Player Discussion Milan Lucic V.2.0

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The deal was, and always will be a big risk. It could help us out in this years playoffs immensely and for next 2 years. It was a neccessary bullet to bite to move this team forward. But in the later years of this deal I could see it be pretty painful. I do think we can manoeuvre around it via trade. Hell the CBA is up in short future and likely will open up another round of buyouts

Ideally he plays good for 3 years, then if hes declining in 4th year we use that buy out to get out from the contract with no issues

McDavid Gilmour

Jun 7, 2016
E-Town
I'll go on record saying that I liked the contract when he signed it but felt it to be a couple of years too long. I understood the overpayment in term due to the fact that he was the biggest UFA on the market but I didn't necessarily like it.

I voted wait and see because if we can win a couple of cups during the duration of that contract I feel it will have been a worthwhile signing.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
I love it.

Biggest UFA on the market, and he signed here. I think with expansion, and teams locking up core players early, we are going to see lesser talents making more, progressively, over the term of this deal. So much so, that the terms in this deal will be inconsequential.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I love it.

Biggest UFA on the market, and he signed here. I think with expansion, and teams locking up core players early, we are going to see lesser talents making more, progressively, over the term of this deal. So much so, that the terms in this deal will be inconsequential.

Agreed. Factor this signing in with the Hall for Larsson trade and things have worked out excellently for Chiarelli.

If Lucic is taking a year to adjust that means things should be great heading for the next few years.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Lucic is a legitimately huge power forward with no recurring injuries who understands which games are small enough that he can conserve his energy and which games are big enough to bring it physically.

Barring anything unfortunate, he'll age like Keith Tkachuk, Brendan Shanahan, John LeClair and other big-framed power forwards.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think there is much risk with him.

First off, with his tiny injury history, he is comparable to high end power forwards like Doan and Iginla (or the other names that Panda Bear said), and they are playing at 40. Lucic's deal takes him to 34. He will very likely be worth his contract for the entire length of the deal, and the cap will likely keep rising, making his relative cap hit go down and down every season. Yes, he will likely diminish slowly over time like anyone, but at that same rate he will gain more and more value for his veteran leadership and experience.

Second, if he falls apart we will just LTIR him like everyone else in the league. He even has medical condition, so it will be extremely easy to make the argument. Like other "LTIRetired" stars, they will play ball, and quite frankly the only way I see Lucic's play falling off a cliff is if he gets a severe medical issue, so his LTIR would likely be fully legitimate.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The fact that he's been in the playoffs every year of his career is so huge for this team. One of the most experienced guys out there, and he's producing pretty much exactly how you'd expect him to. Not much wrong with the first year of his deal so far, outside of a bit of a prolonged slump.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

First off, with his tiny injury history, he is comparable to high end power forwards like Doan and Iginla (or the other names that Panda Bear said), and they are playing at 40. Lucic's deal takes him to 34. He will very likely be worth his contract for the entire length of the deal, and the cap will likely keep rising, making his relative cap hit go down and down every season. Yes, he will likely diminish slowly over time like anyone, but at that same rate he will gain more and more value for his veteran leadership and experience.

Second, if he falls apart we will just LTIR him like everyone else in the league. He even has medical condition, so it will be extremely easy to make the argument. Like other "LTIRetired" stars, they will play ball, and quite frankly the only way I see Lucic's play falling off a cliff is if he gets a severe medical issue, so his LTIR would likely be fully legitimate.

one thing that still cracks me up is when SOME Vancouver fans still bash Lucic deal--but defend the Loui Eriksson. Loui Eriksson deal goes till he is 37--Lucic 35--Lucic has one more year then Erickson and Lucic plays a more complete game

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
one thing that still cracks me up is when SOME Vancouver fans still bash Lucic deal--but defend the Loui Eriksson. Loui Eriksson deal goes till he is 37--Lucic 35--Lucic has one more year then Erickson and Lucic plays a more complete game

Not to mention Lucic has 16 more points than Eriksson, and Eriksson has missed more games in his career than Lucic.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

He's only 28. There is no physiological reason why he can't perform at his current level until the age of 32-33. By then the contract may be moveable due to the inflation.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

This part is false.Eriksson in his prime was an excellent 2 way winger capable of scoring 30 goals. He obviously does not have the intimidation factor, but he was all around a better player.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There arecthings he does and brings to the team that imo will most likely make him effective through the duration of his contract.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This part is false.Eriksson in his prime was an excellent 2 way winger capable of scoring 30 goals. He obviously does not have the intimidation factor, but he was all around a better player.

Disagree: Erickson's pts out put is more based upon who he plays with and now how he plays

Lucic is out put is more based upon how he plays

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

It's debatable if he's worth the contract today based on how he's played the entire season. He's been pretty damn good the last little while, but there have been lengthy stretches this year where he's been slow, not contributing offensively and poor defensively.

If at the start of the year you said Lucic was going to score fewer than 20 goals, put up fewer than 50 points, and be one of the worst minus players on the team, would people say he's earned the contract?

For Lucic to be worth his contract, he needs to bring the level of play he's had for the last month or so for much more of the season than he has this year.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
He gave up more money to come here. Absolutely love him and the contract. We desperately needed this type of player.

:thumbu:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Hmm... more technically sound? Yes. As effective or dominant? Prime vs Prime? No way and few GMs would agree with that.

The comparison for Eriksson was Lehtenin-light without the consistency year to year nor the peak.

The comparison for Lucic... is there one? Consistent 25+goal or 50+ point goon? I can't really think of one... Bertuzzi had more offense but less intimidating, but he'd be the closest.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Hmm... more technically sound? Yes. As effective or dominant? Prime vs Prime? No way and few GMs would agree with that.

The comparison for Eriksson was Lehtenin-light without the consistency year to year nor the peak.

The comparison for Lucic... is there one? Consistent 25+goal or 50+ point goon? I can't really think of one... Bertuzzi had more offense but less intimidating, but he'd be the closest.

I think the Oilers' bias and Eriksson's decline cloud your judgement. He was widely regarded as one of the best 2 way wingers in the game a few years ago (was in conversation for the Selke while putting up 70 points). This is not a knock on Lucic, who was once the premier power forward (with suspect defense).

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think the Oilers' bias and Eriksson's decline cloud your judgement. He was widely regarded as one of the best 2 way wingers in the game a few years ago (was in conversation for the Selke while putting up 70 points). This is not a knock on Lucic, who was once the premier power forward.

A few years ago is the thing

we are talking here and now

Lucic deal is good right now

Erickson is already bad and will get worse

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There were times this season that he was struggling badly. That said he has changed the dynamic of our team, added leadership and a hell of a net front presence on the PP. He can also dominate in short spurts like few players can. IMO once the playoffs start he will be even more dominant for us. The adjustment period is over, he is an Oiler and he has been lights out of late.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I pegged him at 20g-30a, he won't get there and he's had some rough patches but he seems to bring some things to the table that you can't measure.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
There were times this season that he was struggling badly. That said he has changed the dynamic of our team, added leadership and a hell of a net front presence on the PP. He can also dominate in short spurts like few players can. IMO once the playoffs start he will be even more dominant for us. The adjustment period is over, he is an Oiler and he has been lights out of late.

He already scored 40 points with 13 games to go. The way he's been playing lately, it is not unreasonable to expect he will get to the 45-50 point range. This is about what should have been expected at the start of the year. He's never scored more than 62 points in a year and has scored under 50 points a few times. Basically a 50 point player with intangibles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad