OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
"Due to darkness, the driver did not realize until it was too late,"

You know I don't even know how this is an excuse.

Read an article the other day about how trucking companies are mad at how hard it is for new drivers to get their licenses. Some are going through the test multiple times before passing their exam and it's leading to higher costs for shipping due to lack of drivers.

Do these guys not realize they are driving something that can cause a very serious accident with a split second error in judgement?

But no they are suppose to learn on the job and put the rest of the population in danger.

Glad that people are actually failing now. Just because you want to be something doesn't mean you should be handed it without the proper training and knowledge. Gives the good drivers a bad name.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Rex Murphy has passed on. RIP. Canada should be sad. Possibly the best commentator, current affairs writer the country has ever had.

We all lose with this mans passing whether you agreed with him often or not. the only thing that could cancel Rex, who was tireless in speaking out to the end of his days was life itself passing. A true hero. A rare breed.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Rex Murphy has passed on. RIP. Canada should be sad. Possibly the best commentator, current affairs writer the country has ever had.

We all lose with this mans passing whether you agreed with him often or not. the only thing that could cancel Rex, who was tireless in speaking out to the end of his days was life itself passing. A true hero. A rare breed.
I'm not familiar with him but may he rest in peace. Another prominent Newfoundlander passing on recently. Bob Cole being the other last week. Only radio personalities that I've followed over the years were Larry King, John Short, Howard Stern (infrequently), and various Coast to Coast Am personalities. I follow podcasts now but I still love some good radio talk if I could find some.

I was honestly going to reply "See Michael Scott has a new job"

Then you have the second clip :laugh:
Isn't @yukoner88 a semi- truck driver. First one I thought of. lol

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

That's too bad, not many like him left. Started to appreciate his hair after awhile.

RIP Rex

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Loved Rex and completely agree with your take. Always spoke common sense to the point of redundancy while the world around was going crazy. A big loss for this country and a true icon.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Rex was awesome.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
For my golf homies: golf trip to Phoenix last week and finally, after approximately 3,000 rounds, got my first hole in one!

Little 9 iron from 151, landed past the pin and sucked it back in. Never thought I'd actually get one, been close wayyyy too many times.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
For my golf homies: golf trip to Phoenix last week and finally, after approximately 3,000 rounds, got my first hole in one!

Little 9 iron from 151, landed past the pin and sucked it back in. Never thought I'd actually get one, been close wayyyy too many times.
Congrats, unfortunately I missed out on going South for golf this year.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Everything you mentioned is easy to grow. For beginners to get started try seed tape rather than seed. Sold in the same packets but the seeds are glued to this paper tape that you just spread out. You can break the tape anywhere to the exact length of your rows.

For Carrots I like Nantes as they have uniform size and grow well here.

Lettuce, do anything but head lettuce. Any leaf lettuce will do well here. Again seed tape works fine.

Green onions are criminally easy. Just plant them in containers or on edges of garden beds. I say that because you want them to have less water and not get waterlogged. Canadian Tire has packs of 100 onion sets (yellow are decent) for 3.50 right now. Take or pinch off some of the green stalks as green onions while allowing enough left to continue to grow and feed the Onion which you will harvest in August or Sept. Plant all 100 of them. You'll use them. Just take each onion set in your hand and push it in soil to plant.

Try your hand as well at Swiss Chard. Its better than Spinach or Kake. Can be used as spinach type salad or to make cooked spinach. Swiss chard is like a wonder vegetable. So good for you and it grows well here and you can still harvest this stuff in October or November. I've taken some in after its snowed. Its amazingly resilient.

Plant a row of red beets if you like them at all. Its such a good beginner crop. They grow so easily.

Potatoes, I find it easier to just plant them in big containers. Have to be dark containers so no sun gets through the tubers and you have to add soil as summer goes on to make more room for more potatoes. Plant them 6inches deep. Drill holes in the container bottom so that its well drained.

Most seeding of other stuff above is as little as 1inch deep. I do that to keep birds eating the seeds. When doing rows make them about 4 inches deep with a hoe, then after planting that row tamp it down with the hoe all along. They say row separation of 18inches.

Make sure your garden plots are well dug (I dig twice throwing compost or something in on second dig and well leveled for watering. When garden is seated do light spray of water for the 1-2week period of germination. Do not use too much water, but don't let it all get too dry either. Light spray only until plants are sprouting out.

Have fun, and enjoy some gardening and always having produce right out back.
Impressive response, Drai! I was going to,suggest that he scrap the garden, build a bunky suite to rent out, and use the money to purchase vegs or whatever.
Your response changed my mind!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Congrats! Did you buy the clubhouse a round?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I have to ask did you at least break 120? I've only witnessed one hole and one, and the guys round wasn't much outside that one shot :laugh:

I came close once in a tourney, rolled by couple inches to the right and about 8 inches past the hole. Would've been a car for a prize :(

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I have to ask did you at least break 120? I've only witnessed one hole and one, and the guys round wasn't much outside that one shot :laugh:

I came close once in a tourney, rolled by couple inches to the right and about 8 inches past the hole. Would've been a car for a prize :(
Damn, a new car would have been an unreal prize!

I'm in a hole in one group that's up to $9k but it has to be at our home course, so unfortunately no money for the ace!

Ya, I shot 71 that day. Went birdie-hole in one-par-birdie. Was a nice little stretch haha

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Damn, a new car would have been an unreal prize!

I'm in a hole in one group that's up to $9k but it has to be at our home course, so unfortunately no money for the ace!

Ya, I shot 71 that day. Went birdie-hole in one-par-birdie. Was a nice little stretch haha
Best I ever had was 86 or so. Not good when front nine was 37 :laugh:

I'd love to get into 70's, but I don't golf nearly as much as I once did. Don't even want to know what the first round of the year is going to be. Maybe if I get like a credit or two for each beer it could be a respectable number :laugh:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Impressive, well done!

I've never had an Ace myself, but my dream also includes getting an Albie. Requires TWO great shots in a row. I've come close (within a foot) a few times, but no dice.

Best I ever had was 86 or so. Not good when front nine was 37 :laugh:

I'd love to get into 70's, but I don't golf nearly as much as I once did. Don't even want to know what the first round of the year is going to be. Maybe if I get like a credit or two for each beer it could be a respectable number :laugh:
I've had 2 chances at a sub 80's round, both in the last 3-4 years. Unbelievably, both times cruising around the 16 hole with a couple shots to spare, and the skies opened up on us. Would have waited it out and continued, but each time, it lasted about 45 minutes and the course was a river. I felt like that priest on Caddyshack, wanting to continue despite the lightning and rain, lol. Not sure why that shit never happens to me when I'm having a crappy round.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bought for my group and the group in front haha. Clubhouse was mostly empty after the round so no one to buy for. I absolutely got after it that night to celebrate haha
Funny little story. I was explaining to my youngest daughter about the nuances of the hole in one in golf and the protocols that surround it, and after I explained that if she ever got a hole in one, she would have to buy the house a round, she panicked a bit, and blurted out, "well, then I'd just tell them it was a 2 and wait till I got home to tell everyone the truth!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad