Injury Report: Mikko "Kaptain" Koivu (Jan 6: Ankle Surgery, Out At Least One Month)

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Maybe, but TSK doesn't like Koivu. I still remember some 'brilliant' trade ideas.

The Wild have been getting outshot a lot lately, and not just by a couple of shots but 10 or more. That doesn't bode well in the long term and I would personally not get attached to any line combination until the situation changes.

I completely agree. If wild would outshoot their opponents and win games, I wouldn't be this concerned. Lets see if injection of Koivu & Spurgy helps.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I completely agree. If wild would outshoot their opponents and win games, I wouldn't be this concerned. Lets see if injection of Koivu & Spurgy helps.

Generally the return of two of your best three possession players will help.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Possession in this case doesn't equal offensive chances.

I think I would love Parise and Koivu if they made about half as much as they do. As it is, I want them to play an offensive style and they want to grind, so it bugs me.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Possession in this case doesn't equal offensive chances.

I think I would love Parise and Koivu if they made about half as much as they do. As it is, I want them to play an offensive style and they want to grind, so it bugs me.

Honestly, I don't mind that they grind. Even with their style they are going to put up .75-.85 points per game, wear down the other team and can keep other top lines in check.

The problem we have, is that while they do what they do. Our team than depends on its secondary scoring. Which for us happens to be a bunch of young inconsistent kids. When they are on, the team looks great(last night). When they are off, they look like ****.(Dallas).

As they gain consistency, the team will become dangerous.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Hockey is a game of counters. You can built a super-quick, score on the break, team, and you could run into a team in the playoffs that completely neutralizes you.

In those situations, having a forward line that eats up a lot of possession in the offensive zone and grinds out goals could be want gets you to win a series.

IMO, an ideal group of forwards would have:

1. One line of dynamic offensive talent.
2. One line of hyper-fast, score on the break players.
3. One line of strong, puck possession, cycle players.
4. One line of fast, physical checkers.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't think it's Koivu he's worried about so much as what Yeo is gonna do with the lineup once Koivu comes back. All it took was Parise coming back and we've got 4 brand new lines. Granted, we won tonight, but the point remains valid.

This is exactly why I'm iffy about Koivu coming back. Right now the team has been chugging along fine. Some moments where there are growing pains but if Koivu comes back is Yeo going to automatically put him back on the first line? How will our lines look? I like having Haula's speed, tenacity and offensive abilities.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This is exactly why I'm iffy about Koivu coming back. Right now the team has been chugging along fine. Some moments where there are growing pains but if Koivu comes back is Yeo going to automatically put him back on the first line? How will our lines look? I like having Haula's speed, tenacity and offensive abilities.

I'm as big of a Haula fan as anybody, but implying that you'd rather have him in the lineup over a healthy Koivu is ridiculous. His "speed, tenacity and offensive abilities" have produced 3 points (yes, playing mostly with 4th liners, but still). Yes, when Koivu comes back, he will automatically go to the 1st line (or perhaps 2nd, depending on what they decide between him and Granlund) and that's exactly where he should go.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

With the exception of last night and Nashville, this team that has been Chugging along "just fine" has little to do with the forwards. Kuemper has been the Little Engine that Could, dragging the rest of the box cars along with him.

There is nothing to be "iffy" about. When your most important forward comes back from injury. You put him in the line up.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
You hate Koivu. We get it.

He'll be the captain of this team as long as he wants. Try to get used to it.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland

This is kind of a meta-discussion, but why is there so much hate on Koivu among Minnesota fans? Is it because he doesn't produce enough to be an elite first line center? Too surly and grumpy for a captain? Not good with media? Not from Minnesota?

Hating on Koivu is surprisingly prevalent on these boards and outside of them on Twitter and StarTribune comments (which are just ridiculous, shouldn't be read).

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
With the exception of last night and Nashville, this team that has been Chugging along "just fine" has little to do with the forwards. Kuemper has been the Little Engine that Could, dragging the rest of the box cars along with him.

It has a lot to do with the forwards; they are responding well with having two key players being injured. Most of this board thought the Wild were going to be terrible when Parise than Koivu went down, but this team rebounded. It helped that Kuemper has put together his game and has playing tremendously but the forwards are actually scoring goals and this team is actually playing well.

There is nothing to be "iffy" about. When your most important forward comes back from injury. You put him in the line up.

The question is where, though? Do you insert him back into the PP, onto the 1st line? With how well this team is doing (7 wins, 3 losses) do you want to disrupt the chemistry by forcing the lines again?

We're not talking about captaincy. We're talking about where Koivu is going to be slated.

This is kind of a meta-discussion, but why is there so much hate on Koivu among Minnesota fans? Is it because he doesn't produce enough to be an elite first line center? Too surly and grumpy for a captain? Not good with media? Not from Minnesota?

The fact he's not a game breaking center but is getting paid like one. The fact he can't seem to stay healthy. The fact that there has only been two consistent in the past 5-6 years; Fletcher and Koivu when this team has failed.

Koivu is a good player, don't get me wrong but he's not an offensive force and the fact that people are gripping about how grindy this team is, then not realizing we have grindy players because that's how Fletcher built this team and we have the ultimate grinder as the 1st line center can rub some fans the wrong way.

Also the fact that Koivu has had a lot of difficulties with linemates other than Brunette and Mitts, despite who we've brought in.

I'm as big of a Haula fan as anybody, but implying that you'd rather have him in the lineup over a healthy Koivu is ridiculous. His "speed, tenacity and offensive abilities" have produced 3 points (yes, playing mostly with 4th liners, but still). Yes, when Koivu comes back, he will automatically go to the 1st line (or perhaps 2nd, depending on what they decide between him and Granlund) and that's exactly where he should go.

I'd rather have Haula over Brodziak on the fourth line. And that's where Brodziak is probably going to play unless they switch Coyle back to wing, which is another possibility.

But why does Koivu have to automatically go back to the 1st line?

Can't we keep the two lines and the fourth and put Parise and Koivu and Brodziak line.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It has a lot to do with the forwards; they are responding well with having two key players being injured. Most of this board thought the Wild were going to be terrible when Parise than Koivu went down, but this team rebounded. It helped that Kuemper has put together his game and has playing tremendously but the forwards are actually scoring goals and this team is actually playing well.

The question is where, though? Do you insert him back into the PP, onto the 1st line? With how well this team is doing (7 wins, 3 losses) do you want to disrupt the chemistry by forcing the lines again?

Yes, you absolutely put him back on the 1st line with Parise. Coyle can't win a faceoff to save his life. You don't want the 1st line constantly trying to get the puck back after every faceoff.

And you also put him right back on the 1st PP(hopefully at the expense of Heatley). Our PP has been chugging along at 5% since he's been out.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
You can do that kind of cherry picking with every player in the league stonedkoala. All we know is Koivu is pretty damn good 1st line center and that this team is much better when he's on the lineup. After Suter he is the most important player. I guess Capitals should get rid of Backtrom and Ovie because they are the ones who have been there +5 years and their team still sucks...

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
But why does Koivu have to automatically go back to the 1st line?

Because he is our best center. Heck, he's been our best forward this year. Whatever line Koivu is on, is the 1st line. It will play the most minutes, it will play toughest matchups. And it will in all likely hood score the most points.

I don't know why that is so tough to understand, you can write the lines in what ever order you want on the internet. If it makes you feel better feel free to write it like this.
Zucker-Coyle-Heatley
Nino-Granlund-Pominville
Parise-Koivu-Fontaine

Guess what. The Koivu line is still the 1st line.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Hating on Koivu is surprisingly prevalent on these boards and outside of them on Twitter and StarTribune comments (which are just ridiculous, shouldn't be read).

TSK is not a Minnesota fan, he's a Texas fan who is a fan of the Wild.

I don't think there's much hate for Koivu in Minnesota at all actually. Some of us just think he's a bit misused by Yeo is all. Not a problem with Koivu, a problem with Yeo.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
There's a lot of things that he gets blamed for that aren't his fault:

- he got a ton of hype which he couldn't live up to, which is on management and the media
- he had his peak years and captaincy on a crappy team, which is on the GM
- he gets a huge paycheck that he doesn't quite live up to, which is on his agent and the GM
- he kept getting injured every year, which is just bad luck
- he is slowing down, which is just time doing its thing
- he gets a ton of ice time at the expense of kids, which is on the coach

And the legit criticisms:

- he never developed any wrinkles or new skills in his game
- he constantly passes up shooting opportunities
- he hasn't shown as much creativity as he should on the PP

Last edited:

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
I wonder why Parise and Pominville dodge the criticism then, it seems Koivu is doing the best points wise off the all.. especially Parise

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Yeah. Only a few guys not on ELC´s are playing good enough to earn their contracts. (Suter is a beast)
Then again even Crosby would probably only score at ppg pace if he played here.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I think Koivu does a fine job, and has. He's also on a good contract for what he brings.

He could shoot more at times, and try to get to the open ice a little more, but our current coaching staff does not seem to encourage that. It's too bad because he has good hands and a good wrister. Ah well.

Suter has been great. Pominville has been very good. Parise has been ok.

I really don't get the Koivu hate. Imo, our team is always worse off when he is not on the ice. Ideally he would be a 2c, and center a line that would be a strong multi-purpose line, but again, our current coaching staff makes these decisions. He's not a bad 1c however, just not ideal.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I think Koivu does a fine job, and has. He's also on a good contract for what he brings.

He could shoot more at times, and try to get to the open ice a little more, but our current coaching staff does not seem to encourage that. It's too bad because he has good hands and a good wrister. Ah well.

Suter has been great. Pominville has been very good. Parise has been ok.

I really don't get the Koivu hate. Imo, our team is always worse off when he is not on the ice. Ideally he would be a 2c, and center a line that would be a strong multi-purpose line, but again, our current coaching staff makes these decisions. He's not a bad 1c however, just not ideal.

More Koivu defenders should make well thought out arguments like this rather than attack other posters and players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad