Injury Report: Mikko "Kaptain" Koivu (Jan 6: Ankle Surgery, Out At Least One Month)

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
I'm just slightly confused by what role each line will play. The third line is too small to be used as a shut down line, and the second line certainly isn't designed to do it. The forth line could probably handle it in chunks of time but not consistently for a whole game. That leaves the first line, which means it is up to coyle and pommers.

I feel that we will need to a suddenly start scoring 4 or 5 goals a game with that set up.

This is what I was thinking as well. What ever happened to each line having a role?

1st line: ??? (heater-coyle-poms)
2nd line: scoring? (nino-granlund-zucker)
3rd line: ??? (cooke-haula-fontaine)
4th line: shutdown? (veilleux-brodziak-mitchell)

why not something more like:

1st line: scoring 1 (nino-granlund-poms)
2nd line: scoring 2 (heatley-haula-zucker)
3rd line: shutdown 1 (cooke-coyle-michell)
4th line: shutdown 2 (veilleux-brodziak-fontaine/rupp)

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
It wasn't a dump in. Backstrom decided to shoot and was probably looking for a deflection.

And three players out with the exact same injury is not random dumb luck.

There truly is a strong correlation between the way our guys are encouraged to play and the injuries (and amount of injuries) they sustain.

That is on the coach.

Do you watch other teams? What you think no other teams top players block shots?

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Blocking shots is a part of hockey but we are either:

Doing it too much
Our guys need to get shot blocking guards
Too injury prone to do so

J22*

Blocking shots is a part of hockey but we are either:

Doing it too much
Our guys need to get shot blocking guards
Too injury prone to do so

The Wild are 17th in the NHL in blocked shots. Koivu has 24 blocks in 44 games, he isnt exactly throwing himself in front of a bunch of pucks each night.

There doesnt always need to be somebody to blame when something goes wrong.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
This is what I was thinking as well. What ever happened to each line having a role?

1st line: ??? (heater-coyle-poms)
2nd line: scoring? (nino-granlund-zucker)
3rd line: ??? (cooke-haula-fontaine)
4th line: shutdown? (veilleux-brodziak-mitchell)

why not something more like:

1st line: scoring 1 (nino-granlund-poms)
2nd line: scoring 2 (heatley-haula-zucker)
3rd line: shutdown 1 (cooke-coyle-michell)
4th line: shutdown 2 (veilleux-brodziak-fontaine/rupp)

Maybe that's the point, opponent don't know what to do? :dunno:

Edit: But i have to say, that i like kid line. They have speed and they can score and they know how to move the puck.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So Koivu is technically out for two months; (1) with the injury (2) for the Olympics (if he comes back in time)

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
If they hadn't done the surgery, it sounds like he would've been back around right after the Olympic break. By operating on him, the Wild may get him back a few games earlier, but this was the only way he even stood a fighting chance to go to Sochi.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Eh, I know other players on other teams do the same thing we do. For whatever reason our players seem to be the ones getting seriously injured a little more often, especially key players.

It just makes no sense?!?!

There's a reason for everything, so what is this strange reason?!?!

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Why not...

Coyle Granlund Pominville
Zucker Haula Nino
Cooke Brodziak Fontaine/Mitchell

I really don't like Coyle at center and it's not worth it to put him in a spot that he is very noticeably less effective at just because Koivu is out. We need as many players playing in the best possible position to succeed as possible.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I realize Zucker and Haula are far from proven, but Coyle has had chances as top line RW, #2 center, and #3 center. He has 4 goals and 12 points in 32 games. He is 229th in points per game among forwards. He should not be in the NHL right now.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I realize Zucker and Haula are far from proven, but Coyle has had chances as top line RW, #2 center, and #3 center. He has 4 goals and 12 points in 32 games. He is 229th in points per game among forwards. He should not be in the NHL right now.

I'll agree that he shouldn't be centering the top line but I don't know how you can say he shouldn't be in the NHL with the amount of injuries they have.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'll agree that he shouldn't be centering the top line but I don't know how you can say he shouldn't be in the NHL with the amount of injuries they have.

Yes, right now he should probably be #3 RW. But he shouldn't have been up after struggling for a month between #2 center at top line RW.

I would rather take Dany Heatley on the top line RW spot over Charlie Coyle.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy

For how long have i said this now.

And this is not ment as bashing on Coyle.

Its more a sort of bashing against people who say that Zucker isnt nearly ready for NHL duty while they talk Coyle up in the sky.

When the fact is that Coyle have been getting all the chances in the world.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Another thing to consider:

Coyle has 4g 8a in 32gp and is -9. He gets 17.5 minutes of ice time a night and frequently was in the top six. Not to mention 2.5 minutes of PP time per night.

Fontaine has 8g 4a in 37gp and is +6. He gets just under 12 minutes of ice time a night almost always in the bottom six and has less than 1 minute of PP time per night.

Why hasn't Fontaine got Coyle's chances?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Another thing to consider:

Coyle has 4g 8a in 32gp and is -9. He gets 17.5 minutes of ice time a night and frequently was in the top six. Not to mention 2.5 minutes of PP time per night.

Fontaine has 8g 4a in 37gp and is +6. He gets just under 12 minutes of ice time a night almost always in the bottom six and has less than 1 minute of PP time per night.

Why hasn't Fontaine got Coyle's chances?

Because he is big and strong on the boards. Same reason he was brought up initially last year.

Wild don't seem to care he cant get the puck towards the net or create any offense.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
I LOVE what Wes Walz said about Mikko Koivu and I agree with every word he said. It was on beyond the Pond first segment for those who want to listen to it, very well said about Mikko!

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I LOVE what Wes Walz said about Mikko Koivu and I agree with every word he said. It was on beyond the Pond first segment for those who want to listen to it, very well said about Mikko!

What did he say?

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Because he is big and strong on the boards. Same reason he was brought up initially last year.

Wild don't seem to care he cant get the puck towards the net or create any offense.

Being big doesnt automaticly make you good enough, even if that seems to be what the coachingstaff thinks.

Dont get me wrong, i would love CC to become a legit powerforward as soon as possible, but he isnt yet. And with all his chances he should start putting up somewhat consistent numbers asap.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013

If the other option's for that #3 center is Broziak and Haula, i think Coyle is the winner..

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
If the other option's for that #3 center is Broziak and Haula, i think Coyle is the winner..

I wouldn't be so sure. Coyle is a better fit at the wing, while Haula is seemingly more of a natural C.

What I'd really like to see:

Nino - Granlund - Pominville
Heatley - Brodziak - Fontaine
Zucker - Haula - Coyle
Veilleux - Mitchell - Bulmer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad