Player Discussion Milan Lucic V.2.0

Toggel

Feb 26, 2015
And none retired, which was the conversation.
The comment I was originally responding to wasn't yours. Sorry. My bad.

They didn't officially retire because the team would be stuck with the cap. They were forced into LTIR until the contract was up so the team didn't have to deal with the cap and the player gets paid all of their money. It is kind of a broken system.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not really. His ratio of penalties drawn to penalties taken is much worse than Pouliot's was. He produces way better than Pouliot though.
He gets a lot of BS calls against though. The other day he got a penalty for hitting too hard.

Reactions: McNuge

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He fights and takes mean penalties. Pouliot was captain hook.

There is no comparison whatsoever between the two. Pouliot couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Oh right, I forgot that "mean penalties" don't put your team down a man.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
They didn't officially retire because the team would be stuck with the cap. They were forced into LTIR until the contract was up so the team didn't have to deal with the cap and the player gets paid all of their money. It is kind of a broken system.

Yeah, I see your point.
That's not really what I was getting at but fair enough. There may be ways to get rid of him.
I think they may close that door, though after the Lupul stuff. Maybe not.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Oh right, I forgot that "mean penalties" don't put your team down a man.

There is a huge difference between a lazy offensive zone hooking penalty and a penalty resulting in the opposing player playing in pain or gone to the dressing room.

If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to say.

Reactions: McNuge

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Also, if he doesn't prevent the stuff with the ducks and doesn't produce in the series, what's the benefit?

He looks fine this year. So I'm good with it for now.

Well, as I already said, he is not going to intimidate every single person in the league. Some guys play similar games to his and are out there doing the same thing. Kesler is an in your face type of player who will go toe to toe with anyone, that is who he is. Getzlaf is a big ass man who takes no shit. You are trying to push 1 example as if they are the only team in the league. Like I said go back and watch games, it is painfully obvious that we are not the same team anymore. We don't have our players being ran in to the boards anymore. Pre-Chia Oilers were the softest team in the league, and our players were contently getting injured by the opposing team. Post-Chia Oilers are now one of the toughest teams in the league. Hell even when Maroon and Kassian came here we still weren't all that tough. Milan Lucic is a man who keeps the other team in check, he is our new Dave Semenko. And not a lot of teams have one of those. Worth every single penny.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
He gets a lot of BS calls against though.
So did Pouliot.

Hey, it's cool. A lot of people love Lucic.
I think the contracts a problem.
I also think he looks better this year.
He's not going anywhere and I hope he contributes to success.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Anyone remember those waiting for the bus memes? Lucic is one of the main reasons you won't see that meme associated with the Oilers anymore. With cap hits going up, 6 million is a fair cap hit for Lucic. The length of the deal is 2 years to long but that's what was needed to get him to sign here.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There is a huge difference between a lazy offensive zone hooking penalty and a penalty resulting in the opposing player playing in pain or gone to the dressing room.

If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to say.

Really useful when the team is fishing the puck out of their net.

BTW here's his minor penalty breakdown: 3 roughing calls, 2 slashing and 2 interference. Slow penalties.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Well, as I already said, he is not going to intimidate every single person in the league. Some guys play similar games to his and are out there doing the same thing. Kesler is an in your face type of player who will go toe to toe with anyone, that is who he is. Getzlaf is a big ass man who takes no ****. You are trying to push 1 example as if they are the only team in the league. Like I said go back and watch games, it is painfully obvious that we are not the same team anymore. We don't have our players being ran in to the boards anymore. Pre-Chia Oilers were the softest team in the league, and our players were contently getting injured by the opposing team. Post-Chia Oilers are now one of the toughest teams in the league. Hell even when Maroon and Kassian came here we still weren't all that tough. Milan Lucic is a man who keeps the other team in check, he is our new Dave Semenko. And not a lot of teams have one of those. Worth every single penny.
And as I said already, there were a bunch of changes that came into play when Lucic joined the team.
You want to give Looch credit for all of it, go right ahead.
I don't.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
So did Pouliot.

Hey, it's cool. A lot of people love Lucic.
I think the contracts a problem.
I also think he looks better this year.
He's not going anywhere and I hope he contributes to success.

He looks better, but he doesn't look good. Still slow, still can't make or take a pass unless it's laid out on a silver platter. Sure isn't the bull in a china shop he was advertised as being, but I suspect he know that he's 29 and if he tries to play like he did when he was 22, he'd find himself on the IR pretty quickly.

But like you said, he's putting up numbers so that's what counts.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He leads the team in penalties taken, is ninth in the entire league and has the third worst penalty differential in the entire league. Anything else?

Couldn't find penalty differential. Link?

He is seventh, not ninth, in the league in penalties. He fights. I guess fighting makes a difference.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
And as I said already, there were a bunch of changes that came into play when Lucic joined the team.
You want to give Looch credit for all of it, go right ahead.
I don't.

What changes were these? When did I say he deserves all the credit? Many players have stepped up the hitting department and I give more credit to team unity and wanting to play for each other than Lucic in this regard. But, Lucic is THE biggest reason we are not getting run anymore.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Really useful when the team is fishing the puck out of their net.

BTW here's his minor penalty breakdown: 3 roughing calls, 2 slashing and 2 interference. Slow penalties.

I thought hooking was a slow penalty. Roughing? No. Slashing? Maybe slashing but not often, but his are mean and cause pain with those. Interference? No.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

He is seventh, not ninth, in the league in penalties. He fights. I guess fighting makes a difference.

Corsica | Skater Stats scroll over to iPENT. He's ninth there because they don't count game misconducts, just majors and minors. But the kicker is two columns over.
I thought hooking was a slow penalty. Roughing? No. Slashing? Maybe slashing but not often, but his are mean and cause pain with those. Interference? No.

The idea that penalties that are "mean" and "cause pain" are somehow good while hooking is bad is so dumb I can't get over it. At the end of the day your team is at a disadvantage where it counts.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
He looks better, but he doesn't look good. Still slow, still can't make or take a pass unless it's laid out on a silver platter. Sure isn't the bull in a china shop he was advertised as being, but I suspect he know that he's 29 and if he tries to play like he did when he was 22, he'd find himself on the IR pretty quickly.

But like you said, he's putting up numbers so that's what counts.
He's mostly a perimeter player.
He's got a good wrist shot.
When he's in the mood, he's ok.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He's mostly a perimeter player.
He's got a good wrist shot.
When he's in the mood, he's ok.
A perimeter player is a pretty ridiculous thing to call him. He stands in front of the net more than any player on the team.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Saw it on twitter. Yost or Willis maybe.
I don't really care enough to look for it now and I have no idea how to post it anyway.
Sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad