Injury Report: Mikko "Kaptain" Koivu (Jan 6: Ankle Surgery, Out At Least One Month)

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Pominville has 20 goals. Hard to criticize the top goal scorer on the team.

Parise I've been criticizing quite a bit and a number of other people have been ripping on his style of play this year.

Again, classic deflection onto other players or posters.

J22*

Parise I've been criticizing quite a bit and a number of other people have been ripping on his style of play this year.

Pominville shouldnt be criticized because he leads the team in goals, but there's multiple threads on why the teams leading point scorer should be on the 3rd line?

Koivu has his faults, but the fact is that he's a better player than either Parise or Pominville. With the contract that Parise signed, he should be the one elevating Koivu's game.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Koivu is leading this team in so many categories, especially in the advanced stats, but hey, what do they tell. Koivu to the 4th line, or better yet, trade Koivu for the better available #1 C in the market who can lead this team to Stanley Cup.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Pominville shouldnt be criticized because he leads the team in goals, but there's multiple threads on why the teams leading point scorer should be on the 3rd line?

Koivu has his faults, but the fact is that he's a better player than either Parise or Pominville. With the contract that Parise signed, he should be the one elevating Koivu's game.

Multiple threads? Which ones?

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
It bleeds into a couple of different ones, Free Agency, Line Combos, I think General Discussion somewhere.

Yep. Also some game day threads have mentioned the possibility.

The problem is that we have two high-end two-way forwards in Koivu and Parise, and Coyle isn't exactly an offensive powerhouse either. That makes Koivu's game look exposed when there's no other shooters in his line either. That's why I wanted him with Granlund and Pominville; he is at his best when he's play the center role and not having to create the offense but can contribute on it. He has had past chemistry with Granlund from the big ice, I know it doesn't count for much but at one point it seemed they scored every time they were on the ice together. And we all know about MG & Pommer.

In short, Koivu is not a problem. He's not the reason this team is mediocre offensively despite a talented roster. It's how we use him that's creating the problem. Right now, our (when healthy) 1st line is an elite defensive line. It's very good in what it does, but it's worse offensively than it should be. And right now, Yeo is creating another monster in Parise - Coyle - Nino. I mean, I don't mind that line. But we need some explosive offense, too. Relying on grind and work ethic alone makes this a very successful team in November until they all get injured and barely make the playoffs where they are too tired to make any sort of noise.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

Parise's style gets ripped, but it's working. Yes Poms leads the team in goals, Parise leads it in goals per game. Personally I think WAY too many people here whine about a players game when they don't play the way they (the poster) wants them to. And when complaining about the player doesn't satisfy them, go after the coaches, the GM, etc etc etc....as in, some people just like to *****.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I try not to criticize anybody's game. Why? They're playing in the NHL; I am not.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
If that were the case, we'd be doing nothing but cheerleading. Granted Yeo is probably a billion times better of a coach than I am, but that still doesn't mean I can't criticize or be skeptical of his decisions.

I think I've come around a bit on Koivu/Parise and was too hard on them for not being they kind of dynamic offensive players I wanted to be. Unrealistic expectations. But part of that realization to me means that I think they should be playing a shutdown role against the other team's top line.

I'm not sure that Yeo can keep going back to the Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine line. Brodziak has been pretty bad the last couple years. So I think he'll want to stick Coyle in that center spot, but Coyle can't win draws. You can't have a shutdown line that loses draws 2/3 of the time.

That's why I think he will roll something like this:

Parise-Koivu-Nino
Heatley-Granlund-Pominville
Cooke-Coyle-Fontaine
Rupp-Brodziak-Mitchell

Honestly, the first and third lines can play fine defensively, but you can't start the Coyle line for important zone draws until he figures out how to win faceoffs. The Koivu and Coyle lines would go up against top and second lines while the Granlund line would get the matchups against the weaker lines.

I think I would prefer he rolls something like this:

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Granlund-Pominville
Zucker-Haula-Fontaine
Cooke-Brodziak-Mitchell

Koivu's line goes against the top scoring lines and pins them in their end, neutralizing them while providing offense. Granlund's line gives quite a bit of scoring with puck possession. Haula's line should have a lot of speed and scoring ability. Brodziak's line can take the odd shift but mostly they are PK'ers.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I wish I could find a video montage of all 45 of Parise's goals the year he did it, just to see how he scored them. Were a majority of them scored the way he scores them now? Or was more dynamic back then? I can't remember but I keep thinking he should be much better with puck on his stick, but I might still be hung up on his NoDak days.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have no problem with Parise or Koivu. The only time I ripped Koivu was in last year's playoffs when I thought he disappeared, but I think he was still injured. Also, on reflection, while he was silent scoring wise, I seem to remember Toews was also... I'll take that trade off any day.

What the Wild seem to be developing is scoring depth. Cook is good for the odd goal and won't disappear during tough playoff hockey, Fontaine has showed up out of nowhere(trade bait?), Granlund is miles better than last year, Nino is a big bonus, Zucker and Haula will really spice up the bottom six offensively. If we had been able to drop Heatley and keep Cullen and what's his face we would have been quasi legit contenders for the Cup, IMO, but that ship has sailed so we'll have to wait for a year or two.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I wish I could find a video montage of all 45 of Parise's goals the year he did it, just to see how he scored them. Were a majority of them scored the way he scores them now? Or was more dynamic back then? I can't remember but I keep thinking he should be much better with puck on his stick, but I might still be hung up on his NoDak days.

I thought he looked great early and then faded a bit. He scores a lot of timely goals around the net. If he gets the puck on his stick with a bit of space, usually it's a very good scoring chance, but there's not a lot of breakaways or moves. Usually loose pucks around the net.

And I agree it's the scoring depth which is making that line less important in terms of needing to create offense. If you have two more good lines that can score at even strength, you don't need Koivu and Parise to be elite playmakers.

BUT, I still wouldn't want both of them on the top PP unit. I think guys like Granlund and Zucker are more creative with the puck and that creates more opportunities, vs standing around and passing the puck.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I thought he looked great early and then faded a bit. He scores a lot of timely goals around the net. If he gets the puck on his stick with a bit of space, usually it's a very good scoring chance, but there's not a lot of breakaways or moves. Usually loose pucks around the net.

And I agree it's the scoring depth which is making that line less important in terms of needing to create offense. If you have two more good lines that can score at even strength, you don't need Koivu and Parise to be elite playmakers.

BUT, I still wouldn't want both of them on the top PP unit. I think guys like Granlund and Zucker are more creative with the puck and that creates more opportunities, vs standing around and passing the puck.

Its criminal they haven't given Nino a shot on the first PP.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Koivu, Parise, Pominville, Suter; all have been playing well. They've been who they should be, carrying the team.

The problem is, the secondary scoring just isn't there. While Granlund, Niederreiter, Coyle, and even Zucker all look like they have strong futures, they're just too in and out and don't provide much on a shift by shift basis; let a lone game by game.

At this point in time, the age/development is just too stretched out. And it's noticeable. I like how this team stacks up moving forward, but they're still at a stage in team development where it doesn't appear to mesh all that well.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I think Koivu staying back has worked out for the best. He's getting the rest and healing, and is now ready to practice. Meanwhile, Granlund had to take on some extra responsibility to fill the void, and he's answering the challenge. It's a great learning experience for him.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I think Koivu staying back has worked out for the best. He's getting the rest and healing, and is now ready to practice. Meanwhile, Granlund had to take on some extra responsibility to fill the void, and he's answering the challenge. It's a great learning experience for him.

For Minnesota fans this is so exciting time, hope either Parise or Granlund will bring gold with em

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
God can you imagine how much better FIN is if they have Koivu manning that top line? Nvm Filppula and Barkov out too.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

I wouldn't go that far. Granlund would've had his fair share of responsibility anyway. He belonged with this team.

I bet many have already started writing up their "See! I told you so!" rants after they took down Russia...

No, it's the 'Finland is better off without Koivu' idea now. And no, Finland is not better off without him, none of us Finns think that. None of our best guys are like Ovie or Kovy, they are not a detriment. Finland would be exactly where it is now if Mikko was in Sochi. I wish he was, and I wish Valtteri Filppula was there as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad