Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I clearly stated it would be a 3 balanced pairings scenario. We started this season with a 19 year old playing with Weber. Last year Beaulieu started with Weber. I'd have no problem giving Reilly the same opportunity.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This is true. We have to be cautious about how we evaluate players down the stretch here. It's fun to watch them and get a sense for them, but it's not wise to take too much stock in projections based on these games.

Specially the offensive part. We are facing number 2 half the time. We faced 5 number 2 in the last 10 games ... usually you should face number 2 around 20-25% of the time. Pretty clear the other teams don't take us seriously at all.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I clearly stated it would be a 3 balanced pairings scenario. We started this season with a 19 year old playing with Weber. Last year Beaulieu started with Weber. I'd have no problem giving Reilly the same opportunity.
We started the season with a 19 year old 'cause we had no other choices and it was still seen as a terrible lineup. We did not have a great D this year. A balanced but bad lineup doesn't make it good 'cause it's "balanced".

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
We started the season with a 19 year old 'cause we had no other choices and it was still seen as a terrible lineup. We did not have a great D this year. A balanced but bad lineup doesn't make it good 'cause it's "balanced".
So what are you suggesting? Isn't the plan to go young next year and perhaps have a shot at Jack Hughes?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
People just never learn. A guy who comes in on a new team does well. In a time where there are absolutely no challenges and goals. And now, in March, he's a candiate for 1st pairing. Insane. No need to get a d-man Bergie....you have one already.

People don't remember how Benn looked at first? People and Bergie don't remember how Schlemko was supposed to come in and save the day?

Yes, Reilly looks good now. What does that mean? It means that he's buying himself a ticket to NEXT PRESEASON. That's all.

the blueline is terrible so Reilly getting paired up with Weber makes a ton of sense vs what we have. Yes we need a defensemen but the last few MB got either are slow, or have almost no offensive upsides. We know Reilly killed it in the NCAA and AHL, we have to guess if he can in the NHL but what other choice based off the current roster do we have? Mete but he needs more offense imo, I would slot Reilly there since what do we have to lose, since we should easily suck again next year unless Price is back to his sub 2 goals per game.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
the blueline is terrible so Reilly getting paired up with Weber makes a ton of sense vs what we have. Yes we need a defensemen but the last few MB got either are slow, or have almost no offensive upsides. We know Reilly killed it in the NCAA and AHL, we have to guess if he can in the NHL but what other choice based off the current roster do we have? Mete but he needs more offense imo, I would slot Reilly there since what do we have to lose, since we should easily suck again next year unless Price is back to his sub 2 goals per game.

His AHL stats are very similar to beaulieu.

Reilly 103 game 54 points -24 (0.52ppg)
Beaulieu 132 games 62 points -29 (0.47 ppg)

I have no problem with giving him one last chance to prove himself but unlike many here i'm not expecting the moon for a guy we got for a mere 5th round pick. I sure do hope we have a batter plan for the next 3 years.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Where are Schlemko and Benn ? :sarcasm:

Benn was a filler pickup in a playoff year, who played above his ability.

Schlemko was a trade from the Knights, who collected D to trade in the expansion draft for a 5th round pick. He had played below expectations.

Where will Reilly end up? He is looking good so far. Young, and still not beyond that point of never make it.

These last twenty games of the season are like an extended training camp. I’m excited to see them play, and will take it in the context of hopeful prospects playing battle ready teams. Juulsen, Sherbak, Lingren, Reilly, Valiev, Lernout, Lehkonen, ... Rychel? 20 games at this time of the season will give quite a few players and lines a chance to see the intensity of heading in to the NHL playoffs. Maybe for some, good motivation to get in the best shape of tbeir lives.

Same for any Junior or Varsity players to the Rocket. A missed playoff gives you time to check out new things. So far, Julien has been letting the kids run. It is good.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Benn was a filler pickup in a playoff year, who played above his ability.

Schlemko was a trade from the Knights, who collected D to trade in the expansion draft for a 5th round pick. He had played below expectations.

Where will Reilly end up? He is looking good so far. Young, and still not beyond that point of never make it.

These last twenty games of the season are like an extended training camp. I’m excited to see them play, and will take it in the context of hopeful prospects playing battle ready teams. Juulsen, Sherbak, Lingren, Reilly, Valiev, Lernout, Lehkonen, ... Rychel? 20 games at this time of the season will give quite a few players and lines a chance to see the intensity of heading in to the NHL playoffs. Maybe for some, good motivation to get in the best shape of tbeir lives.

Same for any Junior or Varsity players to the Rocket. A missed playoff gives you time to check out new things. So far, Julien has been letting the kids run. It is good.

If Reilly - Juulsen would work, that would be where Reilly should be. But, Juulsen may need to play with a veteran.

If Mete is ready for the NHL next year:

____ Weber
Mete Petry
Reilly Juulsen

If we can't find a LHD to play with Weber:

Petry Weber
Alzner Juulsen
Reilly Benn

Mete plays 20 minutes in Laval

Reactions: Bacchus1

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
People love to OCD with their D pairings and have their #1 play with their #2, their #3 play with their #4 and etc. But in reality, I believe it is better to have your best D anchoring separate pairings...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Lernout could take someone's spot if he shows a little bit more down the road. Big kid , can skate..

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
People love to OCD with their D pairings and have their #1 play with their #2, their #3 play with their #4 and etc. But in reality, I believe it is better to have your best D anchoring separate pairings...

Doesn't make it right to not have a number 2 though. It's okay to play your number 2 on the 2nd pairing but you got to have a number 2. We don't have a number 2 right now. We have a number 1 in weber, a number 3 or 4 in Petry and a bunch of 5/6.

There's no trouble with

#4 - #1
#2 - #3

There's a big problem with

#4 - #1
#5 - #3

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
5 assists in 6gp. On pace for 68 assists!:D

Hope he works out for you. He needs tons of TOI, and to stay injury free(always has been). If he can be average defensively, then it will be a huge win for you guys, as he is always going to contribute offensively. Could see him being paired with Weber on the PP. He's more of a QB than a shooter.

Reactions: Maitz

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
5 assists in 6gp. On pace for 68 assists!:D

Hope he works out for you. He needs tons of TOI, and to stay injury free(always has been). If he can be average defensively, then it will be a huge win for you guys, as he is always going to contribute offensively. Could see him being paired with Weber on the PP. He's more of a QB than a shooter.
Really like what I’ve seen from him so far, it’s weird to say that we got him for a 5th and got a 4th for Morrow. What was his situation in MIN, did he got less icetime because of turnovers and bad decisions or was it because too much good Dmen were in front of him?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Really like what I’ve seen from him so far, it’s weird to say that we got him for a 5th and got a 4th for Morrow. What was his situation in MIN, did he got less icetime because of turnovers and bad decisions or was it because too much good Dmen were in front of him?
Well, he's got top 4 skills, but had Suter and Brodin ahead of him. Olofsson, and recently Seeler, were the two other LHD (that play a more conservative style) that he was fighting for TOI with. Seeler is a big, tough guy, and Olofsson also would be a top 4 on some teams, I think. Every time Reilly got on the ice I think he tried to do too much, which in his case meant he tried to make things happen offensively, resulting in some bad mistakes. On a team like MN, which already has Suter, Spurgeon, and Dumba( all will score at least 40 points, and Suter 50)providing plenty of offense, we needed a solid defensive guy more than anything else, and we were out of options with Reilly, so he couldn't be sent down, w/o running the risk of losing him for nothing.

If he was a RHD we never would've traded him. It still isn't a sure thing that he will be a NHL'er, but as you can see, he has some great skating and puckhandling skills, as well as good offensive vision. He will always be the type to make you pull your hair out with risky plays( a la J C Tremblay)once in a while, but if he can limit those he will be an asset. I sometimes wonder about his defensive hockey IQ, but i have seen him play well there. Maybe if he gets lots of TOI he'll be too tired to make those risky, impulsive plays. Sorta like tiring out a dog by throwing a stick in the water to fetch so he doesn't tear up the furniture at home.

Certainly a steal for a 5th....thought we would get at least a 3rd. I think that a Coyle +(Reilly?) for MaxPac deal was being talked about at the TDL, but MN got cold feet and they decided to do the Reilly deal instead. We simply couldn't carry 3 3rd pairing LHD.

Reactions: Redux91 and Maitz

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
If Reilly - Juulsen would work, that would be where Reilly should be. But, Juulsen may need to play with a veteran.

If Mete is ready for the NHL next year:

____ Weber
Mete Petry
Reilly Juulsen

If we can't find a LHD to play with Weber:

Petry Weber
Alzner Juulsen
Reilly Benn

Mete plays 20 minutes in Laval

Realistically, I think we need to count on Alzner being there. I think it is highly unlikely we're able to move him this summer. I think he's decent 3rd pairing vet, but massively overpaid for that role. I like the Mete-Petry pairing as I that that is the best position for Mete. Petry has always been a possession monster and I think Mete can add an element of speed and headiness to that pairing to make it even better. Playing alongside Weber is asking too much of Mete at this point IMO.

That said, it's also asking too much of Reilly, but we really have no better options so I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I think Schlemko is the odd man out so hopefully we can move him. Obviously, that LD position next to Weber is crucial.

Reilly - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Benn/Valiev

PP1: Weber with 4 forwards
PP2: Petry with 4 forwards

PK1: Alzner-Weber
PK2: Petry-Juulsen/Benn

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Realistically, I think we need to count on Alzner being there. I think it is highly unlikely we're able to move him this summer. I think he's decent 3rd pairing vet, but massively overpaid for that role. I like the Mete-Petry pairing as I that that is the best position for Mete. Petry has always been a possession monster and I think Mete can add an element of speed and headiness to that pairing to make it even better. Playing alongside Weber is asking too much of Mete at this point IMO.

That said, it's also asking too much of Reilly, but we really have no better options so I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I think Schlemko is the odd man out so hopefully we can move him. Obviously, that LD position next to Weber is crucial.

Reilly - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Benn/Valiev

PP1: Weber with 4 forwards
PP2: Petry with 4 forwards

PK1: Alzner-Weber
PK2: Petry-Juulsen/Benn

I'd like to bring Reilly along slowly. Then again, Weber can cover up for his partner's mistakes.

I noticed watching highlights of Dahlin that a lot of his points come when he lines up on his wrong side. I know Europeans are more used to playing their off side, but I wonder if a skilled player like Petry or Weber could play their offside. Would love to see Weber open for a one timer all night 5 on 5 and it would solve the problem of finding Weber a 1st pairing partner.

Weber Petry
Mete/Alzner Juulsen
Reilly Benn

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Lernout could take someone's spot if he shows a little bit more down the road. Big kid , can skate..

Absolutely, I think Lernout can be the guy on the third pairing who plays important PK minutes. He's easily capable of replacing Benn or example.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I'd like to bring Reilly along slowly. Then again, Weber can cover up for his partner's mistakes.

I noticed watching highlights of Dahlin that a lot of his points come when he lines up on his wrong side. I know Europeans are more used to playing their off side, but I wonder if a skilled player like Petry or Weber could play their offside. Would love to see Weber open for a one timer all night 5 on 5 and it would solve the problem of finding Weber a 1st pairing partner.

Weber Petry
Mete/Alzner Juulsen
Reilly Benn

Reilly is already 25 is he not? I don't think he's the solution to the top pair either, but I'm also not worried about bringing him up slowly.

I think they tried Petry on the left side during Weber's 1st training camp with us, but it didn't take. A left-handed version of Petry would be an excellent compliment to Weber, but as it stands I think those two should be on their own pairings. I also don't see Weber being very successful on his off-side. He's not the best puckhander out there and he could get handcuffed playing the left side.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The trade could easily have been made AFTER the deadline.. We were not making the playoffs anyways so no difference.
Why after the deadline?....why not now and see what we got with him. I'll tell you one thing, Reilly is doing a lot better than 5th round pick. 5th round pick (WAS 19) has zero points so far, Reilly has what....5??

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Reilly is already 25 is he not? I don't think he's the solution to the top pair either, but I'm also not worried about bringing him up slowly.

I think they tried Petry on the left side during Weber's 1st training camp with us, but it didn't take. A left-handed version of Petry would be an excellent compliment to Weber, but as it stands I think those two should be on their own pairings. I also don't see Weber being very successful on his off-side. He's not the best puckhander out there and he could get handcuffed playing the left side.

Well after this year, I fully expect at least one new face on the blueline. No doubt Bergevin will try to find a top pairing dman. And although that's our biggest need, it's a scary thought to think of Bergevin going shopping for a top pairing dman. He will do doubt either over pay for a UFA or trade better assets for one, and probably get an Alzner level player anyways.

Valiev has looked a little slow for my liking, but I pray he or Reilly can claim the top spot until Bergevin is finally fired.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I do believe our dcore now, without Schlemko, Davidson, and Morrow, and with Juulsen, Reilly, and Valiev is better than our dcore at the start of the year. Juulsen is the key.

We probably would have had a much better record if Weber didn't play injured half the year and miss the 2nd half and if Juulsen were not injured. We wouldn't be contenders, but we would've been better. Both were injured while blocking shots by turning sideways. Our d really need to be taught to face the shooters when blocking shots.

Reactions: Redux91 and jaffy27

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Well, he's got top 4 skills, but had Suter and Brodin ahead of him. Olofsson, and recently Seeler, were the two other LHD (that play a more conservative style) that he was fighting for TOI with. Seeler is a big, tough guy, and Olofsson also would be a top 4 on some teams, I think. Every time Reilly got on the ice I think he tried to do too much, which in his case meant he tried to make things happen offensively, resulting in some bad mistakes. On a team like MN, which already has Suter, Spurgeon, and Dumba( all will score at least 40 points, and Suter 50)providing plenty of offense, we needed a solid defensive guy more than anything else, and we were out of options with Reilly, so he couldn't be sent down, w/o running the risk of losing him for nothing.

If he was a RHD we never would've traded him. It still isn't a sure thing that he will be a NHL'er, but as you can see, he has some great skating and puckhandling skills, as well as good offensive vision. He will always be the type to make you pull your hair out with risky plays( a la J C Tremblay)once in a while, but if he can limit those he will be an asset. I sometimes wonder about his defensive hockey IQ, but i have seen him play well there. Maybe if he gets lots of TOI he'll be too tired to make those risky, impulsive plays. Sorta like tiring out a dog by throwing a stick in the water to fetch so he doesn't tear up the furniture at home.

Certainly a steal for a 5th....thought we would get at least a 3rd. I think that a Coyle +(Reilly?) for MaxPac deal was being talked about at the TDL, but MN got cold feet and they decided to do the Reilly deal instead. We simply couldn't carry 3 3rd pairing LHD.
Thanks! He kind of remind me of a LHD Justin Schultz when I see him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad