Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev 9th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
LOL

That video made me laugh!

When he climbs to the stage and accepts the letter from Elis and towers above him and then turns to the camera with his serious look and square jaw and huge shoulders... made me think of Ivan Drago in the scene of the press conference with Rocky.

Ha ha!!

He will brake them!!

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
tbh i have a feeling beans gonna be the best D in this draft! just a feeling

He could very well end up being the best offensively. But, I don't think he has the frame to be a dominant player like Sergachev can be.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
He's probably NHL ready now, but I don't want MT, Daigneault and Lacroix near that kid.

Hopefully, they all get canned this year, then bring him up for 2017-2018 with Memorial Cup experience.

If Lefebvre is promoted, we're doomed :help:

bloudy

Feb 12, 2015
East Vancouver
I'm hoping that he is THAT GOOD, that he is the reason we shipped out PK.

Maybe, hopefully, Weber provides technical, positional, grounded linemate mentorship to a blossoming puck-mover - let's him feel safe to play his own game.

For the love of everything, I'm hoping this is the reason. I'd like to have Sergachev develop another year, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing flashes of brilliance next year.

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012
I'd still rather have Sergachev - Subban instead of Sergachev - Weber. Drafting Sergachev didn't make PK expendable.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Subban is not the type of player that can mentor young defencemen. Subban plays the way Subban plays, it just doesn't work.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
List of 1st year draft eligible that won the Max Kaminsky Trophy (OHL’s Most Outstanding Defenceman of the Year):

Craig Hartsburg (1977)
John Slaney (1990)
Chris Pronger (1993)
Bryan Berard (1995)
Drew Dougthy (2008)
Ryan Ellis (2009)
Aaron Ekblad (2014)

Pretty elite company to be with.
Ryan Ellis (5'10") stayed two more year in OHL and played 64 games in AHL over the following two years.

Bryan Berard (6'1") stayed one more year in OHL and became the best offensive D-Men of NYI next season.

John Slaney took three years before playing some NHL games. Only played 268 NHL games and flipped between NHL/AHL/IHL.

Craig Hartsburg played one more year in OHL before going in WHA and NHL following year.

Pronger, Doughty and Ekblad all played the first year they were drafted.
Now these three d-men were top-3 so I guess their team needed them now.
With Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu and Barberio we are OK on the LH side.

We will see at pre-season.
If he takes a spot we will have to look to trade Emelin for the expansion draft.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That has to be false. They had no idea Sergachev would be there at 9. Bergevin isn't that stupid.

All this hyping on Sergachev, he has to be the next Bobby Orr.

Bergevin must have known this too, cause you know, he's a genius for knowing he'd be there at the slot he got him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
All this hyping on Sergachev, he has to be the next Bobby Orr.

Bergevin must have known this too, cause you know, he's a genius for knowing he'd be there at the slot he got him.

I don't know about Bergevin, but when I heard PL Dubois go 3rd, I told my family as were listening on TSN Radio that we were going to get Sergachev at #9 and that I hope we don't trade up from 9th to 4th by giving up other assets.

It went EXACTLY as I expected.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know about Bergevin, but when I heard PL Dubois go 3rd, I told my family as were listening on TSN Radio that we were going to get Sergachev at #9 and that I hope we don't trade up from 9th to 4th by giving up other assets.

Well, that's YOU. I take it you're managing the team from your couch? ;)

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval

wouldn't have minded the player selected 4th overall though

Chet-Nick

Feb 28, 2005
Ontario
Haven't read every response. Sergachev was the youngest defenseman to ever win the OHL's Max Kaminsky Trophy. Given he arrived straight from Russia (language, culture and style of hockey). I'd say that was quite an accomplishment.

Most mock drafts had Mikhail ranked between 8th - 10th. Not as if Bergevin went off the board on this pick. The Canadiens needed more puck moving depth on defense.

Scouting analysis was consistent > http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312213

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What does this even mean??

What it says. Bergevin had zero way of knowing Sergachev would fall to the Habs. Heck, who predicted that Dubois would go where he did? Not even McKenzie, so let's not have posters here come in and pretend they are fortune tellers.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What it says. Bergevin had zero way of knowing Sergachev would fall to the Habs. Heck, who predicted that Dubois would go where he did? Not even McKenzie, so let's not have posters here come in and pretend they are fortune tellers.

What is your point?????

What does it matter whether MB knew Sergachev would be there or not. He made the trade after he already had Sergachev......

Oct 22, 2012
Anyone hear Marinaro on TSN1050? He called Sergachev, "not the best offensively, not the best defensively, something of a hybrid" ? :laugh:

Yes, best OHL d man who prides himeself on being great AT BOTH is not the best at either of it. Painful, painful stuff to listen to.

Damn disgraceful that these are the guys on the "top" sports shows. They care more about creating drama, and getting the viewers than telling the truth. Its friggen pandering to the masses who love the drama and the entertainment value.

Nothing new with TSN I know, but come on. Guy spews it out all year about the habs free fall, asks the tough questions during some pressers, now all of a sudden loves Weber, and believes that it already was worth it to trade PK despite not 1 damn game being played.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Anyone hear Marinaro on TSN1050? He called Sergachev, "not the best offensively, not the best defensively, something of a hybrid" ? :laugh:

Yes, best OHL d man who prides himeself on being great AT BOTH is not the best at either of it. Painful, painful stuff to listen to.

Damn disgraceful that these are the guys on the "top" sports shows. They care more about creating drama, and getting the viewers than telling the truth. Its friggen pandering to the masses who love the drama and the entertainment value.

Nothing new with TSN I know, but come on. Guy spews it out all year about the habs free fall, asks the tough questions during some pressers, now all of a sudden loves Weber, and believes that it already was worth it to trade PK despite not 1 damn game being played.

Well in his defense, he's got no idea who the kid is or how he plays. Making stuff up is pretty much his only option ! ;) .

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I'd still rather have Sergachev - Subban instead of Sergachev - Weber. Drafting Sergachev didn't make PK expendable.
Of course it didn't, but getting him at #9 was fortunate. The D, especially the left D, needs bolstering. Markov is near the end of the trail and Beaulieu is not an all-star. Who knows what Juulsen will amount to?

Interestingly, most fans assumed the Habs would draft a forward. I'm glad they took Sergachev instead. Their leading prospects at forward (McCarron, Scherbak, etc.) may work out but there was no outstanding Dman in the pipeline.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Jake Bean is pretty good offensively and Juolevi is probably better polished defensively.......I'm thinking he thinks he's a cross between the two. just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad