Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev 9th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Doesn't Markov prefer playing with and play better, with a Left shot on the right side of him? Or do we think Serg will be moved to the left side?

Thats on the powerplay. 5 on 5 its always better to put D-men on their good side.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
He played 19 games with the Habs that year. Not sure if they had the '9 game' rule back in the 99-00 season though. Or maybe they did and the Habs just didn't care if a year of his contract got burned.

I had to look it up, in my head I thought it was just under the radar for the "rule" but the latter part of your sentence is accurate, they burned a year returning him to junior. I remember they needed PP help and he was just too slick to not try at that time.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/habs-ribeiro-suffers-setback/article25452418/?service=mobile

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
What's Sergachev's "good side", considering he just won top OHL defenseman as a RD?

Whatever his good side is, just make sure you're on it!

pug-playing-the-drums-gif.gif

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Hello there Mr. Thorough, Very Thorough.

I'm quite well aware of what he's accomplished, and if you'll read elsewhere, am actually quite a fan of the pick.

But two Norris finalist appearances by the time a player is 26, and a Norris by 24 doesn't leave much room in which to be projected as ''better.'' Perennial Norris finalist, multiple time winner is pretty much it, and even if ''he would've been a top 5 pick if it weren't for this, or that,'' those players aren't available that often.

You are comparing a draft pick to an established nhl player.

My argument is that at the same age serge is very likely better than PK was at the same age.

Your argument is bizarre.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I can't compare PK at the same age since I didn't see him all that much, but given he won the Kaminsky, I guess that says it all. I can't reiterate this enough though, as good as he is right now, he didn't start skating until 9 yr old. That still blows me away. I think that should indicate he has a good possibility to project better than players who were on par at the same age. So, given the company he was in winning the Kaminsky in his first year, at his age....... further, first year on NA ice and, again, only having skated since 9 yr old. It's scary to think where this player projects. Player development isn't linear, but for those who think he should be as good as PK, it's hard to argue against them. This kid's hockey player age is much younger than most of his contemporaries and he still looks years ahead. His potential is really hard to imagine.

Put it another way. This kid has played hockey for get this: 9 years. And he came from a very different place with no family perhaps and won the best ohl d man award at age 17.

He's gifted. Pure and simple. Monster pick.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Put it another way. This kid has played hockey for get this: 9 years. And he came from a very different place with no family perhaps and won the best ohl d man award at age 17.

He's gifted. Pure and simple. Monster pick.

Technically speaking, he's actually only been playing hockey for 8 years and he's this good. He just turned 18 and has played yet this year. ;)

My only worry with Sergachev is that this was an aberration year where we was playing beyond his means. After seeing him at camp it calmed my worries quite a hit and hopefully he'll continue on this track.

Such a silly rule that he can't play in the AHL but can in the NHL. He seems to good for junior and probably not ready for NHL. Then again, he won't be ruined by SL.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Technically speaking, he's actually only been playing hockey for 8 years and he's this good. He just turned 18 and has played yet this year. ;)

My only worry with Sergachev is that this was an aberration year where we was playing beyond his means. After seeing him at camp it calmed my worries quite a hit and hopefully he'll continue on this track.

Such a silly rule that he can't play in the AHL but can in the NHL. He seems to good for junior and probably not ready for NHL. Then again, he won't be ruined by SL.

That rule is set because of an agreement between the NHL and CHL. The AHL is just following its parent league. The rule is a bit annoying, but it's not silly. It's there to protect the viability of the premiere development league in the world. It has to do with the level of competition in the CHL, if more players were to leave at 18 for the AHL, it would drive down the competition in the CHL and prospects wouldn't grow at the same rate playing against players under 18 rather than players under 20. It also has to do with attendance as the product on the ice would be more diluted.

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
A couple more pages and Sergachev will be better than Lidstrom / Bourque / Orr.

I like this.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
That rule is set because of an agreement between the NHL and CHL. The AHL is just following its parent league. The rule is a bit annoying, but it's not silly. It's there to protect the viability of the premiere development league in the world. It has to do with the level of competition in the CHL, if more players were to leave at 18 for the AHL, it would drive down the competition in the CHL and prospects wouldn't grow at the same rate playing against players under 18 rather than players under 20. It also has to do with attendance as the product on the ice would be more diluted.

I understand the premise but if the league is stunting development of the players then it's a bit counterintuitive. Not saying for all players but for a select few who are no longer challenged by junior and not quite ready for NHL there's a problem.

Besides players will skip directly to the NHL like Galchenyuk, Ekblad etc. if they're that good and leave the CHL behind. They should have exceptions for exceptional players. How much more does Marner have to prove or Strome? Wouldn't they be better served playing in an intermediate league like the AHL? Sometimes I think European players have an advantage playing in men's leagues than some of our juniors gave playing with boys.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I understand the premise but if the league is stunting development of the players then it's a bit counterintuitive. Not saying for all players but for a select few who are no longer challenged by junior and not quite ready for NHL there's a problem.

Besides players will skip directly to the NHL like Galchenyuk, Ekblad etc. if they're that good and leave the CHL behind. They should have exceptions for exceptional players. How much more does Marner have to prove or Strome? Wouldn't they be better served playing in an intermediate league like the AHL? Sometimes I think European players have an advantage playing in men's leagues than some of our juniors gave playing with boys.

I completely agree.

The rule does too much to protect the CHL and not enough to protect the development of individual prospects.

I think one of the potential solutions may be to just change the draft age to 19 and completely scrap the 20 rule for the AHL... Sure players would have to stay an extra year but atleast a lot wouldn't be stuck there past the draft.

There would be a lot more stability in drafting too... That being said, it negatively impacts generational players like McDavid or Crosby who'd be more than ready for the NHL and you might see a lot more players pulling a Matthews in their draft year.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I completely agree.

The rule does too much to protect the CHL and not enough to protect the development of individual prospects.

I think one of the potential solutions may be to just change the draft age to 19 and completely scrap the 20 rule for the AHL... Sure players would have to stay an extra year but atleast a lot wouldn't be stuck there past the draft.

There would be a lot more stability in drafting too... That being said, it negatively impacts generational players like McDavid or Crosby who'd be more than ready for the NHL and you might see a lot more players pulling a Matthews in their draft year.

I agree with the premise but you'll never get the nhlpa to agree to an increase in age and no court would uphold that ruling.

I think by simply applying a exceptional basis rider to bypass the rule and you'll be fine. Parameters around where they were drafted, dominance in CHL etc to get an exception for them to play in the A if not quite NHL ready.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I agree with the premise but you'll never get the nhlpa to agree to an increase in age and no court would uphold that ruling.

I think by simply applying a exceptional basis rider to bypass the rule and you'll be fine. Parameters around where they were drafted, dominance in CHL etc to get an exception for them to play in the A if not quite NHL ready.

I was thinking along those lines too..

Maybe top 10 picks should be exempt from the rule, as that is meatiest part of the draft and usually where it starts to tail off.

The fact a kid like Marner still isn't eligible for the AHL is a joke, its going to have to be NHL for him this season.. And if he struggles then what?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
5 on 5

Beaulieu Weber
Markov Sergachev
Barberio/Emelin Petry
Barberio/Emelin Pateryn

PP1

Weber Markov

PP2

Petry Sergachev

Shutdown pairings/Shorten the bench to protect lead at the end of the game

Beaulieu/Barberio/Emelin Weber
Markov Petry

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Maybe top 10 picks should be exempt from the rule, as that is meatiest part of the draft and usually where it starts to tail off.

The fact a kid like Marner still isn't eligible for the AHL is a joke, its going to have to be NHL for him this season.. And if he struggles then what?

That would be kinda fitting. The CHL would never agree to it though. Having future NHL stars sells a lot of tickets.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Unfortunately, I expect Mikhail to be sent back to juniors. He doe's have the size/weight to play in the NHL but there isn't that many players that make the jump from junior to NHL. If he does's make the team this year, I would be extatic!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I'm surprised a player/agent has brought this up sooner. Not just from a development standpoint but also a monetary one. Make a lot more money in the A than the CHL.

Can't imagine this won't be addressed eventually.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
That would be kinda fitting. The CHL would never agree to it though. Having future NHL stars sells a lot of tickets.

At the end of the day it's not be a huge factor what the CHL wants, when you factor in the money that the NHL and NHLPA have behind them in comparison.

They could have some sort of transfer agreement where the NHL/PA agrees to give the CHL "x" amount as compensation, or it could even be the NHL team itself that pays into the compensation program.

There is lots of ways to do it... And just to be clear I completely agree with your point that it would be a non-starter from the CHL perspective, I just think there is more than enough solutions out there to make it work for both sides one way or another..

Another point is that in any given year, almost half the top 10 isn't even coming out of the CHL but rather Europe or the US.. Then there is also the point that even though they are top-10 doesn't necessarily guarantee they are going straight to the AHL either.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Don't need an exceptional basis rider.

There is a simple and clean way to deal with this.

Anyone 18 or over can be drafted ,but the three year ELC starts with the year drafted. No sliding.

People will only draft underage players they think are ready for at least the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino