Player Discussion Milan Lucic V.2.0

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Lucic is the kind of guy that once his body gives out, he is done. So he can retired and voila. Contract gone.
We can hire him as head of face punching relations.
That's funny.
Nobody walks on millions.
This is like the "McDavid is the kind of guy that will take $8 million to help the team" stuff.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not sure what those other contracts have to do with the Oilers.
Also, it's funny that saying he's not a leader is something that's unknowable but saying he is a leader is legit.
The term is bad. The NMC is bad.
When he's "on" he's good.
He can help now if he can stay angry.
Other contracts have a lot to do with the Oilers because it shows what kind of contracts are actually signed these days and not he make believe of "LUCIC ONLY WORTH 4 MILL FOR 1 DAY DUMB OILERS" Player value is often based on similar contracts around the league, ESEPCIALLY UFAS that were all signed at the same time.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's funny.
Nobody walks on millions.
This is like the "McDavid is the kind of guy that will take $8 million to help the team" stuff.
It happens all the time. Players "retire" and the org hires them to some bullshit position and pay them their old salary.

Also if a player retires due to "injury" insurance covers the contract.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Not sure what those other contracts have to do with the Oilers.
Also, it's funny that saying he's not a leader is something that's unknowable but saying he is a leader is legit.
The term is bad. The NMC is bad.
When he's "on" he's good.
He can help now if he can stay angry.

The Oilers aren't the only team in the market. It gets set by what other players in similar production brackets are being given all over the league. Hence the examples posted further up in the thread.

I agree with everything else in your post.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
His avv. I see Lucic getting either bought out or traded in year 6 and 7 so I'm not worried then. The extra million or 2 is crucial in year 3 and 4 if we want to ice a championship team
If you can find a team he'll go to and is willing and able to take his cap hit.
Cross that bridge when it comes if he helps now.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Other contracts have a lot to do with the Oilers because it shows what kind of contracts are actually signed these days and not he make believe of "LUCIC ONLY WORTH 4 MILL FOR 1 DAY DUMB OILERS" Player value is often based on similar contracts around the league, ESEPCIALLY UFAS that were all signed at the same time.
The existence of worse contracts doesn't make his good.
Didn't have to sign him.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
The Oilers aren't the only team in the market. It gets set by what other players in similar production brackets are being given all over the league. Hence the examples posted further up in the thread.

I agree with everything else in your post.
I understand how value is assessed.
We didn't have to sign him.
Doesn't matter, we did sign him.
He's an Oiler, I hope he has a great season.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Hossa, Pronger, Ferance, Robidas, Lupul to name a few.
Injuries. Other than Hossa those guys had no choice. Ference and Lupul didn't even retire.

You said he was the kind of guy to just retire when he couldn't contribute.

Got any of those?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It happens all the time. Players "retire" and the org hires them to some bull**** position and pay them their old salary.

Also if a player retires due to "injury" insurance covers the contract.

He’s more likely headed to a compliance buyout next lockout

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
50 point power forward that makes the entire team play a foot taller and 20lbs heavier. I think there is still a lot of teams in the league that would love to have Lucic. It’s like everyone forgot about the time before Lucic, Maroon and Kassian where other teams had zero respect for our star players. As long as Mcdavid is an Oiler we need Lucic.

Toggel

Feb 26, 2015
Injuries. Other than Hossa those guys had no choice. Ference and Lupul didn't even retire.

You said he was the kind of guy to just retire when he couldn't contribute.

Got any of those?

I did not say he was one of those guys. He will play his contract out because it isn't front loaded and it is stacked with bonus money. I was just giving examples of guys that didn't play out their contracts because of 'injuries' Pronger is probably the only one that had a legit injury. I fully believe all those other players were healthy enough to play, the teams just didn't want them. I saw Ferance at multiple races around the province while he was 'injured'. Lupul is the only 'active' player. Everyone else was LTIR until their contracts were up.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
50 point power forward that makes the entire team play a foot taller and 20lbs heavier. I think there is still a lot of teams in the league that would love to have Lucic. It’s like everyone forgot about the time before Lucic, Maroon and Kassian where other teams had zero respect for our star players. As long as Mcdavid is an Oiler we need Lucic.

Like in the playoffs when Kessler and Getzlaf were well behaved because they were intimidated by Lucic...

I get what you're saying but the whole team was changed. Maybe it was all due to Lucic, maybe not. Maybe Maroon, Kassian and Larsson were enough.
I don't know for sure and neither does anyone else.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I did not say he was one of those guys. He will play his contract out because it isn't front loaded and it is stacked with bonus money. I was just giving examples of guys that didn't play out their contracts because of 'injuries' Pronger is probably the only one that had a legit injury. I fully believe all those other players were healthy enough to play, the teams just didn't want them. I saw Ferance at multiple races around the province while he was 'injured'. Lupul is the only 'active' player. Everyone else was LTIR until their contracts were up.
And none retired, which was the conversation.
The comment I was originally responding to wasn't yours. Sorry. My bad.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Like in the playoffs when Kessler and Getzlaf were well behaved because they were intimidated by Lucic...

I get what you're saying but the whole team was changed. Maybe it was all due to Lucic, maybe not. Maybe Maroon, Kassian and Larsson were enough.
I don't know for sure and neither does anyone else.

Kesler and Getzlaf play that type of game regardless. Can't use 1 example to paint the entire league. Watch pre-Lucic Oilers and post-Lucic Oilers games, it is very evident that people have stopped taking cheap shots at our players every game. Of course there are going to be guys that aren't intimidated by him, but those are the guys who aren't intimidated by anyone.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Kesler and Getzlaf play that type of game regardless. Can't use 1 example to paint the entire league. Watch pre-Lucic Oilers and post-Lucic Oilers games, it is very evident that people have stopped taking cheap shots at our players every game. Of course there are going to be guys that aren't intimidated by him, but those are the guys who aren't intimidated by anyone.
PreLucic and PostLucic include more changes than just Lucic.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Not really. His ratio of penalties drawn to penalties taken is much worse than Pouliot's was. He produces way better than Pouliot though.

He fights and takes mean penalties. Pouliot was captain hook.

There is no comparison whatsoever between the two. Pouliot couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Also, if he doesn't prevent the stuff with the ducks and doesn't produce in the series, what's the benefit?

He looks fine this year. So I'm good with it for now.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
He fights and takes mean penalties. Pouliot was captain hook.

There is no comparison whatsoever between the two. Pouliot couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Fighting doesn't change the ratio, both guys get 5. Has nothing to do with fighting.

Toggel

Feb 26, 2015
Not really. His ratio of penalties drawn to penalties taken is much worse than Pouliot's was. He produces way better than Pouliot though.
Its not just worst, its almost twice as bad, but no one blinks an eye haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad