Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev 9th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
For sure and I'd say he's better than Subban at the same age and projects to be a better NHL'er

I'll agree with you. Might not turn out much "better", but might supply all the reward with less of the risk. I could see him producing about the same amount of points in a 1st pairing role, but being slightly better in his own end.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'll agree with you. Might not turn out much "better", but might supply all the reward with less of the risk. I could see him producing about the same amount of points in a 1st pairing role, but being slightly better in his own end.

That's a pretty high bar to set, considering Subban is a top 5 defenseman in the league.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I watched Sergachev a bunch in the OHL this past year. I have Kitchener Rangers season tickets. The Rangers and Spitfires played in the playoffs. Luckily I was able to watch Sergachev, Juolevi and Chychryn numerous times. The Habs drafted the guy with the highest ceiling and even though he was named the leagues top defenceman he is pretty raw still. Another year of junior will do him some good. That being said I would not be upset if he earned a nine game tryout with the Habs.

Good to have the perspective of someone who has seen him play multiple times. Nothing wrong with having him go back, esp. with a Memorial Cup opportunity and seeing loads of ice time, something Therrien is not likely to afford him.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
definitely better at the same age but I don't know if i'd say he projects to be better.

Dude's tools are awesome but if he projects to be better than PK than we're talking about Doughty level stuff. I thought Button was way too generous saying Sergachev could be a Norris winner or in the discussion but after seeing him he definitely has the potential but there's still a long road of actually getting to that level. I don't think he'll be quite that good but the limit's through the roof. Fingers crossed. Does seem a little too good to be true at #9. I think he's at least a solid top pairing guy.

I can't compare PK at the same age since I didn't see him all that much, but given he won the Kaminsky, I guess that says it all. I can't reiterate this enough though, as good as he is right now, he didn't start skating until 9 yr old. That still blows me away. I think that should indicate he has a good possibility to project better than players who were on par at the same age. So, given the company he was in winning the Kaminsky in his first year, at his age....... further, first year on NA ice and, again, only having skated since 9 yr old. It's scary to think where this player projects. Player development isn't linear, but for those who think he should be as good as PK, it's hard to argue against them. This kid's hockey player age is much younger than most of his contemporaries and he still looks years ahead. His potential is really hard to imagine.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Isn't Latendresse the last guy to get a 9 games tryout ?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong because i'm absolutely not sure of this :laugh:

I'm not completely sure either but I think he never got sent down.

He's a good comparable actually because like sergechev, he was probably physically further along than most kids their age, but did it benefit him in the end? Probably not.

And yes, I'm aware that some of that size that latendresse owned was probably not the most refined, but he was still a big guy.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Stating the obvious here... We can speculate all we want but there's only one thing that will determine if Sergachev plays with the Habs this year and that's how well he does at training camp and in pre-season games.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Perhaps the management really believes Sergie can be has good as PK in a near future we are talking about a.crazy good draft here... but they wont say it out loud and perhaps thats why PK was shopped AFTER the draft... Let's hope it happens. I can see it happening.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Recently, only Ekblad, Jones and Hanafin made it in NHL their first year.

I would argue that there was more space available in their defense then in ours.
Especially for Ekblad and Jones who were 1st pick or expected to be 1st pick.
Hanafin had already played a year in Boston College and the Canes were rebuilding their defense anyway. Besides Hainsey and Liles (traded to Boston later), all their D-Men were 23 or younger (Faulk, Slavin, Pesce and Murphy): 11.6M is SCap on defense (12.7M on nhlnumbers (a notch over NJD)). We are paying more than double...

On the LHD, we have Markov, Emelin and Beaulieu. Add Barberio as a 7th D-Men.

Unless he is clearly better than Emelin and Beaulieu, give him a 9 games stint, send him back to win the CHL D-Men of the league and play in the MC.

I know he could learn with Emelin and Markov but he won't be iced at the same time.
He could very well learn as much with Weber and Petry.

At the end of the day, the pre-season will tell us a lot more.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I truly hope that Mikhail makes the cut at training camp, one has to wonder where the Habs had him rated, I for one thought either Edmonton or Vancouver would take him, I only made one post in reference to him, (before the draft*that's all year for those counting)Happy drunk Habs fan tonight, always a Habs fan though every night & day this lifetime!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: Go Mikhail Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On the RHD, we have Markov, Emelin and Beaulieu. Add Barberio as a 7th D-Men.

Unless he is clearly better than Emelin and Beaulieu, give him a 9 games stint, send him back to win the CHL D-Men of the league and play in the MC.

Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu and Barberio all shoot left.

How are they all RHD?

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Perhaps the management really believes Sergie can be has good as PK in a near future we are talking about a.crazy good draft here... but they wont say it out loud and perhaps thats why PK was shopped AFTER the draft... Let's hope it happens. I can see it happening.
Took three years for PK or Karlsson to be significant D-Men in their team.

Doughty took a year. Jones took two years (improved with more ice time in Columbus). Hedman did it in his 4th year. Weber took three years.

Ekblad has been good but not great in his first two years.

So look for Sergachev to be a top-2/4 in 2018-19 or 2019-20.

Next season will tell us if it is one year in OHL + 2 NHL years or 2 years in OHL + 1 AHL/NHL year.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I can't compare PK at the same age since I didn't see him all that much, but given he won the Kaminsky, I guess that says it all. I can't reiterate this enough though, as good as he is right now, he didn't start skating until 9 yr old. That still blows me away. I think that should indicate he has a good possibility to project better than players who were on par at the same age. So, given the company he was in winning the Kaminsky in his first year, at his age....... further, first year on NA ice and, again, only having skated since 9 yr old. It's scary to think where this player projects. Player development isn't linear, but for those who think he should be as good as PK, it's hard to argue against them. This kid's hockey player age is much younger than most of his contemporaries and he still looks years ahead. His potential is really hard to imagine.

I think I also heard that he's only been playing D for a few years like since he was 14 or something. I could be wrong about that.

I'm just not going to get my hopes too high with him. On paper though he seems like an amazing consolation prize for this season. Knowing what I know about him now after the draft I'd definitely take him over a lot of the forwards taken ahead of him. Upside wise he looks like the 4th best prospect. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
He projects to be a better NHL'er than a Norris winner?

Huh? Arguably the player was the top d man in this year's draft.

The top d man. 17 years old.

If it wasn't for the glut of good forwards in this draft, the player was top 5.

Coming from Russia and learning English in one year. And winning top ohl d man.

This pick is better than chuckie at 3.

It's huge.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I be shocked if hes with the big club this year.
Hes still got work to do before he NHL ready.
Physically hes impressive but laat was exposed at rimes esp in the 1st rd loss ro Kitchener.
Im excited to have in a Habs uni I just dont thi k it happens til next yearor year after.
Id love to be eat crow thou

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

It's huge.

Hello there Mr. Thorough, Very Thorough.

I'm quite well aware of what he's accomplished, and if you'll read elsewhere, am actually quite a fan of the pick.

But two Norris finalist appearances by the time a player is 26, and a Norris by 24 doesn't leave much room in which to be projected as ''better.'' Perennial Norris finalist, multiple time winner is pretty much it, and even if ''he would've been a top 5 pick if it weren't for this, or that,'' those players aren't available that often.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

It's huge.

Despite him looking better than Galchenyuk did at his development camp, I'm not sold on him being better than Galchenyuk long term.

I'd love to be wrong but I just don't think Serge will be a perennial Norris candidate or even a elite D man. Really I'm just basing this on a gut feeling. My gut was over the moon with Galchenyuk. Again I hope I'm wrong

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I truly hope that Mikhail makes the cut at training camp, one has to wonder where the Habs had him rated, I for one thought either Edmonton or Vancouver would take him, I only made one post in reference to him, (before the draft*that's all year for those counting)Happy drunk Habs fan tonight, always a Habs fan though every night & day this lifetime!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: Go Mikhail Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Call him Mischa, the typical diminutive for Mikhail.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
perhaps, I know he went back to the Q the year after he was drafted, but he did play in the NHL at 19 if I recall.

He played 19 games with the Habs that year. Not sure if they had the '9 game' rule back in the 99-00 season though. Or maybe they did and the Habs just didn't care if a year of his contract got burned.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
Doesn't Markov prefer playing with and play better, with a Left shot on the right side of him? Or do we think Serg will be moved to the left side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad