Minnesota Golden Gophers

Lam7825

Go Goldy Go!
agreed on that Sunday game. At least they won't have anymore of those....

a sweep in AK is a must. Playoff revenge + tune up for NoDak.

Ambroz looks a little lost- and maybe frustrated with dumb penalties. Rau still impressive. Love the defense corps, except for hanging Patterson out to dry a few times. Holl seems to want to be the scoring d-man this year, Schmidt the QB, Parenteau nice quiet and steady. Alt I think is #1 guy. Love Helgeson- hittin' anything that moves. :nod:

On to Anchorage.....

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
It looks like Sam Warning is playing pretty well so far. He is a bit undersized but skates hard and a good puck handler. I picked up his game worn USHL jersey this year so I hope he continues to do well.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
Gophers land Cammarata. :yo:

I wish for once a sweep of the Sioux, but it rarely happens. Maybe this is the group that can get over the hump. They definitely need to stay out of the bin, UND can get hot at anytime. Biggest key is to play a full 60 minutes. UND can be good, but from the games I've seen and what I've read, they have yet to put together a consistent effort from start to finish.

Should be a good weekend!

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
WOW I have to say Patterson is REALLY good! Congrats on the win tonight. Our players looked like crap, especially on the powerplay. Dell kept the game close.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Caption this...

sioux1.jpg

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
WOW I have to say Patterson is REALLY good! Congrats on the win tonight. Our players looked like crap, especially on the powerplay. Dell kept the game close.
The Sioux looked slow but the goofs had alot to do with that because of their speed. Rau is unbelievable already for a rookie. Be interesting to see how long he sticks around. If it weren't for Dell this is 6-0 pounding. The goofs are for real and as of now are a championship caliber team. I am impressed.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Great sweep.

If the 4th line continues to chip in a goal her and there we are going to be deadly.

Dell made the series close.

The great thing is, we can still improve.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
The better team swept no doubt. Gophs are for real and the Sioux have a long ways to go. Patterson made some huge saves in the 3rd last night to get the win and Dell was the best player for the Sioux all weekend. Gophs could be #1 in the nation come tomorrow.

CaseyJones65

Aug 9, 2009
Northern Iowa
I'm only now starting to follow Gophers hockey closely but how could it be possible that the team had struggled in the past with all the in-state talent available? Lucia has been the coach for the last several years so not much should be different between now and then, I'd imagine. Either way, go Gophers! Hope to see a game at Mariucci arena soon!!

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I'm only now starting to follow Gophers hockey closely but how could it be possible that the team had struggled in the past with all the in-state talent available? Lucia has been the coach for the last several years so not much should be different between now and then, I'd imagine. Either way, go Gophers! Hope to see a game at Mariucci arena soon!!

Well, look up the article on Lucia's illness. It really messed him up. In turn the program sufffered. We dressed 17 skaters one series with players gone for the WJC and injuries. Now we have lots of extras an walk ons.

Guentzel is back this year.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Well, look up the article on Lucia's illness. It really messed him up. In turn the program sufffered. We dressed 17 skaters one series with players gone for the WJC and injuries. Now we have lots of extras an walk ons.

Guentzel is back this year.
Hill messed up your program. Everyone has injuries and all the elite schools lose players to the WJC. I remember when tDon couldn't make the trip to the Ralph a couple years back because he was sick and Hill took over for the weekend. His interview before the series was full of arrogance and he gave the Sioux more reason to take it to the gophs. Hard to believe he was there that long.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Hill messed up your program. Everyone has injuries and all the elite schools lose players to the WJC. I remember when tDon couldn't make the trip to the Ralph a couple years back because he was sick and Hill took over for the weekend. His interview before the series was full of arrogance and he gave the Sioux more reason to take it to the gophs. Hard to believe he was there that long.

When we lost to the WJCs it was poor planning. He was not thinking ahead. When you have no competition the team suffers. Guys like Sacchetti, White needed to sit and guys like Drew Fsher, Tom Pohl, Wehrs(freshmen) Schack played more than they should have.

This year. Issackson and Sacchetti are chomping at the bit to get it. Miller always plays hard and J. Larson has not even seen the ice yet. IMO thats why N. Larson, Serratore and Boyd and so key on the 4th line. They have people breathing down their necks.

Lam7825

Go Goldy Go!
I sincerely hope and pray that the tv coverage of this weekend's border battle series isn't a sign of things to come from the Big 10 Network coverage for the future Big 10 hockey conference. Rob Andringa is an idiot- can't stand him. Lapanta and Gorg don't look so bad compared to this guy (who was confused last weekend why the team that iced the puck didn't change players...). EEK!

are Gophers still #1, now that BU thrashed BC?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I sincerely hope and pray that the tv coverage of this weekend's border battle series isn't a sign of things to come from the Big 10 Network coverage for the future Big 10 hockey conference. Rob Andringa is an idiot- can't stand him. Lapanta and Gorg don't look so bad compared to this guy (who was confused last weekend why the team that iced the puck didn't change players...). EEK!

are Gophers still #1, now that BU thrashed BC?

We'll all find out tomorrow. My guess they will be. I think had BC lost a close one, they would've taken over the top ranking, but as ugly as the loss was, I think the Gophers hold on to the top spot.

**UPDATE*** - USCHO just released their poll with the Gophers on top this week. BC fell to #3. Merrimack, the lone undefeated team, has moved up to #2.

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
MID QUARTERS

I'll start with the less obvious and see who sperates them self when we face SCCC on saturday night.

Boyd- Larson- Serratore. The 4th line. As of late they have been playing huge. Forechecking well, chipping in on the score sheet and now playing more PK. This line is a big reason for our success. Playing beyond expectations. Grade A

Parenteau. The most unoticable gopher. Solid botton pairing D man. Nothing flashy. Does not panic and just keeps plugging away. Still the entire d corp cannot hang Patterson out to dry. Grade C+

Marshall and Ambroz. If only they could morph. Both are playing, for my liking, too much like freshmen. Both will make good plays and bone headed ones. Marshall will turn the puck over and Ambroz will put us short handed on a dumb play. Marshall reminds me of the wild version of Harrington(hard to imagine) and Ambroz is just a step slower than everyone. Marshall is still playing wild, his play with the puck on his stick is better than when he tries to pass behind the crease. Ambroz, i just want to run out and push him, plays with his feet in mud. Deep mud. Marshall looks like he could break out with a little control. Ambroz is not going to get faster any time soon, but he can make quick simple plays and get his body in front of the net. I am more pleased with Marshall's overall play but I am liking the way Ambroz is coming under control and starting to get rid of the puck a second quicker and not trying to do too much. Grade C-

Patterson. When the D is there, in the general area at least, he has been solid. A few of the tic tac toes goals, no one could have stopped. He gives us a chance every night and i cannot think of a soft goal he has let in. Grade A

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Middle of the Roaders
Taylor Matson. No complaints. No one works harder. But this is the same thing i have said about him since he was a fresh. I want more. He is a senior captain and no reason he should not have a few more points some how. C-

Nate Condon. Liking his play and he is using his speed and scoring touch. Now that Ambroz is off their line and Warning is on it, i see more points for both Matson and Condon. Just more speed. B

Sam Warning. Started off hot and then became a freshman. Works hard and was just falling a bit short with Hanson and Haula. Hopes he can re find himself and get a little bit of luck going. B

Zack Budish. I always knew he could play in the O zone. But he has back checked well and is using his frame to protect the puck and is gathering assists at a nice pace. Impressed with his speed. Still less then a year removed from his knee surgery. Again as a red shirt sophmore. I see more he can add to the team and to his game. B-

Justin Holl. I almost want to hold off on him. He gets alittle bit more comfortable and a little better every week. Last year he was a scared freshmen now he is slowly looking like a solid two way guy. Needs to bulk up his shot and learn when to have confidance and when not to play it safe. C+ Could be on the rise very shortly.

Mark Alt. I though he was the best d man for parts of last year. And he has a taken a lateral step this year. Better here and there and losing a bit here and there. I think once he gets Guentzel and the system he will again be our best all around d man again. B-

Seth Helgeson. Play big, play tough. JUST DO NOT PLAY STUPID. Much like Matson i have no major complaints other than a few bone headed plays. But as an upper classman i want a little more. C

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Well it was what it was.

Good that the guys got to see a tight small rink trap with a team that can make you pay. We are a team built for open ice. Get that learning experiance out of the way now.

Haula and Hansen's line should have Condon on it. A guy that has some creativity and speed. Warning and Boyd are both hard workers and can chip in, but that is a better fit for Matson as he has been snake bitten this year.

Ambroz to the 4th line. Play it simple forecheck hard and with Serratore could really be frustrating to some teams. Might not score but may draw a pentalty and can just wear you down.

Marshall should get a benzo before the game. Reckless at times.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Oh how I miss going to the U and watching our football team suck our basketball team fail when it came time to win and the hockey team lose 2-3 guys each year to the NHL and then have to rebuild lol.

WaltWhitman

Oct 18, 2010
Why don't you guys change your nickname? Do you really think Gophers are just some object that you can slap on the front of your jerseys? They are living beings not mascots.

I hope PETA catches wind of all the gophers that have died over the years because of your precious little mascot.

You are bad people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->