Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I understand your logic, sums up well how everyone here feels i think. But that doesn't mean jaffy doesn't make a good point. You have to acknowledge that there are just as much blind haters than there are blind supporters for MB. For every fan like jaffy who is willing to wait and see there are many exhausted, vocal fans that won't acknowledge or give credit to MB for anything.

But the end result is what matters. You can give credit to MB for the Danault trade. The Byron pickup. Even the Niemi pickup. Those moves do not change AT ALL where we are right now. Which is as bad as when he picked up the team. Some will say that our prospect pool is much better but that's TOTAL hindsight, we could go back to where we were back then, and we would have been told that the pool was fine. But NOW it was disastrous. And anyway, Bergevin has NOTHING to do with the pool. It's Timmins from start to finish. Bergevin keeps saying that himself. But those people don't listen. So giving credit to a GM is actually happening the day the team does something. How the heck should we give credit to him when we are about to finish bottom 5?

Reilly was a fine pickup. I want Bergevin gone....and I still said that. He was worth trading for. No problem with that. But Réjean Houle made some good trades. Even Mike Milbury did. It doesn't change the fact that the lack of vision and real plan is affecting this team. And picking up Reilly doesn't change that fact.

But....going back to Reilly......so far so good. Remains to be seen how he would far on a top 6 of a team that REALLY is challenging for a playoff position or the Cup. It's fun seeing guys showing their stuff when the game doesn't count. But does he has a spot on a top 6 once the team will, one day, be relevant? Remains to be seen.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
give it one bad game and he'll be the worst trade bergevin ever made etc.

See....that's an argument like that that starts everything. Bergie defenders want the "haters" to let it go and enjoy what is going well. And when we do, we have a reply like that.....Don't worry about that....Bergevin has done a whole lot worse so there's no chance of that happening...

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I hope we got a steal in Reilly but like Juulsen, Scherbak, etc... what happens now doesn't impress me that much, there's nothing to play for and teams are likely thinking about the next game when they see they play us next. Let's see what they do next year in a full season, in no way am I saying they won't be good just that when you are one of the worst teams in the league, doing good things in March is less impressive.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I hope we got a steal in Reilly but like Juulsen, Scherbak, etc... what happens now doesn't impress me that much, there's nothing to play for and teams are likely thinking about the next game when they see they play us next. Let's see what they do next year in a full season, in no way am I saying they won't be good just that when you are one of the worst teams in the league, doing good things in March is less impressive.

That's exactly it. People just never learn. Though we have totally the right to be enthusiastic about him, and I like what I see, it means nothing as far as the rest of his career here, and not even what's happening with him next year. But it's so much better to give a shot at that kind of player rather than those slow and pure defensive d-men like Benn, Alzner and Co....

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Its funny you write this - yet Galchenyuk's 30 goal season achieved under similar circumstances, is constantly held up as some type of evidence that he's a budding #1C being stifled by the organization (not saying you have this opinion btw).

Anyways, Reilly has looked good and I don't see what the issue is with pointing that out, it's a whole other to start projecting what we see today into next year and the future.

But damn...is anyone allowed to be happy/excited about anything here? It seems unless your sh***ing on the team in every post, it's hard to get any opinion across.

There are only 2 things left for Habs fans to do the rest of the season.

Complain or evaluate the young players getting a shot, Reilly falls under the latter.

To each his own I guess.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Its funny you write this - yet Galchenyuk's 30 goal season achieved under similar circumstances, is constantly held up as some type of evidence that he's a budding #1C being stifled by the organization (not saying you have this opinion btw).

Anyways, Reilly has looked good and I don't see what the issue is with pointing that out, it's a whole other to start projecting what we see today into next year and the future.

But damn...is anyone allowed to be happy/excited about anything here? It seems unless your sh***ing on the team in every post, it's hard to get any opinion across.

until MB is fired and Lefebvre, CJ and others go with him, I don't see the point in being happy/excited since there's no telling how much more damage is going to be done. We'll see what happens, maybe things just turnaround but I so much hate the decisions they are making. Calling up Juulsen, playing Mete in the NHL at 19, yo-yoing McCarron/DLR. Not playing Carr, Jerabek every game, etc....

As for Galchenyuk I don't get the point, since I'm talking about the season already be over, no pressure in the last few weeks of the season, teams are tired and aren't going to give it their all when facing us. If you suck in March/April then I just think if you do well then doesn't mean much is my point. Doesn't mean people can't get excited for Juulsen, Scherbak, Reilly though, just imo we should temper expectations based on their play in March/April when there's nothing to play for.

durojean

May 29, 2007

There are only 2 things left for Habs fans to do the rest of the season.

Complain or evaluate the young players getting a shot, Reilly falls under the latter.

To each his own I guess.

It is more his ending of that season plus the beginning of the next season that makes us believe Galchenyuk is a better center.

Plus his history there.

He produced at the same pace centering Prust and Gallagher in his first season than when he was pleks winger.

There was only 2 stretch at center when he did not look so good and it was when he centered Eller and Semin and after a big knee injury.

The rest of the time he at least a lot better than when he is at wing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
until MB is fired and Lefebvre, CJ and others go with him, I don't see the point in being happy/excited since there's no telling how much more damage is going to be done. We'll see what happens, maybe things just turnaround but I so much hate the decisions they are making. Calling up Juulsen, playing Mete in the NHL at 19, yo-yoing McCarron/DLR. Not playing Carr, Jerabek every game, etc....
While all of this is true - i still don't see why some can't enjoy what they're seeing. I complain all the time that this team doesn't trust its young players..

Well they're finally getting a shot, all we can do if we choose to watch games from here on out is either complain or evaluate what we see.

I like what guys like DLR, Reilly, Scherbak are showing right now, do I think it's a sign of what to expect next year, I've been following hockey way too long to expect that.

But still...this is all we have left to do this season other then whining about management/coaching/ownership and I feel I do enough of that myself, it's good to sprinkle in some positive vibes from time to time.

Every single thread on this board is littered with the same things over and over again, no matter what the thread topic.

as for Galchenyuk I don't get the point, since I'm talking about the season already be over, no pressure in the last few weeks of the season, teams are tired and aren't going to give it their all when facing us. If you suck in March/April then I just think if you do well then doesn't mean much is my point.
I argued the same thing when Galchenyuk's got his 30 goals in similar circumstances, so we agree, that's the point I was making.
Doesn't mean people can't get excited for Juulsen, Scherbak, Reilly though, just imo we should temper expectations based on their play in March/April when there's nothing to play for.

It sure seems like people can't get excited about them, the moment even the slightest bit of positivity is posted, you've got folks trying to snuff it out.

Reactions: Redux91

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It is more his ending of that season plus the beginning of the next season that makes us believe Galchenyuk is a better center.

Plus his history there.

He produced at the same pace centering Prust and Gallagher in his first season than when he was pleks winger.

There was only 2 stretch at center when he did not look so good and it was when he centered Eller and Semin and after a big knee injury.

The rest of the time he at least a lot better than when he is at wing.
I also believe he should be playing center - but that 30 goal season didn't mean much to me and it's not the main reason why I believe he should be playing center (but he's not and i've come to grips with that fact)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
While all of this is true - i still don't see why some can't enjoy what they're seeing.

It sure seems like people can't get excited about them, the moment even the slightest bit of positivity is posted, you've got folks trying to snuff it out.

no one is saying you can't enjoy it, I'm just saying to others don't read too much into it as some will when you have nothing else to look forward to from this team.

As for the board, I don't blame them for being so pissed off, some just don't know how to channel it better then others. Emotions can get the better of people, especially when they care so much about something that they see being so poorly handled and can see that it's possibly going to get worse before it gets better.

Reactions: 417

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Would be nice to have this turn into a steal acquisition. Wish we could enjoy the hope of it without having every little positive thing get shoved down our throats as some sort of proof of Begrevin's genius. As if to be bad management, there needs to be a 100% failure rate.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Would be nice to have this turn into a steal acquisition. Wish we could enjoy the hope of it without having every little positive thing get shoved down our throats as some sort of proof of Begrevin's genius. As if to be bad management, there needs to be a 100% failure rate.
LOL who did this?

show me one post in this thread that indicates anyone thinks this move proves Bergevin is a genius.

jeez lol

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I'm sorry, but if I'm at a restaurant and my steak is overcooked, the potatoes undercooked, my drink had a fly in it, and the waiter is rude, I'm not going to rant and rave that the seasonal veggies were spot on.

Reactions: Price is Wright

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
This organization changes d-men like dirty underwear. Another new broom that's getting the opportunity to sweep clean.

Honestly, Reilly does look like he has a skill set. Is this where we are supposed to go
:banana:?

It would be nice if just one of these guys pans out super quickly before the organization casts another one off into the sunset. Of course even if they are very good (Markov/Subban) the organization doesn't seem to want them.

Keeping with true MB form maybe he'll make a bid for Morgan Rielly. Then the Habs can have the Mike and Morgan d pairing out on the ice with the Shaw's.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm sorry, but if I'm at a restaurant and my steak is overcooked, the potatoes undercooked, my drink had a fly in it, and the waiter is rude, I'm not going to rant and rave that the seasonal veggies were spot on.

But we're not at a restaurant and as bad as this team has been this year and as bad as the GM has screwed this team up, there are still parts of this team, individual players whether at the NHL level, AHL/Europe or CHL that we can "rave" about.

Ryan Poehling is doing impressive things in college, does that mean I can't 'rave' about him because Bergevin screwed up?

I mean seriously, what kind of silly analogy is that.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
But we're not at a restaurant and as bad as this team has been this year and as bad as the GM has screwed this team up, there are still parts of this team, individual players whether at the NHL level, AHL/Europe or CHL that we can "rave" about.

Ryan Poehling is doing impressive things in college, does that mean I can't 'rave' about him because Bergevin screwed up?

I mean seriously, what kind of silly analogy is that.

There isn't anything wrong with pointing out Reilly might be a decent third pairing or Poehling may be an serviceable middle 6 center. But when others say we should ignore the rest of the eff ups on the team because of a couple small bright spots that they're out of line.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think Joel Hanley had a similar run production wise when he first joined the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00