Minnesota Golden Gophers

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
It's not the Final Five, it's the Frozen Four that matters! Halfway there- 2 more W's and the turnaround is complete!

Do we wish for a UMD rematch or BC?

Either way, I'm sure the weather in Tampa will be nice for the Gophs! :nod:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Gophers! (rah!)
Tell the players that the Final Five doesn't matter. Yes the National championship is what every team wants but to say the Broadmoor doesn't matter is absurd.

Congrats on the win last night. The better team won no doubt. Good luck with BC. They are loaded but if the Gophers play like they did this past weekend anything can happen.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Well, it is not the end any wanted. You get two games away and it never feels good. Looking back, regular season title, final four and young talent. Season success. :handclap:

We were just off against BC. Even if we were on we would have needed a lot of luck. BC is clicking and they are good team even when not in full stride.

Next year is not filled with imagination, the expectations are there. Build from this year.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
The waiting game.

Who leaves?

I bet every man in the D corp has to working their butts off. 6 returning starters and Reilly and Skjei coming in. Not alot of time for 8 guys. Good problem to have.

Will it be Bjugstad- Buddish- Rau again?
Haula- Buddish- Rau
Haula- Rau- Condon
Or Rau- Condon- Warning/Ambroz?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Isn't that the goal every season for the top schools?

A yearly goal for me would be the frozen four. Win hardwear in the WCHA. I would call last year success full.

This year with everyone back. I expect us to win the whole thing. We were close last year and now you top line is back, your blue line is back,

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
A yearly goal for me would be the frozen four. Win hardwear in the WCHA. I would call last year success full.

This year with everyone back. I expect us to win the whole thing. We were close last year and now you top line is back, your blue line is back,
Oh I agree but the one thing you forgot is they have an unproven goalie. That's kind of a big deal but with that said they will be the team to beat in the WCHA.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Oh I agree but the one thing you forgot is they have an unproven goalie. That's kind of a big deal but with that said they will be the team to beat in the WCHA.

Two unprovens. We did average 3.6 goals a game. No reason that number shouldn't go up.

Reading the panthers board Bjugstad may have just surpassed Huberdeau as their #1 prospect. Hubs played well but Bjugstad just took it at the prospect camp.

The top line gave the NCAA fits last year. A year older, bigger, heathier.

The second line features our top scorer. Condon came on real strong and Warning looks to turn a big corner.

3rd/4th: Boyd and Serratore played very well last year. Few points but played their role perfectly. Ambroz should have grown into his body and I see him with a very solid year/ or he is done IMO. Issackson looked good just sat when the team took off and chemistry was important. Reilly x2 both played well in he BCHL and are very mature freshmen. Conor will play more. Michalson if there was ever anyone who had something to prove he is the guy. A potential 1st early 2nd to falling off the map. Horn is almost the odd man out and i am sure he does not like that. He has the work ethic to make some noise.

On D

Schmidt was the leading PP assist man in the NCAA i think.
Helgeson is a 4th year. Good at clearing the crease.
Parenteau was solid
Alt is on the verge of really taking off. Hope fully he lets Guentzel work his magic.
Holl and Marshall have guys breathing down their necks and they know it.
Skjei is a smooth skating big boy.
Reilly in the BCHL put up simular numbers to Laleggia.

651*

Nick Bjugstad returns his junior year and a Sioux fan has to report it here. Come on guys you are slacking.:sarcasm:

Gophers fans are fairweather to an extent. I know I am. My allegiance is much more to Herb Brooks' legacy than anything since I was born less than a mile from his house and wore the same jersey, although I did play hockey with a kid from my HS/neighborhood who was one of the best defensemen in MNHS history and went on to play for the Gophs. I also played with someone who was a Husky and have a family member who captained the Huskies so my allegiance is split.

That said, the Wild news this offseason has been nothing short of crazy so we have been rambling about that for quite some time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Two unprovens. We did average 3.6 goals a game. No reason that number shouldn't go up.

Reading the panthers board Bjugstad may have just surpassed Huberdeau as their #1 prospect. Hubs played well but Bjugstad just took it at the prospect camp.

The top line gave the NCAA fits last year. A year older, bigger, heathier.

The second line features our top scorer. Condon came on real strong and Warning looks to turn a big corner.

3rd/4th: Boyd and Serratore played very well last year. Few points but played their role perfectly. Ambroz should have grown into his body and I see him with a very solid year/ or he is done IMO. Issackson looked good just sat when the team took off and chemistry was important. Reilly x2 both played well in he BCHL and are very mature freshmen. Conor will play more. Michalson if there was ever anyone who had something to prove he is the guy. A potential 1st early 2nd to falling off the map. Horn is almost the odd man out and i am sure he does not like that. He has the work ethic to make some noise.

On D

Schmidt was the leading PP assist man in the NCAA i think.
Helgeson is a 4th year. Good at clearing the crease.
Parenteau was solid
Alt is on the verge of really taking off. Hope fully he lets Guentzel work his magic.
Holl and Marshall have guys breathing down their necks and they know it.
Skjei is a smooth skating big boy.
Reilly in the BCHL put up simular numbers to Laleggia.

And of course as we all know injuries can make all good things a hell of alot more difficult. As a Sioux fan last year was a perfect example.The good thing with that is about 4 guys got more ice time than they would of otherwise which of course will help them this coming season.

Again with that said I understand your optimism. They are going to be salty.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Down goes Connor. That hurt. I was hoping he could play a solid 3rd line role.

Well it isn't like the Gophers don't have anyone else that he can step in.

BTW, looking forward to watching the team this year. Even with some ??? in goal, the Gophers are going to be very good....barring a rash of injuries of course. Gotta love the fact that Bjugstad is back in the maroon and gold this year. Can you say 'Hobey candidate'?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Should be a great year for the Gophers! Rau is a treat to watch and our defense is solid throughout, reminiscent of the early 00's corps. Shibrowski is quite good IMO and should provide some stability from the net, kid knows how to make the big saves even when he hasn't seen action for a while, something the team lacked for a while at the goaltending position. Team definitely is built as a contender, consistency out of Bjugstad this year as well should put them in pretty elite position in the NCAA.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I watched the game on TheScore on Saturday night and caught part of one that was on Sunday morning. I could seriously watch more college hockey if the NHL isn't back soon. That game was exciting as hell for me (especially since I have a soft spot for any Minnesota team).

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
I watched the game on TheScore on Saturday night and caught part of one that was on Sunday morning. I could seriously watch more college hockey if the NHL isn't back soon. That game was exciting as hell for me (especially since I have a soft spot for any Minnesota team).

I agree. A lot better than this KHL crap that's been on ESPN. I've feel asleep twice watching it. Think I'm going to get tickets to the next home game.

651*

Gophers are rated #1 in the NCAA right now? They got it right?

MTU beating them 5-2 after two periods.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Gophers are rated #1 in the NCAA right now? They got it right?

MTU beating them 5-2 after two periods.
5-3 final. Tech has a nice team and took it to the gophs. I really think they get home ice this year and have a great chance of making the big tourney. Gophs D looked lost tonight,probably because they didn't have to play any last weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->