Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev 9th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Jake Bean is pretty good offensively and Juolevi is probably better polished defensively.......I'm thinking he thinks he's a cross between the two. just saying

Not disagreeing but I think the scouting on Sergachev is his offensive potential is highest. So, it is possible in 5 years, Sergachev may have the best numbers among his draft peers. Of course, I don't have a crystal ball, so who knows for sure?

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
weber will teach serga how get more power from is slapper .. ;)

but seriously im not sure he get 9 games ... too many dman, but could be nice for him to see how the game is play at that level. probably make him understand more about what it take to be a force at the next level. he have all the tools in the world. fischer-brown-serga ... god windsor gonna be a BIG team.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Wasn't Sergachev thought to be the best Dman in the OHL last season? Of course, I can't tell whether his defensive play is or isn't at NHL level, but he already has good offensive instincts.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Do you think it's possible he makes the team, only to be returned to his junior team late may to take part in the Memorial Cup? (Good chance the Canadiens wont still be in playoff at that time...)

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Do you think it's possible he makes the team, only to be returned to his junior team late may to take part in the Memorial Cup? (Good chance the Canadiens wont still be in playoff at that time...)

I believe there's a cutoff date in early January for returning to the CHL. Unless he's really struggling in December, if he makes the team he's here for the year.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Wasn't Sergachev thought to be the best Dman in the OHL last season? Of course, I can't tell whether his defensive play is or isn't at NHL level, but he already has good offensive instincts.

I think it was really between Sergachev and Juolevi on who was the best Dman available. Sergachev was sen as the most NHL ready and having the highest potential while Juolevi was seen as the more stable "sure thing" in the draft.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Sergachev has his focus set on being in the best shape of his young life for the Habs training camp, I wouldn't count him out of the running for a permanent spot in the Habs defence corps rotation. A rotation which allows for players that exhibit great play to move up into higher pairings, so consistency of great playing could see him playing alongside Weber at some point this season. His play against McCarron whose a huge body ready for NHL play, shows he could handle the bigger NHLers defensively, which in itself says keep him on the big team, even as a 7th Dman ready to insert on the PP where he excels.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
its just unnescessry to put a young 18 years old in the mtl jungle ... we already have a very decent dman crop ... let him develop one more year in NA, getting stronger, work on the little details ... will be very hard to work on that kind of stuff in the big, where hes gonna be the shinny new savior ... montreal fans are fu****g crazy. hes a diamond in the rough, give him time to polish a bit.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think it was really between Sergachev and Juolevi on who was the best Dman available. Sergachev was sen as the most NHL ready and having the highest potential while Juolevi was seen as the more stable "sure thing" in the draft.

I laughed when Benning drafted Juolevi. He had this pouty look on him. He just went up on the podium and says "Vancouver picks Olli Juolevi." He was either in a bad mood because there was a complaint filed against him OR that after Columbus picked Dubois, it ruined his plan (he probably thought CBJ would take Puuljurarvi and EDM would take Sergachev and he'd take Dubois, which apparently VAN was high on). So it came off like he was settling for Juolevi. It just made me laugh.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I watched Sergachev a bunch in the OHL this past year. I have Kitchener Rangers season tickets. The Rangers and Spitfires played in the playoffs. Luckily I was able to watch Sergachev, Juolevi and Chychryn numerous times. The Habs drafted the guy with the highest ceiling and even though he was named the leagues top defenceman he is pretty raw still. Another year of junior will do him some good. That being said I would not be upset if he earned a nine game tryout with the Habs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I watched Sergachev a bunch in the OHL this past year. I have Kitchener Rangers season tickets. The Rangers and Spitfires played in the playoffs. Luckily I was able to watch Sergachev, Juolevi and Chychryn numerous times. The Habs drafted the guy with the highest ceiling and even though he was named the leagues top defenceman he is pretty raw still. Another year of junior will do him some good. That being said I would not be upset if he earned a nine game tryout with the Habs.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him this year, not sure he gets a 9 game tryout or not as the Habs haven't done that very often that I can think of. But a trip to the Memorial Cup should be a lot of fun to see how he does.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
its just unnescessry to put a young 18 years old in the mtl jungle ... we already have a very decent dman crop ... let him develop one more year in NA, getting stronger, work on the little details ... will be very hard to work on that kind of stuff in the big, where hes gonna be the shinny new savior ... montreal fans are fu****g crazy. hes a diamond in the rough, give him time to polish a bit.

I see it differently. A guy who already won the OHL D-man of the year award over 18 and 19 yo players, doesn't need to go back and play against the same players, minus the 19s and adding last year's 15s.

He needs to play in the pros and learn to get to another level. Since AHL is not allowed, let it be NHL, since his body is strong enough. Will he make mistakes? Yes, but he gets them out of the way one year faster, and then the Habs can try to make a Cup run next year with Sergachev a regular in the top-6 and maybe PP, and Beaulieu playing 23 minutes per game.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

I agree.

He is probably physically further along than most guys his age, but the mental aspect of an 82 game NHL season could wear on him at some point. When that point comes, he will have trouble finding ice time on this team.

If he impresses, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a 10 game taste, but I don't feel prepared to take the full season risk and have him lose out on some development time.

Soon2B25

Jul 2, 2016
I see it differently. A guy who already won the OHL D-man of the year award over 18 and 19 yo players, doesn't need to go back and play against the same players, minus the 19s and adding last year's 15s.

He needs to play in the pros and learn to get to another level. Since AHL is not allowed, let it be NHL, since his body is strong enough. Will he make mistakes? Yes, but he gets them out of the way one year faster, and then the Habs can try to make a Cup run next year with Sergachev a regular in the top-6 and maybe PP, and Beaulieu playing 23 minutes per game.

I agree 100%. Scouts raved at the combine how NHL ready he is, physically.
Also important to emphasize, as you did, that he was the youngest ever winner of the OHL Max Kaminsky award, younger than: Ekblad, Ryan Ellis, Muzzin, Doughty, Marc Staal, Brian Campbell, Brian Berard, Chris Pronger.
I know an OHL scout that said he is just as ready as Ekblad.
All of this in the context that he has only spent about a year speaking English...unbelievable.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
For sure and I'd say he's better than Subban at the same age and projects to be a better NHL'er

definitely better at the same age but I don't know if i'd say he projects to be better.

Dude's tools are awesome but if he projects to be better than PK than we're talking about Doughty level stuff. I thought Button was way too generous saying Sergachev could be a Norris winner or in the discussion but after seeing him he definitely has the potential but there's still a long road of actually getting to that level. I don't think he'll be quite that good but the limit's through the roof. Fingers crossed. Does seem a little too good to be true at #9. I think he's at least a solid top pairing guy.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
definitely better at the same age but I don't know if i'd say he projects to be better.

Dude's tools are awesome but if he projects to be better than PK than we're talking about Doughty level stuff. I thought Button was way too generous saying Sergachev could be a Norris winner or in the discussion but after seeing him he definitely has the potential but there's still a long road of actually getting to that level. I don't think he'll be quite that good but the limit's through the roof. Fingers crossed. Does seem a little too good to be true at #9. I think he's at least a solid top pairing guy.

If his name had been Michael Shugar he might have gone 3rd or 4th. I had him a close 4th, a hair behind Dubois, and I was even wondering to myself if I was overplaying the QC angle on Dubois.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him this year, not sure he gets a 9 game tryout or not as the Habs haven't done that very often that I can think of. But a trip to the Memorial Cup should be a lot of fun to see how he does.

Isn't Latendresse the last guy to get a 9 games tryout ?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong because i'm absolutely not sure of this :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad