Minnesota Golden Gophers

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
As for the tournament, they should switch to a home host format.

Maybe someone can help answer this, but wasn't the decision to definitely go to a home host format for the Big 10 tournament next year? Or is that just under consideration? I think I'd prefer the home host concept for the tournament, since it would make Big 10 league games all the more consequential and maybe add some intensity to some of the games. Without the old rivalries we had in our old conferences, that intensity just isn't there now, with a few possible exceptions that have carried over like Minn-Wisc, Mich-Mich St. I'd think the rivalries between Notre Dame and the two Michigan schools will be good, too; For the fans, it's not that long since their shared CCHA years, and those schools have had some pretty robust and historical rivalries in other sports over the years, too.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I thing the B1G was the worst thing for MN and WI and maybe the best thing for NCAA hockey overall.

I sure do miss those ND games, and Minnesota rivalries like UMD and St. Cloud. The latter were nipped in the bud before they really began.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not a bad start to the season. I don't know how good the Gophers are, but they look deep up front, at least. Nice mix of older and younger players.

Reactions: rynryn and JMCx4

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Not a bad start to the season. I don't know how good the Gophers are, but they look deep up front, at least. Nice mix of older and younger players.

Well, you got an answer tonight of how good they might be. 8-0, 4 road and 4 home games, miniscule goals against average. I hope they can keep it up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
ehh...MI didn't have 4 of their top forwards, and York. I definitely like the way MN is playing, and they have to be a top 10 team, but I'm not ready to go further than that. Lafontaine is looking very solid in goal.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm sure you have better things to do, but thanks for the offer ... and Go Gophers!

Ha, Ha! I found this thread just like I found a hockey game this afternoon, by accident.

Wisconsin 3, formerly undefeated #1 Minnesota 1. UW has quite a goalie!

There was a Byce playing in the game for the Badgers. That makes me feel old. His dad played for the Badgers and the Admirals. He also played for some team back east called the Bruins.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Ha, Ha! I found this thread just like I found a hockey game this afternoon, by accident.

Wisconsin 3, formerly undefeated #1 Minnesota 1. UW has quite a goalie!

There was a Byce playing in the game for the Badgers. That makes me feel old. His dad played for the Badgers and the Admirals. He also played for some team back east called the Bruins.
Hmmmmm ... Maybe you should've posted this in the OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread Part II. It needs some love, too. :heart:

Reactions: adsfan

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Whose idea was gold on white sweaters with gold pants? These may be the most gauche uniforms in the history of hockey - if not athletics.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Anyone alive in the NCAA forum? I was watching the Minny/Notre Lame game tonight and saw a lot of empty seats at the Mooch. Just wondering if covid protocols are in place. It was weird to see as that barn is usually packed.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
There are a couple of us hanging out.

UM sporting event attendance restrictions don't appear to be any different from most other U.S. college venues ...
COVID-19 TICKET POLICIES & INFORMATION
Updated: August 27, 2021
2021-22 Athletics Competition

The University of Minnesota is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable experience for all fans attending events on our campus. Guidelines from the Minnesota Department of Health do not limit venue capacity or require physical distancing between individuals. ...
  • All individuals - regardless of vaccination status - are required to wear a mask or face covering that fully covers both the mouth and nose while indoors. The lone exception is when an individual is actively eating or drinking. ...
  • All individuals are strongly encouraged to wear a mask or facial covering while outdoors in large public areas. ...
:dunno:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Is Jet 1st Rd pick Chaz L. hurt? Has missed the last 3 games
It's difficult to determine injury status for college players. But Gophers' forwards Ben Meyers & Matthew Knies recently returned from their Team USA Olympics assignments, and #2/#3 ranked Minnesota are coasting into the B1G conference tournament as the #1 seed. So chances are that Lucius was squeezed out by a combination of the roster numbers game & the coaching staff's desire to give ice time to more experienced skaters. Chaz clearly has the talent to contribute & thrive, so I wouldn't worry about his future just because he's sitting out a few games.

Reactions: thai jet

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Realize size is a strike against him, but anything to see in terms of pro potential for goalie Justen Close?

Numbers stand out and was solid against Wolverines this past weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->