Player Discussion Milan Lucic V.2.0

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
What changes were these? When did I say he deserves all the credit? Many players have stepped up the hitting department and I give more credit to team unity and wanting to play for each other than Lucic in this regard. But, Lucic is THE biggest reason we are not getting run anymore.
Larsson and Russell were aquired.
Full seasons of Maroon and Kassian.
Pitlick, Slepyshev, Caggulia all played physical. I also think just having McDavid led to a culture shift.
I totally agree with you on the attitude change undergone by the team.
I just don't think Lucic was that big of a catalyst.
You do.
Hard to prove, either way.

Reactions: dawunderboy

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Saw it on twitter. Yost or Willis maybe.
I don't really care enough to look for it now and I have no idea how to post it anyway.
Sorry.

Ok.

It's just nice if people can actually back up what they say. Keeps people from just making stuff up.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Ok.

It's just nice if people can actually back up what they say. Keeps people from just making stuff up.

Yeah I understand. I'm not going to bother though. If you don't believe me, I'm not too worried about it.

Truthfully this whole topic isn't that big of a deal for me. Kinda got carried down the rabbit hole.
Lucic is here. I'm happy when he scores or lays someone out and I'll be thrilled if it all works out.

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The guy brings a dimension to this team that is likely better understood by the players he plays with, than from an audiences' perspective.

He will also still end up with 50+ points this season.

He is a $6M/year player in today's NHL. The term of his contract is on Chia, and not on Lucic.

Reactions: Ladyfan

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Larsson and Russell were aquired.
Full seasons of Maroon and Kassian.
Pitlick, Slepyshev, Caggulia all played physical. I also think just having McDavid led to a culture shift.
I totally agree with you on the attitude change undergone by the team.
I just don't think Lucic was that big of a catalyst.
You do.
Hard to prove, either way.

Lucic and Maroon are the only tough guys that are capable of consistently playing in the top 6. It’s not just Lucic alone but he is respected around the league moreso then our other tougher players.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
McDavid said he would like to play with a Lucic type player and Lucic is the closest thing to that. What McDavid wants McDavid gets.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
The guy brings a dimension to this team that is likely better understood by the players he plays with, than from an audiences' perspective.

He will also still end up with 50+ points this season.

He is a $6M/year player in today's NHL. The term of his contract is on Chia, and not on Lucic.
Oh yeah, the contract is the issue and that's definitely on Chia.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Corsica | Skater Stats scroll over to iPENT. He's ninth there because they don't count game misconducts, just majors and minors. But the kicker is two columns over.

The idea that penalties that are "mean" and "cause pain" are somehow good while hooking is bad is so dumb I can't get over it. At the end of the day your team is at a disadvantage where it counts.

That sure is an obscure stat.

Makes sense though. Lucic had three roughing penalties. Other players rarely try to rough up Lucic. He had two slashing penalties. It is pretty rare that a player feels brave enough to slash Lucic. He had two interference. I presume that was roughing up the goalie?

I would be worried if I saw hooking or holding penalties.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That sure is an obscure stat.

Makes sense though. Lucic had three roughing penalties. Other players rarely try to rough up Lucic. He had two slashing penalties. It is pretty rare that a player feels brave enough to slash Lucic. He had two interference. I presume that was roughing up the goalie?

I would be worried if I saw hooking or holding penalties.

A penalty is a penalty is a penalty.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
A penalty is a penalty is a penalty.

Every announcer or player or coach or I guess most fans would disagree.

There is nothing worse than taking a lazy offensive zone penalty. You hear it all the time from announcers. It almost makes a team do a litttle slump on the bench. It infuriates coaches. Pouliot was vilified for it everywhere he played.. Yet a penalty where a player is sticking up for a teammate or just lays a guy out or gets in to a fight...you hear announcers, etc. state all the time how the team will work hard to kill off that one.

I could go on, but no, a penalty is not a penalty, etc.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Every announcer or player or coach or I guess most fans would disagree.

There is nothing worse than taking a lazy offensive zone penalty. You hear it all the time from announcers. It almost makes a team do a litttle slump on the bench. It infuriates coaches. Pouliot was vilified for it everywhere he played.. Yet a penalty where a player is sticking up for a teammate or just lays a guy out or gets in to a fight...you hear announcers, etc. state all the time how the team will work hard to kill off that one.

I could go on, but no, a penalty is not a penalty, etc.

Is a goal scored against a team killing a lazy penalty worth less than a goal scored against a team killing a tough guy penalty? No? Then a penalty is a penalty is a penalty. Because all that matters is you're putting your team down a man.

Imagine this scenario: it's game 7 of a playoff series, tied in the third and a player (let's call him Liam Cucic) hauls off an punches an opponent in the face and goes off for roughing. By your logic, that's a good penalty to take despite the potential cost to the team.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Hope we trade him for someone faster, has better reactions and can win puck battles consistently.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
We had Lucic and Maroon and a few others planted in front of the net, where they were supposed to be but nobody could get decent shots off because they were being to cute with all the skating down the sides and passing the puck back.

We have bigger issues than Lucic.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lucic is a good player for us, but like last year, he only really comes alive during the last quarter or third of the season or so, and the playoffs.

Also, 6 million isn't what it used to be. With cap inflation, for a UFA, it wasn't even a reach back when it was signed, and the speculation is that the cap will go up a lot (I haven't fully researched this).

I think it's mostly an issue to criticize Chiarelli over, although I still like Lucic on the team and feel that he will be a part of the solution once the team heads in the right direction again.

I'm also biased towards things that can change. Lucic has a NMC, so there's no option there, just like those people who suggest we trade Sekera. I'm not saying NMC players are above criticism, just that I prefer to focus on our actual options.

Reactions: Aerchon

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
5G and 14A in 27 games ...... plus most of his points have come in the last 15 games.

Sorry, I like Lucic. Some of you need a reality check as to what type of player can be landed in free agency for $6M in today's NHL.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->