I thought they were sitting Chytil in the 3rd game of 3 straight. Anyway, nice to see him back on the scoresheet. Was the assist crucial to the play?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
There is zero reason for them to call Chytil up for an extended period this year

AV doesn’t trust young players once they mess up, and they would burn a year off his ELC on what will probably be a throw away year

Keep him in the AHL and let him light it up. The team will be ready for him next September

Reactions: Rangers_23

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The mistake was made initially by AV with how he used Chytil to start the season. He should've played in the top 9 all season with PP time, yet AV had enough of him after one bad game and a bad penalty early in his second match.

At this point, it makes no sense to promote him prior to the trade deadline, he's deserving of a call up, but why do it now? It would've been nice if Gorton overruled AV to begin with.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's never the GMs job to tell the coach where/how to use a player on a regular basis. That is overstepping boundaries. If GMs could do that, then all head coaches would be fired because there would be no point.

And no, before you say it, it's also irresponsible for the GM to fire the coach just for how they handle an 18 y/o who isn't 100% ready for the NHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Right. It's not the GM's job to dictate player usage. The GM, hopefully in consultation with a number of other members of the front office and the coach, assembles the roster. He then hires the coach he thinks will best utilize the assembled roster. Obviously there should be some synergy there; you'd expect the coach to more or less use the players as expected.

With an 18 year old with no professional North American experience, you really don't know what to expect. Watching Chytil through camp and the preseason slate, it looked like he might be ready. As we've seen a million times though, preseason and the regular season are different beasts. Chytil got two games with limited minutes, at times looking overwhelmed, and then the front office made the decision to send him down. That could be with heavy input from AV or it could have been because they also saw things on their own to lead them to believe that Chytil in fact needed more seasoning. I would have liked to see more from Chytil but I had no problem with him going down. Given his age and experience it was probably the right call from the start.

I certainly don't blame AV for Chytil being in Hartford. And whenever Chytil does come back up, he's not going to be handed a big role. He'll get limited minutes, he'll be scratched after bad games, he'll be benched after making egregious mistakes. That's what AV does with young players, and while we can talk cause-effect all day, his approach has seemed to work fine.

The Chytil "issue" is a non-issue to me.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Chytil would be back home in Czech Republic if getting called back up to join the Rangers wasn't part of consideration why he was sent to Hartford. There were multiple reports from the team and Chytil himself stating exactly this.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Chytil would be back home in Czech Republic if getting called back up to join the Rangers wasn't part of consideration why he was sent to Hartford. There were multiple reports from the team and Chytil himself stating exactly this.
I'm inclined to agree. Had they ruled out any possibility of him joining the team, I think they would have sent him back.

I do however think it's at least possible they had a change of heart, and said, hey, maybe what the areas the kid needs to improve upon would be best addressed in Hartford for a full year.

So, I guess maybe I don't know. LOL. I could see it either way.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Do playoff games count against the ELC sliding rule? That's really the only situation I could see him being recalled. ELC years/cost controlled assets are too important in a cap league to burn just to watch the coach misuse him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The GM and coach should not be on such totally opposite pages, which often seems to be the case between AV and Gorton, unless the perception around here of Gorton is completely different than what reality is. When you designate that a young player has made your roster, especially a prized first round pick, I would think there's an understanding that the player will get a legit shot, and not be treated like the last player on your roster. Its a big decision to start Chytil on the NHL roster to begin with, he isn't going to succeed if any one mistake finds him in the press box, and then a forced demotion because management doesn't want that player sitting. Chytil actually got less than 13 total minutes over the two games, he was effectively negated by AV. We can say "AV treats all rookies like that", and that logic isn't far off, but thats rationalizing a decision that doesn't particularly help the team.

This is a team that lacks in forward depth, so I don't know the positives that came from it, Chytil wasn't beat out for a roster spot, AV took away his place within the side because of some dinosaur initiation policy for rookies that this coach loves, with few exceptions. Its not gonna ruin Chytil, but it didn't make any sense at the time, and I don't know how it helps the team. Given Chytil's play in Hartford, one might reason it hurts the team, if Chytil was a player who could've chipped in like 40 points this season, considering we surely aren't getting that from Vesey and Desharnais has found AV's doghouse, so he's not gonna reach it either.

And also, I'm sure AV will get credit from some for his handling of Chytil once Chytil becomes a good NHL'er, but I think something that is often left out in these discussions is that most of the players who end up turning out good do so because AV is essentially forced to give them a bigger role with a new season due to the changed roster makeup, rarely does the player take to AV's treatment extremely well right away, and rises up immediately in spite of this treatment to right away curry favor with the coach.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The GM and coach should not be on such totally opposite pages, which often seems to be the case between AV and Gorton, unless the perception around here of Gorton is completely different than what reality is. When you designate that a young player has made your roster, especially a prized first round pick, I would think there's an understanding that the player will get a legit shot, and not be treated like the last player on your roster. Its a big decision to start Chytil on the NHL roster to begin with, he isn't going to succeed if any one mistake finds him in the press box, and then a forced demotion because management doesn't want that player sitting. Chytil actually got less than 13 total minutes over the two games, he was effectively negated by AV. We can say "AV treats all rookies like that", and that logic isn't far off, but thats rationalizing a decision that doesn't particularly help the team.

What if the decision was, "We like this kid, maybe he's ready, give him some sheltered minutes and we'll judge from there. After all, he can be sent down to Hartford if need be, which is where we think he probably should be anyway." I mean, that's plausible, no? Likely? I don't know. What seems unlikely is that the team would be okay with AV "misusing" rookies and young players. I think they're totally okay with what he does.

This is a team that lacks in forward depth, so I don't know the positives that came from it, Chytil wasn't beat out for a roster spot, AV took away his place within the side because of some dinosaur initiation policy for rookies that this coach loves, with few exceptions. Its not gonna ruin Chytil, but it didn't make any sense at the time, and I don't know how it helps the team. Given Chytil's play in Hartford, one might reason it hurts the team, if Chytil was a player who could've chipped in like 40 points this season, considering we surely aren't getting that from Vesey and Desharnais has found AV's doghouse, so he's not gonna reach it either.

Nothing changed with the forward depth. Chytil is still in the picture. We haven't forfeited depth by sending him to Hartford.

And also, I'm sure AV will get credit from some for his handling of Chytil once Chytil becomes a good NHL'er, but I think something that is often left out in these discussions is that most of the players who end up turning out good do so because AV is essentially forced to give them a bigger role with a new season due to the changed roster makeup, rarely does the player take to AV's treatment extremely well right away, and rises up immediately in spite of this treatment to right away curry favor with the coach.

Rarely does a young player struggling to make a transition to the NHL respond immediately to any one tactic or method. It's all a process. People didn't like the way Tortorella and then AV treated Kreider. But it was part of a process of player development and maturation. Same for Miller. Del Zotto went through it under Torts. Callahan faced it. If the expectation is that a young guy gets benched and then suddenly learns how to become an NHL player as a result, then the expectation is misguided. It can take many seasons for guys to learn how to play in the NHL and there's nothing wrong with being benched, sent to the minors, scratched, etc. I think it's part of a pretty normal and pretty healthy development process.

Guys like McDonagh that can just step in and play big minutes are exceptions. Chytil is very talented but he spent last year in one of the lesser European leagues. Transitioning to the NHL for him, the expectation should be that it would be difficult, particularly at his age. Spending time in Hartford should be good for him.

I find fault in AV for a few things, but this "mishandling" of younger players is not one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad