Injury Report: Mikko "Kaptain" Koivu (Jan 6: Ankle Surgery, Out At Least One Month)

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I wouldn't be so sure. Coyle is a better fit at the wing, while Haula is seemingly more of a natural C.

What I'd really like to see:

Nino - Granlund - Pominville
Heatley - Brodziak - Fontaine
Zucker - Haula - Coyle
Veilleux - Mitchell - Bulmer

Flip Zucker->Heatley and Haula->Brodziak IMO. I'd rather have a pool of vomit as 2C than Brodz. Brodz is fine as a bottom six C.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Being big doesnt automaticly make you good enough, even if that seems to be what the coachingstaff thinks.

Dont get me wrong, i would love CC to become a legit powerforward as soon as possible, but he isnt yet. And with all his chances he should start putting up somewhat consistent numbers asap.

I wasn't agreeing with the reason.I was saying the reason. To me, Coyle at his peak is going to be a 2nd/3rd line winger. But he is big and he can control the puck along the boards, which makes him look like a better NHLer then he is

Which is why he got called up so soon, and we he gets better oppurtunities then any other prospect.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Flip Zucker->Heatley and Haula->Brodziak IMO. I'd rather have a pool of vomit as 2C than Brodz. Brodz is fine as a bottom six C.

Well, everyone in that 2nd line is struggling. Getting them together can't be any worse than the current situation, right? Besides, Brodz has previously looked good with Heatley, and Fonz will bring at least some speed to that line.

Oh yeah, and I forgot about Cooke. Not sure where I'd put him. Ideally, he'd be 3rd line LW with Heatley scratched and Zucker moved up to 2nd, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Apparently Koivu is already walking without crutches

“It’s amazing,†Yeo said. “I know he’s motivated to get back. It is encouraging …†seeing Parise, Koivu, Spurgeon and Harding around the team."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/240342741.html

With Parise and Koivu I would rather lock them up for week after they are cleared to go. Just in case. They're probably somehow faking it for the better anyhow. Being the bad ass mofos they are.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
With Parise and Koivu I would rather lock them up for week after they are cleared to go. Just in case. They're probably somehow faking it for the better anyhow. Being the bad ass mofos they are.

I think I agree with this. Those guys try to push themselves a little hard for their own good. Hold them out and extra game or two just to give them a little extra time

Death of Rats

Jan 28, 2012
Blashyrkh
Of course this might be different, but usually it's easier to skate than walk..
Sorry but that's just complete bull. Skating at nhl level is most definitely harder than walking. Of course it's easier to glide with skates than it is to walk. But when you've got to have the power and finesse in your stride that's whole another story.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
The fact that Yeo sounds positive that Koivu is already walking is a good sign. He may still need time to heal before he starts skating again but it sounds like he is progressing ahead of schedule.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sorry but that's just complete bull. Skating at nhl level is most definitely harder than walking. Of course it's easier to glide with skates than it is to walk. But when you've got to have the power and finesse in your stride that's whole another story.

The boot on a skate provides a ton of stability.

Parise is exhibit A. He skated on a fractured foot for weeks, he wasn't 100% but it was only slightly noticeable.

Russo reported a couple times during that stretch that he could barely walk off ice.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013

No it's not, there is often a guy who can't even walk without a boot and are limping, but can skate, of course it can be awkward..
You can often a hear when player are talking about how it's hard to walk but they can skate.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA

Skating obviously harder than walking, but wearing a skate that is molded to your foot rather than a shoe is less painful when you have an injury.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Apparently Koivu's healing is ahead of schedule, at least if we are to believe the coaching staff of Team Finland who provided an update on him.

They've been in close contact to both Koivu himself and the docs in Minnesota. He's expected to start practicing any day now, and should be back on the lineup with days to spare towards the olympic break.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Apparently Koivu's healing is ahead of schedule, at least if we are to believe the coaching staff of Team Finland who provided an update on him.

They've been in close contact to both Koivu himself and the docs in Minnesota. He's expected to start practicing any day now, and should be back on the lineup with days to spare towards the olympic break.

That's great news.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I feel iffy about Koivu coming back before the break. Can we just throw him in the equipment room? I like the team we have now...

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Wow... :laugh: You really don't like Koivu, do ya?

I don't think it's Koivu he's worried about so much as what Yeo is gonna do with the lineup once Koivu comes back. All it took was Parise coming back and we've got 4 brand new lines. Granted, we won tonight, but the point remains valid.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I don't think it's Koivu he's worried about so much as what Yeo is gonna do with the lineup once Koivu comes back. All it took was Parise coming back and we've got 4 brand new lines. Granted, we won tonight, but the point remains valid.

Maybe, but TSK doesn't like Koivu. I still remember some 'brilliant' trade ideas.

The Wild have been getting outshot a lot lately, and not just by a couple of shots but 10 or more. That doesn't bode well in the long term and I would personally not get attached to any line combination until the situation changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad