Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
There isn't anything wrong with pointing out Reilly might be a decent third pairing or Poehling may be an serviceable middle 6 center. But when others say we should ignore the rest of the eff ups on the team because of a couple small bright spots that they're out of line.

I don't think that you have to ignore the bad parts to see certain nice points

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Reilly is the second coming of Beaulieu. Not quite the same, but theyre similar in the sense that both suck defensively and are good skaters in a pretty big body. Reilly is too risky for what he is. If he was putting up 40 points a game, his mistakes would be fine- but instead we have a bottom pairing defenseman walking out infront of his own net and coughing the puck up, and getting walked repeatedly. A forward comes his way and he just skates to the side and swings his stick aimlessly. Wasted 5th round pick right here.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Reilly is the second coming of Beaulieu. Not quite the same, but theyre similar in the sense that both suck defensively and are good skaters in a pretty big body. Reilly is too risky for what he is. If he was putting up 40 points a game, his mistakes would be fine- but instead we have a bottom pairing defenseman walking out infront of his own net and coughing the puck up, and getting walked repeatedly. A forward comes his way and he just skates to the side and swings his stick aimlessly. Wasted 5th round pick right here.
At least it’s only a 5th round pick
I agree yes is very weak defensively but the Habs D is slow. Hopefully he can be bottom pairing D man that can move the puck but just don’t expect much more that that. He has no physical game at all. He won’t be Penalty killing very often. His skating is the only thing he has going for him.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
At least it’s only a 5th round pick
I agree yes is very weak defensively but the Habs D is slow. Hopefully he can be bottom pairing D man that can move the puck but just don’t expect much more that that.
Yeah, I can live with the cost. Still not a fan though.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Yeah, I can live with the cost. Still not a fan though

At least he can skate a bit. Alzner and benn are just so slow. I don’t even know if Reilly is on the team next year. Weber-alzner-mete-Juliane-benn-schlemko-Reilly. That’s just a really bad d Core outside of Weber
Mete will get better but is young so a Juulsen
Unless We get Dahlin , significant upgrades are needed on the back end and we still don’t have a #1or 2 centre

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

He could probably do 1/80 of that and it would be fine.

Reactions: MasterD

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
These games are meaningless and if anything we aren't trying to get points. Let these young guys play, make their mistakes and learn. We'll be better for it.

We definitely need to give the young guys looks. Two things I'd like to try, in addition to seeing a lot of Reilly and Valiev:

1. Try De la Rose on D. I'm fine with giving him some more time at forward, but he's consistently shown he doesn't have offensive aptitude. He's a beast, a great skater, makes smart decisions with the puck, he just doesn't create offense. Sounds like a player that could potentially be a top 4 dman. Plus he's a lefty.

2. Try Galchenyuk at center. No explanation needed.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
We definitely need to give the young guys looks. Two things I'd like to try, in addition to seeing a lot of Reilly and Valiev:

1. Try De la Rose on D. I'm fine with giving him some more time at forward, but he's consistently shown he doesn't have offensive aptitude. He's a beast, a great skater, makes smart decisions with the puck, he just doesn't create offense. Sounds like a player that could potentially be a top 4 dman. Plus he's a lefty.

2. Try Galchenyuk at center. No explanation needed.
The first thing would be absolutely dreadful.

The 2nd thing could be worth a shot. Galchenyuk is finally starting to play with some compete and effort out there, so I doubt he'd be worse than Drouin. Also moving the Drouin to the wing could allow him to finish the year on a positive note, as well Chucky could use a playmaking winger if he's at center too.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Go ahead, I would like to hear your reasons...
You can move defenders up front alot easier than moving forwards back. Backwards skating for one, has to be elite to play defence. It's also a position where experience is of the utmost improtance, and DLR would have zero. As well, he's starting to look decent at center.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
You can move defenders up front alot easier than moving forwards back. Backwards skating for one, has to be elite to play defence. It's also a position where experience is of the utmost improtance, and DLR would have zero. As well, he's starting to look decent at center.

Well the games are meaningless now. He would definitely have to play through mistakes. But having a lot of experience at the NHL level helps. But yes, it may be too late to learn the finer points.

It never worked with Dandenault when Bowman tried it. But I think that's more because Dandenault wasn't a great stick handler. De la Rose is much more solid in his fundamentals than Dandenault - skating, stickhandling, and reading the play wise.

I know Andrei Markov started off his career at center. Not sure how old he was when he made the switch.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Reilly is OK defending line rushes, and the front of the net. Not the most physical, but otherwise has the tools. Where he is at fault is when he tries to do too much in his own zone when he has the puck either by carrying it too long or by making risky passes. He also tends to make risky pinches in the O zone, and stay up ice too long on rushes, leaving his D partner facing an odd man rush should the puck turnover.

All of these things are judgement issues, not physical issues. They can be fixed, I think, with patience, and good coaching. Every time he got TOI in MN he tried to "make things happen", rather than let the game come to him. Understandable, as he had Brodin and Suter playing ahead of him, was fighting two others for 3rd pairing minutes, and felt he had to get noticed in order to play more.

He is not a meat and potatoes 3rd pairing Dman. If you expect that you will be constantly disappointed. He is Subban lite, basically. Remember the early years when he would make a great play, then an awful one? That's sort of where Reilly is right now.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
DLR hasn't showed he's capable of filling a 3rd line center role yet, let alone for a full season. So we have one - Danault.

What I'm arguing is: we don't need bottom six centers. We need top 4 LHD. IF, and I do know it's a big if, but if DLR can play D, that's where his skillset (excellent skater, reads the play well, makes good decisions with the puck, is a beast physically) would be best used. Last thing we need is another forward who lacks offensive skills.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
What I'm arguing is: we don't need bottom six centers.
Got ya.

We need top 4 LHD. IF, and I do know it's a big if, but if DLR can play D, that's where his skillset (excellent skater, reads the play well, makes good decisions with the puck, is a beast physically) would be best used. Last thing we need is another forward who lacks offensive skills.
Dunno about this. It's a pretty big stretch, imo. Markov made the switch but he had just turned 19 and was not a full year removed from being drafted. This is DLR's 5th post-draft year. And while he is responsible defensively, he doesn't have the smarts Markov had.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yeah, I can live with the cost. Still not a fan though.
You think this 5th rounder (Washington pick so around pick 150) will carve out a better career than Reilly?

This player won't even be ready till the 2023 season......and that's if he makes it!

Right now, we have a solid 5 that can skate, and handle the puck. He plays with an edge, I "Reilly" like this player :D

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
You think this 5th rounder (Washington pick so around pick 150) will carve out a better career than Reilly?

This player won't even be ready till the 2023 season......and that's if he makes it!

Right now, we have a solid 5 that can skate, and handle the puck. He plays with an edge, I "Reilly" like this player :D
It's not that I think Reilly isn't better than a 5th round pick- it's that I don't understand why you pay for a guy like Reilly just to clog up your system even more and block guys like Lernout from coming up. He's easily replacable in UFA anyways, so why give up an asset unnecessarily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad